BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

[DC] '10,000 BUSES?'

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Surface Transit - Eastern United States
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. Linsky
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 3:09 am    Post subject: [DC] '10,000 BUSES?' Reply with quote

I've just heard that the bulk of the estimated over one million visitors to Washington D.C. during the inaugural festivities this coming week will arrive by bus and that 10,000 charter buses are expected to participate.

There are a few questions here; where are they going to find 10,000 buses?, where are they going to park them? where are the drivers going to be put up?, where are they going to get fuel for them?

The logistics of this thing will be beyond belief.

Anyway, I sure hope that at least one of our membership can get down there with camera to give us a first hand report!

Mr. Linsky - Green Bus Lines, Inc., Jamaica, NY

Last edited by Mr. Linsky on Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
HwyHaulier

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr Linsky -

We will just have to wait and see. Do you suppose this could be much like the claimed huge bus fleets, available on short notice, to help
out on large scale national disasters, for example, very large hurricanes and storms? The imagined fleets of instant rail cars, simply because
there is an urgent felt need?

Crafting of breathless hyperbole by the ignorant miay be one of those things along the lines of how they make sausage!

..................Vern................
Dieseljim
Deceased

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 1:52 pm    Post subject: Charter Buses? Reply with quote

Are there really that many commercial type buses available or are school buses going to be in the mix?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Mr. Linsky
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D.J.,

I think you hit the nail right on the head with the school bus idea especially from places not far from Washington.

I could be wrong on this but I don't believe there are 10,000 charter coaches registered in the U.S. (discounting Greyhound and Trailways).

We'll really have to check this out!

Mr. Linsky - Green Bus Lines, Inc., Jamaica, NY
Dieseljim
Deceased

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 7:25 am    Post subject: Charter Buses? Reply with quote

I think most of Greyhound's fleet is devoted almost exclusively to line run service, with few buses to spare for charter work.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
HwyHaulier

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr Linsky - Dieseljim - All -

Do I recall some national disaster or other, where there were huge numbers of school busses available? Some local bureaucrats, who were long
discouraged of ever trying John Wayne management styles just let the needed equipment drown in the ensuing floods? One wouldn't want to take
a bad decision, that finding a result of later Monday Morning Quarterbacking, and have it on one's permanent record!

...................Vern..............
Dieseljim
Deceased

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 2:31 pm    Post subject: National Disaster Named Katrina Reply with quote

I believe that national disaster's name is Katrina, where the incompetence of the just ended administration really showed from the top on down. People died needlessly because of the screwing around done during and after Katrina.
HwyHaulier wrote:
Mr Linsky - Dieseljim - All -

Do I recall some national disaster or other, where there were huge numbers of school busses available? Some local bureaucrats, who were long
discouraged of ever trying John Wayne management styles just let the needed equipment drown in the ensuing floods? One wouldn't want to take
a bad decision, that finding a result of later Monday Morning Quarterbacking, and have it on one's permanent record!

...................Vern..............
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Surface Transit - Eastern United States All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: