BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

'GREEN LINE'S 4506'S IN RETROSPECT'

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. Linsky
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 5:32 pm    Post subject: 'GREEN LINE'S 4506'S IN RETROSPECT' Reply with quote

One of the major highlights in the history of Green Bus Lines (NY) was the purchase of 35 1946 GM TD 4506's which represented a number of firsts for the company including their first new buses since before the war, their first Diesels, their first fully automatic transmissions and their first with 44 passenger capacity.

While the war was over, there were still shortages of stainless steel and chromium and these coaches were delivered void of any exterior brightwork and had painted steel interior passenger railings.

As can be seen in some of the photos, later GM sponsored facelifts included the same familiar stainless steel wings and logos that appeared on the next models.

Enjoy!

All photos have been credited elsewhere on this site.

Mr. Linsky - Green Bus Lines, Inc., Jamaica, NY

# 912 shown new in original company livery

#908 shown in Apple Green and Cream livery sporting updated front end including heavy 'paired window' bumper

#207 after transfer to Jamaica Buses division

[size=9]#210 still operating for Manhattan & Queens division

# 907 (take my word for it!)

#203 (saying good-bye!)
Catfish 44

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Mr. Linsky those are great!
Hart Bus

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WCA:

I echo the words of Catfish 44 (Hunter of Grumpy old men) that it is a pleasure to see these photos. Its not only the enjoyment of the old buses, but I like looking at the cars and clothing styles being worn. Its fun to see if I can identify the buildings in the background and see what the area looks like today

ECA
Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ECA,

I get a kick out of the pictures myself because they bring back really great memories for me.

I can tell you that the top picture of # 912 was taken by Jay Rogers who is a good friend of mine and a fellow Kew Gardens Alumnus.

The bus is stopped on Lefferts heading southbound at the intersection of Metropolitan Avenue (while the roadway might have been repaved a couple of times over the last sixty two years, everything else except the clothes remains exactly the same).

BTW; Jay was not a bus fan and took this picture as part of a school project that was to depict different modes of transit in the village.

He also took the # 203 picture and that shows the bus heading southbound on Queens Boulevard just past Union Turnpike.

# 908 (my all-time favorite) was taken by Joe Scully and shows the bus heading eastbound to Far Rockaway on the Q22 line sometime in the early fifties.

WCA
B53RICH

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What exactly are those two devices attached to the roof level on those buses?
Also, what are those 3 round things on the center roof?
Lefferts Blvd. & Metropolitan Ave., my former corner. Just happened to pass through today.
Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

B.R.,

The six (there are three on each side) objects that I call Mickey Mouse ears are ventilators that correspond to adjustable dampers on the inside of the roof - they merely move fresh air through the bus and virtually all pre ThermoMatics had them.

Additionally, and by law in some states including New York motorized forced air was also required and the two cage like structures toward the front of the roof performed that task, and were not under the driver's control.

The reasoning was that in heavy city conditions with full loads and a good deal of standing at traffic signals forced air was needed to rid the cabin of fumes.

All of this roof-top equipment was eliminated in late 1946 when ThermoMatic heating and ventilation was introduced, and it was easy to spot ThermoMatic systems because they had a prominent intake vent over the destination sign.

A specimen of ThermoMatic is shown below with a clean roof.

Photo from Green Line Archive.

Mr. Linsky, Green Bus Lines, Inc., Jamaica, NY

B53RICH

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting, thanks!
I have a vague memory seeing those early ventilators as a child, probably during the 1960's. I never knew the technical name of the later ventilators, ThermoMatics, those I'm familiar with seeing on the Old Looks.
Catfish 44

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That 937 is a beauty!
Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Catfish,

# 937, as it appears in the photo, is not exactly how it appeared when it was first delivered in 1947.

The bus was part of a group of twenty five (926 to 950) that were originally built for Surface Transportation System of New York and equipped to their specifications.

As can be seen in the photo of # 942 below, the front doors opened out, the headlights were of the 'Golden Glow' or trolley car type, the GM badge under the windshield was the older stainless steel version, the signal lights were the small arrows and there were floor vents between the headlights.

The unseen items, which are of no consequence here but I'll mention them anyway, are the rear door treadle steps (which were removed from the entire group) and the 'BACKING' light on the left rear engine hatch.

# 937 apparently had a complete face lift (probably due to an accident) and gone are the old fashioned headlamps, the floor vents, the outer opening front doors and the original GM logo as well as the first set of signal lights.

The 937 picture also shows no side or front destination signs which leads me to believe that the photo was taken as the bus was about to be traferred to Jamaica Buses.

And, that's the story of # 937.

# 942 shown at Arverne Garage courtesy of Dennis M. Linsky

Mr. Linsky - Green Bus Lines, Inc., Jamaica, NY

Catfish 44

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey 942 is a beaut as well! Thank you!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> New York City Buses All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: