BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Queens Transit Jones Beach Line Run

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hart Bus

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 4:02 pm    Post subject: Queens Transit Jones Beach Line Run Reply with quote

This week I was fortunate enough to win a picture on E-bay of QT bus # 261 signed for Jones Beach. It brought back a couple of incomplete memories about the one time I went with a buddy to JB on that run.

I know that it started somewhere near Main / Roosevelt. I think it may have been on Prince Street. The bus ended up going south on Main Street. I remember passing the Prospect Movie House and seeing a Liberty Lines old look signed for Orchard Beach in the Bronx. That memory is clear since that was the first time I had ever seen a female transit b/o. She was a large woman with a blonde beehive hairdo who looked like she could flatten many of her male counterparts.

I don't remember the fare, but seem to think that it was a nickel or dime cheaper than a competitor that started its run in the Flushing vicinity.

Don't remember the route or the return,

Also the picture was of SDM-5302. Checking bus productioon lists reveals that QT never purchased and SDM-5302's new from GM. Anyone know how and from whom this bus was obtained.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can fill in some or all of the holes in my memory.

Alan Aron a/k/a Hart Bus
Q65A

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting post!
As many of the BTN regulars may know, I lived in Electchester for 26 years, and QTC/QSC will always remain my "#1 home carrier" (thus explaining my BTN "handle").
I don't personally recall ever having seen a Jones Beach Run operated by QTC, but it makes sense that QTC would run such a service originating from "Downtown Flushing". Back in the mid-1970's, MSBA (predecessor agency to today's LIB) also ran summer Jones Beach specials from Downtown Flushing. I recall that MSBA was running blue and orange TDH-5301's (without A/C) on that long run. QTC probably ran a premium operation by comparison. Too bad I didn't know this "back in the day"; I would have enjoyed a lot more comfortable trip (especially when coming back home with a sunburn)!!!
Thanks for the nostalgia!
Mr. Linsky
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob,

Your recollection is correct! Here's MSBA #426 on layover at Jones Beach circa the late 70's.

Photo courtesy of BusTalk Gallery.

Mr. Linsky - Green Bus Lines, Inc., Jamaica, NY

asdfasdf

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Queens Transit Jones Beach Line Run Reply with quote

Hart Bus wrote:
This week I was fortunate enough to win a picture on E-bay of QT bus # 261 signed for Jones Beach. It brought back a couple of incomplete memories about the one time I went with a buddy to JB on that run.............

Also the picture was of SDM-5302. Checking bus productioon lists reveals that QT never purchased and SDM-5302's new from GM. Anyone know how and from whom this bus was obtained.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can fill in some or all of the holes in my memory.

Alan Aron a/k/a Hart Bus

Queens Transit 259-261 are SDM5302 639-641 GMC 1965 ex Short Line (RI) 6529-6531.

Bob K
Hart Bus

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob: Thanks for the update. I am going to print it and keep it behind the picture so that when I partner up with Mr. Al Zheimer, someone will knoww the history.
Waynejay

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Linsky wrote:
Bob,

Your recollection is correct! Here's MSBA #426 on layover at Jones Beach circa the late 70's.

Photo courtesy of BusTalk Gallery.

Mr. Linsky - Green Bus Lines, Inc., Jamaica, NY

I think MSBA did have some TDH-5301/2s, but #426 is a TDH-5304.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> New York City Buses All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: