BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

PHOTOS - 1987 CT Transit Bus Accident
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Photographs, Bus Logs and Route Suggestion Ideas
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bill D

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 7:57 am    Post subject: PHOTOS - 1987 CT Transit Bus Accident Reply with quote

I recently found some old photos of CT Transit T6H-5308A #3073, showing the damage resulting from an accident in 1987. I was able to locate a news article at the local library, giving the details of what happened that day.

Bus #3073 had left dowtown Waterbury at 4:30 pm on the afternoon of April 20, 1987 and was headed to New Haven, operating on what was then known as the "U" route (today's J4 route). Traveling eastbound on East Main Street near the Waterbury - Cheshire town line, the bus was rounding a curve in the road when a box truck, traveling at a high rate of speed was approaching in the opposite direction. As the truck entered the curve, its' load, which consisted of one-gallon cans of pizza sauce, shifted. The truck driver lost control of the vehicle as one side lifted off the ground. It crossed into the oncoming lane and sideswiped the bus, and then rolled over at least one time.

Ten people, including eight on the bus and the two occupants of the truck were injured, some seriously. Firefighters had to extracate two of the bus passengers from the vehicle. Fortunately, the truck missed striking the bus driver's compartment directly, so his injuries were not severe.

The cans of pizza sauce in the truck broke open and sprayed all over the bus, as well as the street. The odor of the sauce filled the air.

The bus was towed to a nearby garage, where I took these pictures the following day. Clicking on the photo will take you to the gallery where the rest of the set is located.

Bill

Last edited by Bill D on Fri Mar 06, 2009 6:17 am; edited 1 time in total
Mr. Linsky
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill,

I don't think that I have ever seen a bus, much less a new look, so badly damaged!

And you're right about how lucky the driver was because one concern I have always had about the New Look design was the excessive exposure to injury that a driver might suffer considering the amount of glass area surrounding the operators compartment.

Thanks for sharing.

Mr. Linsky - Green Bus Lines, Inc., Jamaica, NY
BigLarry

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own a sister bus to that wreck -- former Connecticut Transit #8308. It is also a T8H-5308A, same exact livery, same rollsign. I keep it in good running condition. I would post a photo of it here if someone tells me how to upload it.

Big Larry
BigLarry

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 5:45 pm    Post subject: Let's see if this works -- photo of my bus Reply with quote

[img]http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=30348678&l=32ef3&id=1069184741[/img]
[color=dark blue]
This is my former Connecticut Transit bus, #8308, surviving sister of the poor bus pictured above.

Big Larry
[/font][/img]
Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big Larry,

As the unofficial welcoming committe here at BusTalk, let me do just that and tell you that we very much look forward to your valued input (although you could make the words normal size if you like!).

Posting photographs on this site must be done via a web based photo service such as either 'Flickr' or 'Photo Bucket'(I find Photo Bucket to be pretty good.

These free services allow you to transfer images from your personal files to their site for re-transmission here, and they will help you along the way if you're unfamiliar with the procedure.

In the meantime, we will watch for posting of # 8308.

BigLarry

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 11:51 pm    Post subject: Connecticut Transit Fishbowl 8308 Reply with quote

Thanks Mr. Linsky. At age 51, I find large type to be sugar for my eyes. In any event, until I figure out this photobucket thing, anyone wishing to see my bus can click this link, or copy and paste this link into the address line:
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=30348678&l=32ef3&id=1069184741

Big Larry
Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Larry,

I can understand your sight situation so do whatever is most comfortable for you.

Beautiful bus that I'm certain our Connecticut expert Bill D. will enjoy.

Do you keep it on Long Island?

Anyway, I'll do you a big one and post it below.

Thanks for sharing.

Bill D

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to Bus Talk, Larry!

It's nice to see that you have preserved one of the 8300's. We operated 8 of them in Waterbury between 1994 and 1996 (but not 8308). The 8V72 engines had more than enough power to tackle Waterbury's hills, and enough reserve to keep the AC cooling the passengers as well. They were a well liked group of buses.

The 3000 series, on the other hand, had V6's and required regearing of the differentials for use on many routes in Waterbury. They were still a good bus, and many of them were in service for over 20 years.

Bill
BigLarry

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 1:35 pm    Post subject: Connecticut Transit Fishbowl Reply with quote

Thank you, Mr. Linsky, for posting my Fishbowl photo. And hello to Bill D! When I bought 8308 from Double A Transportation, it was well-maintained except that the a/c and heat did not work. I drove the bus to a bus restorer in Pennsylvania who replaced some missing parts (thankfully the compressor was still there), recharged it with freon (and thankfully it uses the "new" freon and not the old R-12 which costs $1,000 a gallon now), and now I have one of the very few Fishbowls with the original a/c working! It needed a new heater core, which cost me $600. Not sure if I got hosed on that price.

But I absolutely love my Fishbowl. I'm currently working out a deal with the owner of an Old Look, and I hope to have that in a couple of months.

I'm also looking for a nice Baby Fishbowl and hope one day to add a 30-foot RTS (very hard to find) to my "fleet."

Big Larry
ripta42
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Linsky wrote:
Posting photographs on this site must be done via a web based photo service such as either 'Flickr' or 'Photo Bucket'(I find Photo Bucket to be pretty good.

Or gallery.bustalk.info Smile
Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael,

Could you elaberate?

If there's an easier way to add pictures to our posts, I'm all ears!

Mr. 'L'
ripta42
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just advocating putting photos in our own Galleries instead of Photobucket, et al. Once it's up, just right-click the image and select "Properties" for the address to put between the [img] tags.

On the subject of CT Transit Fishbowls and accidents, here's Double A/ex-CT Transit 8312 in 2002. Apparently the parking brake failed, sending it down a hill resulting in the damage to the front end and windshield.

timecruncher

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

'Baby' fishbowls are a maintenance nightmare, I'm told. The engine is the real problem. Just an FYI.

As for a 30-foot RTS, check and see when Macon, GA will be retiring some of theirs. They have around 15 of them, of differing ages.

You might be able to contact someone using their website:

http://www.mta-mac.com/

Its a typical small-city transit system in the south, but better than most in that all of their equipment is heavy-duty and their service levels are decent (as long as you don't want to ride on Sunday...).

LexTran just up the road from here in Lexington, KY had some really strange variations on RTS coaches: 30-footers that were cut down 40-foot buses! These were/are strange critters indeed, and LexTran didn't take very good care of them. I think they're all retired now, but some of them may be lurking in the Bluegrass area.

timecruncher
BigLarry

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:11 pm    Post subject: Connecticut Transit 8312 Reply with quote

When I bought 8308 from Connecticut Transit, "Tony," who I am told is the son of the owner of the company, told me that 8312 was hit by a school bus that was parked uphill (the right side of the parking lot) without the parking brake on, and it rolled backwards downhill into 8312. Meanwhile, I have made several inquiries to Double A over the past year seeking to buy another New Look or Old Look, and they don't seem interested in selling any, even though they did send me a complete inventory of their historic collection.

Big Larry
ripta42
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoops; looks like I had the story a little mixed up. Thanks for the clarification.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Photographs, Bus Logs and Route Suggestion Ideas All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: