BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New downtown terminal for Centro moving forward

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Upstate New York Surface Transit
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RailBus63

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 9:23 am    Post subject: New downtown terminal for Centro moving forward Reply with quote

Syracuse.com - Plans on track to relocate bus stop

Highlights:

Quote:
Most people wouldn't like being told they were "categorically excluded."

But Frank Kobliski of the Central New York Regional Transportation Authority had anxiously waited for more than a year to hear those very words.
CNYRTA, which runs the Centro bus service, waited for 13 months to get a green light from the federal government to move forward with its plans to relocate the Common Center bus transfer station from Fayette and South Salina streets.

Word of the "categorical exclusion" - which essentially excludes Centro from having to jump through more regulatory hoops - came last week and unstuck a project that had ground to a halt.

Quote:
At its current location, riders and buses clog what has historically been the center of downtown, the 300 block of South Salina Street, making it unattractive to developers, business tenants and higher-end retail. The riders themselves have no shelter. It's hard for them to find their connections as the buses line up helter-skelter. They have to cross busy streets to get to their connections.

At the new location, all the buses and the riders will be off the street and off the sidewalk. Buses will pick riders up at the same place every day, so if you need the bus to Camillus, you'll know exactly where to find it. And there will be an indoor, climate-controlled building where riders can wait. At the same time, it's close enough to the current Common Center that Centro won't have to reconfigure routes or extend travel times.

Kobliski said he now believes that CNYRTA will be able to select a design and construction firm by February, and will be able to open the new Common Center by April 2011. In fact, because Centro has the money it needs for the project in hand, Kobliski said there's no chance of the project being derailed by the financial crisis.
Dieseljim
Deceased

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:56 am    Post subject: Downtown Terminal for Centro Reply with quote

Why couldn't the former New York Central station on Erie Boulevard, which was used as a bus terminal for a long time be used as the Centro Terminal? It seems to me that it would be a natural for connecting various bus routes with each other since it was configured and used as a bus terminal until the Intermodal Center next to the Carousel Mall opened. Another possibility might be the former Lackawanna station last used by On Track. I m not sure if On Track is still running at all. Be ashamed if it is not. Either one is close to downtown Syracuse and one has been used as a bus terminal. I think either is worth looking at as one possibility.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
RailBus63

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Downtown Terminal for Centro Reply with quote

Dieseljim wrote:
Why couldn't the former New York Central station on Erie Boulevard, which was used as a bus terminal for a long time be used as the Centro Terminal? It seems to me that it would be a natural for connecting various bus routes with each other since it was configured and used as a bus terminal until the Intermodal Center next to the Carousel Mall opened. Another possibility might be the former Lackawanna station last used by On Track. I m not sure if On Track is still running at all. Be ashamed if it is not. Either one is close to downtown Syracuse and one has been used as a bus terminal. I think either is worth looking at as one possibility.

The New York Central terminal building was purchased by Time-Warner Cable and now houses their offices and studios. It's also located too far east of downtown to be an ideal central terminal for local buses.

I'm not sure who owns the former Lackawanna terminal, but the building is probably less than ideal for a bus terminal since it is located too far to one side of the parking lot which would be the obvious area for the bus berths.

The bus transit terminals that seem to work best, in my opinion, are those which have a waiting room located close to the berths, allowing riders to stay inside out of the elements until their bus arrives - an important consideration given the nasty winters here in Syracuse.
RailBus63

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Demolition is underway at the terminal site:

Syracuse.com - Demolition begins on former American Red Cross building
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Upstate New York Surface Transit All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: