BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Flight 3407, Tragedy at Buffalo,NY
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> General Transportation - All Other Modes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dieseljim
Deceased

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:05 pm    Post subject: Flight 3407, Tragedy at Buffalo,NY Reply with quote

By now, many of you have heard about the tragedy at Buffalo,NY about Continental flight 3407 going down at Clarence Center,NY on approach to Buffalo-Niagara International Airport, which brings me to the question of what the hell was Continental thinking in continuing to fly a turboprop aircraft that is highly susceptible to icing in the kind of weather we had last Thursday night much as American Eagle's ATR's were. In my book, this is one more example of corporate greed run amok. Cut corners even if it means playing Russian Roulette with people's lives. 50 people died needlessly because of this nonsense that has turned the airline industry into a virtual cesspool of greed, corruption,and downright recklessness. Here we have an aircraft that is highly susceptible to inflight icing no matter how potent the equipment is and a crew relatively inexperienced in the operation of the aircraft. This is one hell of a contrast from the Miracle on the Hudson over a couple weeks ago, where everyone survived. At Buffalo, NY there were NO survivors. Being asociated with the fire service in some way, I can understand what the responders rushing to help where it turned out there was no one to help Thursday night. Moreover, it seems to me that many of the CEOs running the nation's airlines have no business being in those jobs. The airline business needs someone who KNOWs the business, NOT a bunch of Wall STreet cokeheads. My god, how the hell many people have got to die before this industry comes to its senses. And this was in my neck of the woods for heaven's sake. Where are Bob Crandall, Bob Six, CR Smith W.A. Patterson when the airline industry needs giants like those men?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
HwyHaulier

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dieseljim -

I've been following this with much interest. All the more so, as my late Dad was a long time career hand with the aircraft builders...

The turboprop aircraft, per se, is not at fault. It is the matter of what aircraft used. The so called, efficient wing design on the lost aircraft is a
bit too spooky for me. Is there really enough of a margin in the total swept area of the design?

Compare, years back, Frontier Airlines ran a large, regional system based at Denver (high altitude) hub throughout its notoriously bad weather
service area. The aircraft of choice was the remodeled Convairliner designs, using the latter CV-440 Turbo Prop variant (good websites show
up on search). There was also a great Japanese "knockoff" of the same general design. It, too, was a reliable performer with other operators...

Beats me exactly what went sour over Clarence. It was not good. Best to keep up with what NTSB determines in its exhautive work...

..................Vern...........
Dieseljim
Deceased

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 2:11 pm    Post subject: Tragedy at Buffalo Reply with quote

That would be a Convair 580, which had Allison turboprops nearly identical to those used on the L188 Electra and C130A Hercules transports. I flew on one of Allegheny's once and thought it was a nice plane.Those converted to Rolls Royce Dart turboprops like those on the Viscount and the Japanese NAMC YS11 twin turboprop (flown by Piedmont Airlines), would be Convair 600 for 240s so converted and 640s for 340s so converted. The Rolls Royce Dart had some nasty vices of its own. If the aircraft so powered should hit rough air, one engine would be likely to shut down, with a blocking device preventing the other from following suit. With two four engine airplanes with this engine, the Viscount and the DeHavilland Argosy, things could get a bit dicey, especially after take off- put thiese birds in rough air and all four engines are likely to shut down. United operated Capital's entire Viscount fleet until they retired them about 1970. Air Canada had Viscounts AND Vanguards (Tyne powered). Hawaiian had Convair 600 turboprop conversions before they went to DC9s. Here in the States alone there were quite afew Rolls Royce dart powered airliners. Even they would be a big improvement over some of the crap put in the air today.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
HwyHaulier

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dieseljim -

Here, you'll like this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdP83gbP7vk

Otherwise. Let's not forget Western Airlines, back in the days when the 707 and 720 types starting getting into place. There was a long period
when some of the rougher WAL routes, say, MPLS - Billings, held down by Lockheed Electras. After the early disasters, and the builder cleaned
up the aircraft's act, it was steady and reliable. Later, the Electra aircraft displaced by 737s...

"Web" is a Convair treasure trove. I located a Netherlands site, guy has it up as a tribute to his Dad's work. Anyway, affectionate review of the
various Convairliner aircraft...

........................Vern.......................
Hart Bus

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While there is certainly enough blame to spread around here, lets not forget those who died.

May all those victims Rest In Peace !
Dieseljim
Deceased

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:58 pm    Post subject: Flight3407 Reply with quote

Amen to that. Let the lawyers sort the blame game out. God bless their souls.
Hart Bus wrote:
While there is certainly enough blame to spread around here, lets not forget those who died.

May all those victims Rest In Peace !
Dieseljim
Deceased

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:54 pm    Post subject: Aftermath of Flight 3407, Turbo Prop Designs Reply with quote

In the aftermath of Flight 3407 near Buffalo,NY last month, and that American Eagle ATR crash in Indiana some several years back, it seems to me that the anti icing defenses put on these aircraft are not anywhere near as good as they should be. While I admire the Dash 8 for its jet like cruise performance, it seems that the ice that brought this aircraft down near Buffalo formed in an area of the wing where it was least expected, thus, when the pilots lowered the gear and flaps, the aircraft became impossible to control and down she went, taking a total of 50 lives with her. Replacing pure jets with this generation of turboprops, especially given how poorly some of them seem to have been designed, is tantamount to cutting corners on safety. Moreover, it seems to me that the most financially unstable airlines, such as Continental, to name one, have had a history of cutting corners on safety in the name of cutting costs, and in this case, killing several dozen people in the process. Reports indicate that the area around Buffalo,NY is notorius for in flight icing conditions, and that these conditions brought down a flight with several dozen souls on board is inexcusable. Yes, there is plenty of blame to go around. What the hell was the FAA thinking when certifying an aircraft with such a built/designed in booby trap as the tendency to ice up where lease expected (near the wing's trailing edge/flap area)? Even a twin t urboprop Convair 580 would be better flying in these conditions than this new crop of turboprops. I would take an Electra over these flying pieces of junk anyday.Some one must have been very retarded to come up with some of these designs.
HwyHaulier

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dieseljim -

In your "tickler file", try to alert us at such time a report issues from NTSB. So far, it has been on the record with its positions critical of
commuter class (smaller) aircraft.

With this particular tragedy (as well as much earlier Indiana disaster) in both instances actual carriers serving as "sub hauler" for larger,
more widely recognized operators.

BTW. On a related safety matter, the LA Metrolink disaster had more press this week. One item in link, follows. News Search on "Metrolink"
gets a lot of hits. http://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/local/Metrolink-Demands-Contractor-Remove-2-Employees.html

.................Vern...............
Dieseljim
Deceased

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:39 am    Post subject: Continental crash in suburban Buffalo - follow-up discussion Reply with quote

Don't forget the security screening one has to go through to even get anywhere near the aircraft to be boarded. Add to that the replacement of standard sized jets with these smaller regional jets and turboprops and you lose a lot of seats right there. There is also the dropping of flights from the schedule. Not only that, but add to the increasing unreliability of the airlines, their increasingly shoddy serviceing practices. We have an airline industry that has been looted and plundered by executives who not only do not know the business as the likes of American's CR Smith, Bob Crandall, United's William A. Patterson, Continental's Bob Six did, or Eddie Rickenbacher when he ran Eastern, but a bunch of Wall Streeters who were clueless about how the transportation business works, just like a certain woman who managed to destroy Empire Trailways in a few short years.While on the subject of Continental, I hope they, Bombardier and their contract operator get taken to the cleaners over the crash of Flight 3407. Could it be that this generation of turboprops is not as capable of handling icing conditions as the manufacturers claim?
RailBus63

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Fixing Amtrak Reply with quote

Dieseljim wrote:
While on the subject of Continental, I hope they, Bombardier and their contract operator get taken to the cleaners over the crash of Flight 3407. Could it be that this generation of turboprops is not as capable of handling icing conditions as the manufacturers claim?

It may not be a Bombardier issue, though - the NTSB appear to be leaning towards pilot error as the cause of the crash according to news reports last week.
Dieseljim
Deceased

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Fixing Amtrak Reply with quote

I heard about the possibility of pilot error,which adds ammunition to the lawsuits being brought against Continental on the basis that the pilot may not have been adequately trained for the airplane he was flying. If proven, that would constitute negligence right there.
RailBus63 wrote:
Dieseljim wrote:
While on the subject of Continental, I hope they, Bombardier and their contract operator get taken to the cleaners over the crash of Flight 3407. Could it be that this generation of turboprops is not as capable of handling icing conditions as the manufacturers claim?

It may not be a Bombardier issue, though - the NTSB appear to be leaning towards pilot error as the cause of the crash according to news reports last week.
RailBus63

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Fixing Amtrak Reply with quote

Dieseljim wrote:
I heard about the possibility of pilot error,which adds ammunition to the lawsuits being brought against Continental on the basis that the pilot may not have been adequately trained for the airplane he was flying. If proven, that would constitute negligence right there.

I'm not a lawyer and I have no idea how easy or hard it is to prove negligence in a case like this (although it is obvious the plaintiffs will try like heck to do so). However, many accidents happen due to plain old human error. The Sully Sullenbergers who deftly land a 737 jet on the surface of the Hudson are probably pretty rare. No matter how well a pilot is trained, we simply do not know how they will react during an actual crisis until one occurs.

In the case of the Continental flight over Buffalo, I've read that the plane was about to stall and that the proper procedure was to push the stick forward and push the nose of the plane down to maintain power and control. Investigators suspect that the pilot did the opposite - he yanked back on the stick to pull the plane up and increased the throttle, and likely guaranteed the stall that he was trying to avoid. Now, I've never had any pilot training whatsoever, but the idea that you are supposed to push the nose down at the same time you are coming in for a landing seems counter-intuitive - every instinct would be telling me to pull up. To me, it appears similar to the dilemma motorists face when we get into a skid on a slick road. We're taught to turn into the skid, but it takes tremendous discipline to do that when you unexpectedly begin skidding towards a ditch or a parked car. Every instinct screams at you to turn the steering wheel in the opposite direction of the skid. Sometimes, despite all our education and training, people just make bad decisions.
timecruncher

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow -- this thread got 'hijacked' into a rant about airline safety, somehow.

The lack of viable options for surface intercity transport was where I thought we were on the subject!

Oh well, I'll chime in on safety procedures with my 2-cents' worth: Railroad engineers will readily admit that if they are faced with a tank truck on a crossing, they will open the throttle wide before ducking below the desktop/bulkhead and whispering a quick 'Hail Mary' in hopes of getting the cab past the ensuing fireball.

A former co-worker of mine (a Metro driver in Cincinnati) was a former PC engineer who encountered this while heading north with an intermodal freight between Cincinnati and Indianapolis in the late 'sixties. This was in the years of Penn-Central, the track was horrible and good for maybe 40mph along the stretch of former Big Four mainline, and he was at the throttle of two or three old E8's with around 50 TOFC cars in tow. PC often used former passenger engines on freights in those years, unable to find enough freight power in operable condition at times.

Anyway, the shiny semi-tanker didn't even pretend to slow down as they 'rounded a bend near Greensburg, IN. Tom says that he had practically tied down the horn rope, saw what was going to happen and yanked the throttle wide open while going through the above-mentioned maneuver. Impact came and went, and when he and his fireman looked up, they could see nothing, so he jumped up and dumped the air, sliding his train to a stop half a mile from impact.

As he climbed down from the cab, it was apparent that they had hit a tanker full of milk enroute to a nearby dairy processing plant. He says he was so angry he practically ran the length of the train to beat the s**t out of the trucker, who was leaning up against the severed cab of his rig, apparently unhurt.

He went on to say that as he approached the guy, cussing like only a railroader can, he noticed that the young trucker had apparently soiled himself and was in shock, unable to move or even react. Pity and instinct took over and he helped his conductor calm the guy down until emergency crews could arrive to take over.

Indeed, it is difficult to imagine how the human mind will react in a life-or-death situation where training and normal reaction are intermingled and discipline generally gets pushed aside.

'Nuff said!

timecruncher
ripta42
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The five threads on the Continental crash have been combined into this one. Please confine the discussion to this thread.

Last edited by ripta42 on Thu May 14, 2009 7:35 am; edited 1 time in total
Dieseljim
Deceased

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 6:31 am    Post subject: Anti Icing system on Lockheed Electra vs. Bombardier 440 Reply with quote

When Lockheed produced its turboprop Electra airliner in the 1950s, it seems to me that that aircraft brought with it an anti icing and de icing system that was and is far superior to that used on most turboprops flying today. Those pathetic rubber boots applied to the leading edge of the wings on today's turbo props just are not up to the job they are designed to do. In the Flight 3407 hearings coming up this is going to be a topic of conversation. I believe that had the same type system used on the Electra been on the Flight 3407 aircraft, the accident at Clarence, NY might never have happened. The thing to do, as I see it, in icing conditions, get that bird on the ground as quickly and safely as possible.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> General Transportation - All Other Modes All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: