BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Need info on Conestoga Transportation & Blue and White L

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> General Bus Forum - All Bus Topics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dieseljim
Deceased

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 4:58 pm    Post subject: Need info on Conestoga Transportation & Blue and White L Reply with quote

Does anyone have any information about Blue and White Lines and Conestoga Transportation Company, beyond what I could glean from their timetables?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
asdfasdf

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

About a 100 years ago (it feels like it, at least), a Conestoga Transportation Company article was published in Motor Coach Age (August 1973 issue). I doubt it's still available from MBS.

Bob K
Mr. Linsky
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

D.J.,

The best I can do at the moment is a few photos of Conestoga's Old Looks courtesy of Buslist of GMOldLookBus.

Mr. Linsky - Green Bus Lines, Inc., Jamaica, NY

Dieseljim
Deceased

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 4:35 am    Post subject: Conestoga and Red Rose Transit Reply with quote

Didn't Red Rose Transit Authority take over all of Conestoga's regular route operation, leaving Conestoga as a charter and tour outfit?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
roymanning2000

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim,

Conestoga Tours is still going strong. Here is a link to their website.

http://www.conestogatours.com/

The Motor Coach Age issue covering Conestoga's history up to 1973 is not listed as available on the MBS website. However, back issues of MCA are often available on eBay.

If you do a search on Google Image, you'll probably come up with some photos of past Conestoga buses. Their regular routes were operated in later years with a mix of ACF-Brill C-36 and GM TDH3612 and TDH3714 buses. They also had some ACF-Brill IC-41's and, later, GM SDM5302 suburbans for charter work. In more recent times, their tour fleet included some Eagle 15 coaches.

Roy
Mr. Linsky
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

About all I know about Conestoga Transportation is as follows;

Thanks to my good friend Vince Syrek of GMOldLookBus I have discovered another ex Green Line (NY) bus.

Pictured below is fleet # 359 - a 1950 GM Model TDH 4509 operating for the Conestoga Transportation Company of Lancaster, Pennsylvania and originally delivered to Green Bus Lines of Jamaica, New York as fleet # 328.

Interestingly, out of the 35 buses (311 to 345) in the original order, 15 were driven in from Truck and Coach in Pontiac, Michigan by GBL drivers due to a shortage of contract chauffeurs at GM.

Three other 4509's originally numbred 323, 331 and 345 also went to Conestoga.

A brief history of Conestoga;

The Conestoga Traction Company was reorganized as the Conestoga Transportation Company in the early thirties and because of a drop in trolley patronage began the gradual discontinuance of the many trolley lines in Lancaster County and replacing them with busses.

The company still exists today in Lancaster under the name Conestoga Tours.

Mr. Linsky - Green Bus Lines, Inc., Jamaica, NY

Dieseljim
Deceased

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:43 am    Post subject: Conestoga and Red Rose Transit Reply with quote

Is my hunch correct that Red Rose Transit took over Conestoga's regular route operations?
HwyHaulier

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:55 am    Post subject: Re: Conestoga and Red Rose Transit Reply with quote

Dieseljim wrote:
Is my hunch correct that Red Rose Transit took over Conestoga's regular route operations?

Jim -

Of course. Do some scratching around, though, to determine precisely which taxpayer agency runs this. Another smaller town survivor
in the frothy enthusiasm for, "No Town Left Behind" in the chase for the largesse!

Don't encourage them, or they might get it in their heads they will claim needs for artic low floor, D/E artics on the Park City runs. They
already have some rather far fetched light rail ideas in play. Never mind it broke Conestoga Traction...

..................Vern...........
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> General Bus Forum - All Bus Topics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: