BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

'GREEN LINE # 306 COMES HOME'

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. Linsky
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:57 am    Post subject: 'GREEN LINE # 306 COMES HOME' Reply with quote

This is a very special presentation which has much personal meaning to me as I had many occasions to drive the subject bus during the three summers that I worked for Green Line.

Pictured below (top) is fleet number 306 - a 1949 GM Model TDH 4507 and one of 10 (301 to 310) delivered to Green Bus Lines of Cornell Park, New York in January of that year.

Originally built for and rejected by a company in northern New York, these buses were picked up by Green Line at a clearance sale price in view of the already proliferating all new TDH 4509's.

Unlike the company's earlier 4507's (926 to 950) which were built to Surface Transportation System (NY) specifications, these buses had sealed beam headlamps, inward opening front doors, auxiliary underseat and dashboard heaters and no perilous rear door treadle steps!

Had the # 306 photo been in color you would have seen the first factory application of Green Line's well know apple green and cream livery.

All of these buses were sold to Reading Bus Company of Reading, Pennsylvania in the early sixties to serve out their useful lives and then to be put out to pasture as seen in the lower photo of number 302.

Number 306 is seen on the Q35 Marine Parkway line heading over the then Marine Parkway Bridge from Rockaway Park to the Flatbush and Nostrand IRT subway station in Brooklyn.

Once again, I have my good friend Hartbus to thank for leading me to another great piece of Green Line history.

Mr. Linsky - Green Bus Lines, Inc., Jamaica, NY

nycbusfan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for posting this Mr. L. I just rode the Q35 for the first time on monday and it's nice to see a photo of what operated on that line before I was born.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> New York City Buses All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: