BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

bee-line Photography...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Long Island & Westchester Buses
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ICMC 1982 Flyer D901A

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 12:37 am    Post subject: bee-line Photography... Reply with quote

I wanna know if there are rules making photography of Bee-line's buses illegal, especially inside White Plains Transit Center.

WHY?

I was stopped last friday morning around 7am by dispatchers and cops, was told that Photography is illegal due to the 9/11 and all that mumbo-jumbo.

Too bad I missed my 7:13am 27 bus to Skyline Drive and non-stop to Peekskill run Sad

I sure as hell didn't wanna argue with the cops or what not, so I had to give 'em my ID number and what not...

But really, could you guys find the rules of Bee-line System pertaining to Photography? I tried looking for the rules, to no avail....

Thanx.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
N4 Jamaica

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be surprised if Bee Line rules forbid taking photos of the buses on the street, but there could be some problem about the White Plains Transit Center. More of a problem will arise if Governor Spitzer signs this bill into law:
See article in Newsday here
It is the busybodies I worry about. "Look at that guy loitering with a camera and taking photos of buses! People who like buses are weird. Dial 911."
RailBus63

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would recommend that any photographer print out and carry with them a copy of this brochure - The Photographer’s Right. The relevant sections of the guide are here:

Quote:
The general rule in the United States is that anyone may take photographs of whatever they want when they are in a public place or places where they have permission to take photographs. Absent a specific legal prohibition such as a statute or ordinance, you are legally entitled to take photographs. Examples of places that are traditionally considered public are streets, sidewalks, and public parks.

Quote:
Property owners may legally prohibit photography on their premises but have no right to prohibit others from photographing their property from other locations. Whether you need permission from property owners to take photographs while on their premises depends on the circumstances. In most places, you may reasonably assume that taking photographs is allowed and that you do not need explicit permission. However, this is a judgment call and you should request permission when the circumstances suggest that the owner is likely to object. In any case, when a property owner tells you not to take photographs while on the premises, you are legally obligated to honor the request.

(Empasis added).

Public transit facilities should be considered no different than private property. Bee Line has the right to restrict photography at the Transit Center if it so desires, and if you are asked to stop by an employee or uniformed officer you must comply. Some fans believe they have to post these restrictions but I'm not sure I necessarily agree - a shopping mall security guard can stop you from taking pictures on mall property even if no signs are posted.

You are certainly allowed to take photographs of buses entering and exiting the center from the adjacent sidewalks.

My general advice is this - if you are on a public sidewalk, be polite but firm if you are questioned. I don't put up with crap from bus drivers - I tell them to call the police if they have a problem with my taking photographs. If a police officer is insistent, though, the best course of action is to move along and address the issue later with the police headquarters. Law enforcement officers do have certain rights to detain those who they consider suspicious and it's not worth having your day ruined just to get into an argument over your right to take pictures.
Bee Flexible #823

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can photograph any Bee Line Buses as far as I know. Even though I took photos from that very location a few months ago and with no problems, I would advise you not to take any at the Main Terminals and Hubs.
Security has been stepped up this past week due to the happenings abroad.
Pineywoodsbus

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One good thing I can say, I've never been harassed by LI Bus. I've even gotten engine pics w/o any problems.
I also have gotten pics at HTC and never been bothered. Though things may have changed now. Personally the cops have alot better things to do than picking on people with cameras, but it's much easier to question a law abiding citizen than go after criminals. Laughing
Dieseljim
Deceased

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 9:06 am    Post subject: Bee-Line Photography Reply with quote

Look at the bright side, George W. Hitler and his bunch of neoNazi thugs will soon be out of the White House as the result of a reasonably clean election (for a change) and our new President will undo much, if not all of the damage this NeoNazi administration has done, and that includes being able to photograph buses unmolested. Over a year ago, I did photography at the terminals in Buffalo,Rochester, and Syracuse and no one said anything and the results are found in my two volume set of Bus Lines Serving New York State. I did a low key celebration of the election results, knowing that W cannot run again. I would not let anything stop me from photographing buses of interest. Yes being polite is the best way. Besides showing an officer my ID, I might even show him or her a sample of what I am working on, too. That way they may have a better understanding of what the picture taking is all about. Knowing is half the battle right there.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
upperharlemline4ever

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hold on a minute to blame George Bush for this is a bit rediculous. He has nothing to do with this. As a youngster many years ago, I remember police would hassle anyone trying to take photos at transportation facilities. Basically there are no restrictions but transportation officials and local police would try to intimidate people. Keep politics out of this thread.
S-60 To Smith Haven Mall

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 11:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Bee-Line Photography Reply with quote

Dieseljim wrote:
Look at the bright side, George W. Hitler and his bunch of neoNazi thugs will soon be out of the White House as the result of a reasonably clean election (for a change) and our new President will undo much, if not all of the damage this NeoNazi administration has done, and that includes being able to photograph buses unmolested. Over a year ago, I did photography at the terminals in Buffalo,Rochester, and Syracuse and no one said anything and the results are found in my two volume set of Bus Lines Serving New York State. I did a low key celebration of the election results, knowing that W cannot run again. I would not let anything stop me from photographing buses of interest. Yes being polite is the best way. Besides showing an officer my ID, I might even show him or her a sample of what I am working on, too. That way they may have a better understanding of what the picture taking is all about. Knowing is half the battle right there.

you can't blame Bush, or say that Obama will change any bans that have been put on taking Pic's of buses or anywhere else since, there is a thing called STATE LAWS.

so the state and county's and towns can say what is legal or illegal, no matter what the federal government says about such a thing and visa verse

and another thing, some police officers don't give a crap about anything as long as it means they don't have to do paper work. and i know this first hand. and u know how officers are not suppose to judgmental and are suppose to listen to all side of a story, well some don't. and another half lie on their paper work and even change what has happen to ppl, as the case is with some police officers out of Suffolk County's Fifth Precinct.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Long Island & Westchester Buses All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: