BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

'MORE RANDOM SHOTS FROM L.A.'

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Photographs, Bus Logs and Route Suggestion Ideas
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. Linsky
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 4:17 pm    Post subject: 'MORE RANDOM SHOTS FROM L.A.' Reply with quote

Just going through my vast collection and found a few odd shots taken in the last couple of weeks around West L.A.

Of course, no group of photos would be complete without my inspiration (Daisy the cat).

Enjoy.

Mr. Linsky - Green Bus Lines, Inc., Jamaica, NY

Hart Bus

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WCA: Thanks again for sharing. My two thoughts are that Crown buses still look ugly and their style hasn't been significantly updated in eons. Also the back of the orange (Metro Local) 60-footer looks horrid. I don't think the red (Metro Rapid) 60-footers look that bad.
Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ECA,

There haven't been updates on the Crowns because they're out of business a good few years already.

They were taken over by a division of General Electric sometime around 1990 but eventually GE saw no great profit and closed down the factory and sold off all the fixtures and such.

Carpenter, another school Bus Manufacturer, did buy the dies but I have know idea what they did with them.

Pictured below is one tough looking Tri Axle Crown Model # A-426-11 built in 1982 and powered by a Detroit 6N-71 250 hp Diesel coupled with an Allison four speed automatic transmission.

Interestingly, many of the Crowns built from way back still run actively and are continuously upgraded with parts readily available from specialty houses.

Because they are built much like transit buses, they are less susceptible to the roll-over situations that we often see with conventional school buses.

Photo courtesy of the Crown Coach Fan site.

Last edited by Mr. Linsky on Mon Feb 16, 2009 2:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
HwyHaulier

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr "L" -

IMHO, that's the way a school bus should be. As long as there are morons who can't figure why one shouldn't put kids in the less desirable,
lowest cost designs, then run them on class trips and so on out on the "Big Road" runs, the Crown design provided good margins of safety...

................Vern..................
Cyberider

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not a school bus fan but the Crowns are an exception. Especially a tri-axle with a Detroit Diesel. That's one nice bus. Mr. Green
Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those of you who may have seen a post I inserted earlier concerning what I thought to be a later model Crown, please be advised that I have removed that entry because it was inaccurate information - the bus was actually a Gillig of very nearly the same design as a Crown.

However, I have reinstated the Gillig photo below (top) for your enjoyment.

Also pictured below (bottom) has to be the most unusual bus I have ever seen and it is a Crown!

I am uncertain as to whether Crown manufactured it or it was fabricated by others.

It is articulated and combines two double decked heavy dual rear axle jobs.

Must have been a sight to see on the road!

Crown photo from Crown/Gillig collection.

Hart Bus

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HwyHaulier wrote:
Mr "L" -

IMHO, that's the way a school bus should be. As long as there are morons who can't figure why one shouldn't put kids in the less desirable,
lowest cost designs, then run them on class trips and so on out on the "Big Road" runs, the Crown design provided good margins of safety...

................Vern..................

I fully agree. Having grown up in NYC and walked to elementary school, junior high and took the subway to High School, my riding experience is limited to perhaps three or four trips. One was as class parent to accompany my son's fourth grade trip for a 60 mile round trip on Long Island. The kids are young and don't know, but to an adult it was a backbreaking experience.

Even worse was the time my wife, myself and my daughter were looking at colleges in the Philly area and were staying near the Penn Turnpike. We got lost getting back and felt so relieved when we pulled into the parking lot, only to discover a school bus from a neighboring district here on Long Island. It was the "mathletes" competing in some braniac competition. The kids were nice and polite but I felt sorry for them to have to ride in a yellow tin can from Long Island to Philly. Couldn't believe with the wealth in the Half Hollows School District they couldn't spring for an OTR coach for these kids.
Steve Carras

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember that bus from a few pictures.."Crownbaby site.." I posted on a newsgroup North Cal Bus Fans on it..

I have NO idea if that double deck double lengther IS an actual vehicle, and if it is, HOW many gears it would have. [DEFINITEFLY a ten speed with two speed real axle..I might guess.]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Photographs, Bus Logs and Route Suggestion Ideas All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: