BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My stroll up Eight Avenue NYC yesterday - on topic

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hart Bus

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 2:49 pm    Post subject: My stroll up Eight Avenue NYC yesterday - on topic Reply with quote

Yesterday my wife and I went to see the Broadway musical Hairspray in its second to last performance. It closes with today's matinee. We took the LIRR to Penn Station and then walked up Eight Avenue (with a lunch break n/b and dinner break s/b). I saw quite a few different buses and this is what the post is about.

First impression is that there is a lot of service from close in New Jersey towns using several different gloried airporter van. One company is using a vehicle manufactured by Yutong. Never heard of it or saw it before. Also severaal other cut-away type vans.

We also saw the City Sights and Gray Line double deckers. Some of the buses had totaly open roofs, semi-covered, or fully covered. We saw one bus that was half-covered with someone sitting on top in the open air part on a cold day. Takes all kinds.

Also seen were Mega Bus and Bolt Bus. It seems that Bolt has a stop or lavover spot on the north side of 34th at the corner of 8th Avenue. I think Bolt is part of Greyhound and what made this stop ironiic is that its fairly close to where Greyhound's 34th terminal once stood.
RailBus63

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: My stroll up Eight Avenue NYC yesterday - on topic Reply with quote

Hart Bus wrote:
Also seen were Mega Bus and Bolt Bus. It seems that Bolt has a stop or lavover spot on the north side of 34th at the corner of 8th Avenue. I think Bolt is part of Greyhound and what made this stop ironiic is that its fairly close to where Greyhound's 34th terminal once stood.

Bolt is a joint venture between Greyhound and Peter Pan.
Q65A

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a small world!!!
My wife and I also went to Midtown yesterday to see a play (August: Osage County).
We also spent quite a bit of time walking in and around Times Square, Rockefeller Center, and Herald Square (we like to walk to and from Penn Station if the weather is not too bad).
Among the many things I love about a trip to Manhattan is the chance to see lots of MTA buses.
The RTS is still very much present on DOB's routes operating out of MJQ and MV. (I also saw some RTS's carrying FB depot logos while working the M27; these units are a long way from Flatbush Avenue.)
The Orion VII HEV (first generation) is a pretty common sight in Midtown, operating on routes out of MV, AMS and CS; the MV units are pioneers for this model, while CS units (working the Q32) are the youngest HEV's.
Orion V diesels still run out of AMS and CS.
MCI Cruisers are pretty common, both on the DOB side (coming from both YUK and CAS in the SI Div'n., and from UP in the Brooklyn Division) and on the MTAB side (mainly from CPD, ECH, and YON).
(BTW, the play was excellent!!!)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> New York City Buses All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: