BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

'CONESTOGA TRANSPORATATION CO. # 359'

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. Linsky
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 2:50 am    Post subject: 'CONESTOGA TRANSPORATATION CO. # 359' Reply with quote

Thanks to my good friend Vince Syrek of GMOldLookBus I have discovered another ex Green Line (NY) bus.

Pictured below is fleet # 359 - a 1950 GM Model TDH 4509 operating for the Conestoga Transportation Company of Lancaster, Pennsylvania and originally delivered to Green Bus Lines of Jamaica, New York as fleet # 328.

Interestingly, out of the 35 buses (311 to 345) in the original order, 15 were driven in from Truck and Coach in Pontiac, Michigan by GBL drivers due to a shortage of contract chauffeurs at GM.

Three other 4509's originally numbred 323, 331 and 345 also went to Conestoga.

A brief history of Conestoga;

The Conestoga Traction Company was reorganized as the Conestoga Transportation Company in the early thirties and because of a drop in trolley patronage began the gradual discontinuance of the many trolley lines in Lancaster County and replacing them with busses.

The company still exists today in Lancaster under the name Conestoga Tours.

Also pictured below is a preserved Conestoga Traction car photographed by Timothy Jones.

Mr. Linsky - Green Bus Lines, Inc., Jamaica, NY

Cyberider

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Linsky,

Who'd have thought you'd be able to get answers to your questions of things that happened so long ago at this late date?! I'm glad Vince is back and hopefully be able to participate fully again soon.

Dave
Mr. Linsky
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave,

I guess we're just lucky that there were a few smart people around in those days that took pictures!

Ironically, I did take some pictures of a couple of GBL's back in the fifties and probably threw them away at some point - I could kick myself for that.

One thing is for sure; the generations that will follow us will have a marvelous window into present day transportation albeit not as interesting as the Old Look era!

I guess what reputation I have gained in this business has paid off with the occasional GBL gems that are directed my way - and I am thankful to all for that.

And the most wonderful part of it is the ability to share these images with like minded enthusiasts thanks to the Internet.

Mr. 'L'
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> New York City Buses All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: