BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

QSC Makes MCA (Finally!)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Q65A

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:59 pm    Post subject: QSC Makes MCA (Finally!) Reply with quote

I just received the April-June 2007 issue of Motor Coach Age (yes, the year 2007 is listed on the cover) and I am most pleased to note that the entire issue covers my old favorite QSC. Kudos to Eli Bail and Fred Eisinger for carrying on the gallant tradition started by Bernard Linder and the late Alan Bromberger !
RailBus63

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been looking forward to this issue for a long time as well - I hope my copy is waiting for me when I get home!
Hart Bus

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As an aside to this topic, I have to wonder why Corgi never made a QT/ST/QST or QSC fishbowl, while making 'bowls of all the other privates??

Wonder if they could get the licensing rights now.
RailBus63

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Corgi version of the Queens Transit scheme would make for a very handsome model.
RailBus63

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I received my copy in the mail yesterday. I only had an opportunity to glance through it quickly last night, but it is very well done as usual.

The Queens Transit/Queens Surface story was the largest remaining gap in MCA's history of New York City bus companies and operations, but there are still a few omissions. Jamaica Bus and Liberty Lines/Pelham Parkway still need to be done. Updates needed include a general history of NYCTA/MaBSTOA since the 1970's and a history of Command after the takeover from Pioneer, but the bulk of the hard work detailing the early history of bus operations in NYC is done.
Mr. Linsky
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

R.B.,

In my ill fated email to the Society looking for my copy of the QT history, I also suggested that they work up an article on Jamaica Buses, and I volunteered the many great photos that I have.

Jamaica has a very interesting history that dates back to the Jamaica Central Railway Company in the early part of the twentieth century.

Of course, no one at MBS bothered to contact me so I'll just let the whole thing go!

Mr. Linsky - Green Bus Lines, Inc., Jamaica, NY
Q65A

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally started reading the QSC issue of MCA, and I was very disappointed to find that 5-6 pages were missing (apparently the printer had printed some pages twice, while omitting other pages).
The history of QSC jumped from Queens-Nassau Transit Lines to QSC in one big leap.
Did anyone else experience this same phenomenon?
As I recall, this happened to another recent issue of MCA; perhaps they need a new printer...
Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

O.K., get the soap box ready because here comes Mr. 'L'!

I have spoken with another Society member who also received an incomplete Queens/Steinway issue.

I don't know which is better; receiving an unfinished issue or none at all (I received none at all!).

I have emailed all published Motor Bus Society addresses and have received no response whatever from anyone!

This is nothing new and only adds to the seemingly inept and uncaring leadership in that organization.

A little history; I was a member for many years until 1993 when absolutely no Motor Coach Age issues were published (due to in-fighting among the board members).

Now, I'm not going to kid you - I'm in it for the Motor Coach Age and without it the whole thing is useless to me.

In 2007, a poster on BusTalk.Net talked me into rejoining because it was such a worthwhile cause and I relented, did rejoin and, since then have only received two or three new issues all of which back dated to 2006 and 2007.

It seems to me that these people are taking our money and giving us very little in return and I, for one, will not tolerate that!

You can bet that it will be a very cold snowy day in July before they see another $35 plus a donation from me!

Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

O.K., so maybe I jumped the gun because as I was composing the above diatribe I received the following email;

Hello Alan==

I hope you have received your Queens Surface MCA by now, and if not, a note to the Paramus address should have one in the mail to you in short order.

Not only have we thought about a story on Jamaica Buses, we have a draft in hand. Consequently, we would be very interested in Jamaica photographs. Please let us know what you have.

Thank you

==Eli Bail

I still think they ought to get their act together but I am very pleased with Mr. Bail's response and will certainly help with a Jamaica issue.

Mr. 'L'
Stalwart23

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have received the April-June 2007 MCA issue on Queens Surface and there were no printing errors or skipping of pages.
It is a good piece of history of the buses I first started riding on many years ago.
kevlaf983

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stalwart23 wrote:
I have received the April-June 2007 MCA issue on Queens Surface and there were no printing errors or skipping of pages.

Same with me. I wouldn't mind an article on a Canadian system in an upcoming issue though!
RailBus63

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problems with my issue.
Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the expression? - high five?

Well, give me a high five because I've just finally received my copy of 'Queens Surface' thanks to Eli Bail of the Society.

It is excellent with some really great and rare photos.

It's definately a collector's item!

Hope you've all gotten your copies by now.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> New York City Buses All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: