BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

'I'M BACK FROM RED HOOK!'
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. Linsky
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:58 am    Post subject: 'I'M BACK FROM RED HOOK!' Reply with quote

Had a great Thanksgiving vacation and will talk more on it later, but thought you'd just like a gander at one of my findings deep in the heart of Red Hook Brooklyn as pictured below.

Much more to come.

Photo by Mr. 'L'

Mr. Linsky - Green Bus Lines, Inc., Jamaica, NY

Cyberider

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome back, Mr. Linsky! Glad you had a good Thanksgiving vacation. Looking forward to your posts and photos.

Dave
ripta42
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting. I think that's the same bus that used to be parked on Kent Avenue near the Williamsburgh Bridge.
Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks fellas - good to be back!

I am suspicious as to the origin of this particular bus;

While it appears to be in early city New Look green, the exhaust configuration tells me that it was a very late model and, as I remember, the city New Looks that came through with the modified exhausts systems came through in the stark white with the blue band.

The style of the numbers doesn't appear to be any thing the city ever used.

However, it does appear to have had wording above the windows where the Authority would have placed their name.

I'm no expert in this regard and I do stand corrected.

Have added better view of bus below.

BTW; all and all, this bus is not in bad shape - photo was taken on Van Brunt Street very near the Fairway Market at the water in Red Hook.

Again, thanks for the welcome back!

Hart Bus

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To my dear friend Mr. Linsky: I am glad you arrived home safely in CA after visiting here in NY over the weekend. The phone conversation we had was heartwarming. Too bad we couldn't tie-in schedules to meet in person. I will look forward to your visit back to NY early next year.

As to the topic at hand. If you could have jumped the fence and gotten the ID number off the registration or pried opened the back door to look at the Bus Plate, this would have solved the mystery, but I guess the wife nixed that idea Laughing

I looked through the production lists of GM New Looks at www.omot.org and did not see any New Looks #7565 for any transit system, so that does tell us that the bus was renumbered when sold. The only NYC New Look to carry that # was a Flxible, part of the batch that contains 7753, the only Flx to have Bat Wings.

It could have been an NYC New Look based upon the painted over writing on the roof. Also look closely near the front door on the metal. It looks as if a # has been polished off.

Another crazy thought. At one time TCC donated bus # 743 a T8H-5307A to the NYPD, who kept it at Highway District #3 on the Grand Central Parkway near Francis Lewis Blvd. When the topic came up on an old board, Trevor Logan posted pictures of bus 744 that had been sold to a Hassidic group to go to B&H photo, near Penn from Borough Park everyday. I remember that it had a dark green paint job like this bus....

I wonder if they sold it to someone and it was renumbered ?????
Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ECA,

I too am so sorry that we could not meet last weekend - and I do look forward to my next visit which will occur probably in March or April at which time hopefully we will get together.

It was very nice speaking with you on the phone though.

You mention NYPD Police buses; just so happens that I caught one (below) standing across the street from Nathan's in Coney Island!

Enjoy!

WCA

Hart Bus

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WCA: Nice picture. In a typical NY scene, look just to the front of the rear door, there's trash in the street. Typical of any spot near a fast food joint. The last time I was at Nathan's was about 4 years ago on a March of Dimes subway excursion entitled "Sunset over Stillwell".

At that time you needed a small mortgage to afford their prices. I had a 2 for 1 internet coupon, so for 1 dog, small fries and a soda it was close to $8.
The wooden plank floors are now tile and Shatzkin's Kinishes (two blocks away) is now a distant memory.

Also the big rectangular empty lot directly behind Nathan's has been sold to a developer who wants to erect a mulit-storied condominium building.
Mr RT

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is always the Nathan's in Oceanside ... and ... the N15 goes right by it Smile
Hart Bus

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr RT wrote:
There is always the Nathan's in Oceanside ... and ... the N15 goes right by it Smile

While that Nathan's is a five minute drive from your house, let's not get too excited about it. It is now a rectangular building on the northwest corner of the original property. The rest of the property is a conventiional L-Shaped strip mall. Gone is the huge building with mucho tables, a stage for small kiddie plays and the menu no longer has sandwiches, shrimps, clams and other exotic food items.

Also no motorcycles or old car meetings in the parking lot.....
Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, and also gone is the old 'Road Side Rest' which started the whole thing in Oceanside - I saw Frank Sinatra among others appear on stage there.

Nothing they have ever had since on that lot could compare with it!

psa188

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hart Bus wrote:
Another crazy thought. At one time TCC donated bus # 743 a T8H-5307A to the NYPD, who kept it at Highway District #3 on the Grand Central Parkway near Francis Lewis Blvd. When the topic came up on an old board, Trevor Logan posted pictures of bus 744 that had been sold to a Hassidic group to go to B&H photo, near Penn from Borough Park everyday. I remember that it had a dark green paint job like this bus....

hello. For what it's worth, when I used to live in NYC, I'd board a bus on 5th Avenue to get to work in lower Manhattan. I recall seeing Hassidic fishbowls heading south on 5th while waiting. Although it's been a while, I recall a bus in faded TCC paint, perhaps 744 and later I recall seeing a bus that looks like the one in your photo. I moved out of NYC in 2005 so these memories are a bit rusty.
Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ECA,

I remember the bus you're talking about but at the time I didn't know of its origin.

It was parked at the old Motorcycle 3 precinct which I think was just east of 188th. Street on the north side of the GCP.

I always wondered whether the arched overpasses on the parkway were too low for it to nogotiate especially in the right most lanes which had the least clearance.

While we're on the subject of Motorcycle 3, I'll tell you a little story about officer Davis Taylor (badge # 18565) who was a member of that division.

Officer Taylor, who lived in Queens Village, was an accomplished cabinet maker and had a small workshop in his garage.

BTW, if you're any bit squeamish you may not want to read on!

One day, while working with his buzz saw, he managed to sever two fingers and was rushed to nearby Terrace Heights Hospital where my father was chief of surgery.

In what may well have been one of the first successful attempts at reattaching human digits, my father made Officer Taylor's hand whole again.

In appreciation for what my father and several other doctors who assisted him did, Officer Taylor had five sterling silver miniature NYPD badges with his number made for them.

To this day, I still carry my father's in my wallet!

Last edited by Mr. Linsky on Sat Dec 20, 2008 11:25 pm; edited 2 times in total
Hart Bus

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never heard of Terrace Heights Hospital! Did it change its name or has it closed like many small area hospitals, such as Boulevard in Astoria, a hospital on Little Neck Parkway just north of the LIE and now to the list we can add Parkway Hospital in Forrest Hills.
Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ECA,

I believe that the facility that you refer to at Little Neck Parkway was Deepdale - a very nice hospital in its day - I remember when they built it.

The small privately owned hospitals began to close down in the mid eighties because they could not afford the state of the art equipment that was then becoming available such as advanced laboratories, MRI and CT scanners and the like - all of which drew doctors to the larger community based institutions such as North Shore and Long Island Jewish (which have since merged).

If the Parkway Hospital in Forest Hills was the one right off GCP, I believe it became part of Wycoff Heights in Brooklyn (where I was born!).

In 1947, my father and fourteen other doctors bought the old Borden Milk Company mansion located two blocks north of Hillside Avenue at 191st. in what is know as Holliswood.

The main house, which stood on the five acre site replete with a riding stable, was converted to a thrity seven bed general hospital and was named Terrace Heights.

The facility grew to 212 beds with the addition of wings in both 1951 and 1958.

In 1984 Terrace Heights was sold and converted to Holliswood Hospital specializing in the treatment of adult behavioral disorders (see below).

B53RICH

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr.L.,
Did you make your way over to K.G.?
Rich.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> New York City Buses All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: