BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Rising Gas Prices- Time for Price Controls

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> General Transportation - All Other Modes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dieseljim
Deceased

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 1:54 pm    Post subject: Rising Gas Prices- Time for Price Controls Reply with quote

With the economy in the toilet, the last thing this country needs is rising gas prices,thus all the more reason to put a cap on them so we do not see the rampant at the pump price gouging of last summer. By allowing the oil companies to start gouging the public, no matter how much we all cut back on our driving, that is going to kill the economy, which is now on the brink of a depression if not already there, as it is. It is time to rein in the commodities manipulators. How much more can we all cut back anyway? Mileage driven is down considerably and to see the gas prices creep back up as far as I am concerned is reason enough for regulation of prices especially since the law of supply and demand is NOT working, but a bunch of manipulators are at work. It also makes more of a case for more mass transit where it has not existed before, too, or for years for that matter. I don't know about you, but I am NOT going to let a bunch of price gougers make me a prisoner in my own home! The obscene profits the oil companies raked in last year ought to be a good case for price controls. Or else vigilante action at the gas pump!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
HwyHaulier

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dieseljim -

We've been down that road! Are you sure that is what you want? Cap the prices at the discretion of Big Brother Is Love, and it simply assures
fuel shortages. I'd rather not waste my time in gas lines, again...

And, why kick around Big Oil? Take a look at the Annual Reports, and so on. Huge volume industries report in huge numbers. Take all the evil,
greedy profiteering, and express as a percent of gross. It usually isn't very impressive.

Recall, over the decades, a lot of what was done to transit was fare control nonsense. The regulators let down the regulated, instead listening
to the saddest of stories from riders with beefs. To the point, we have little (if any) privately owned transit businesses at all, anymore.

...................Vern.................
Dieseljim
Deceased

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:33 am    Post subject: Rising Gas Prices Reply with quote

With all the people getting thrown out of work ,if gas prices go back up to last summer's levels, the jobless people might just as well start committing suicide like happened near Los Angeles last week, especially those on the verge of ending on the streets and losing everything. $4.00 or $5.00 a gallon or more for gas will most assurely make the cost of trying to find another job cost prohibitive, thus leaving those thrown out of work to choose between turning to crime or committing suicide as happened in the LA area last week followed by a similar incident in Ohio a few days ago. I am not sure if I want to go down that road before, but I sure as heck do not want one million or more jobless people resorting to crime or suicide either.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> General Transportation - All Other Modes All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: