BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Westchester County Commuter Buses

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Long Island & Westchester Buses
View previous topic :: View next topic  
upperharlemline4ever

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 9:57 pm    Post subject: Westchester County Commuter Buses Reply with quote

Yesterday, October 7, 2008, I was in front of the Weschester County Center, where the White Plains-New York City Commuter Bus (BxM4C) turns around and there stood an Orion VI or VII bus. It had high back commuter seats and no rear passenger door. It was late in the evening so I couldn't get a bus number.

Is this what is replacing the old MCI buses? If so, what a shame.
nycbusfan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Westchester County Commuter Buses Reply with quote

upperharlemline4ever wrote:
Yesterday, October 7, 2008, I was in front of the Weschester County Center, where the White Plains-New York City Commuter Bus (BxM4C) turns around and there stood an Orion VI or VII bus. It had high back commuter seats and no rear passenger door. It was late in the evening so I couldn't get a bus number.

Is this what is replacing the old MCI buses? If so, what a shame.

That bus is an Orion V and the Bee Line will replace all MCI's with those.
RailBus63

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MTA should have purchased suburban Orion V's or a similar bus instead of all those MCI cruisers. The single-door Classics did just fine all those years on the DOT express routes.
nycbusfan

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RailBus63 wrote:
MTA should have purchased suburban Orion V's or a similar bus instead of all those MCI cruisers. The single-door Classics did just fine all those years on the DOT express routes.

Some runs can use and Orion V but others need an MCI because of the amount of passengers.
asdfasdf

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The specs for the new buses were written as 40 foot buses. While MCI could have bid a D4005, that was probably more than an Orion V. Also, D4005s are probably, not ADA compliant? For some reason they (Westchester) felt they didn't need a 45 foot bus and wrote the specs to fit Orion Vs.

Bob K
nycbusfan

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rrbob wrote:
The specs for the new buses were written as 40 foot buses. While MCI could have bid a D4005, that was probably more than an Orion V. Also, D4005s are probably, not ADA compliant? For some reason they (Westchester) felt they didn't need a 45 foot bus and wrote the specs to fit Orion Vs.

Bob K

D4000's can be built with a wheelchair lift.
upperharlemline4ever

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the information. I'm not much into bus technology but the MCI's and the GM Classics look like over the road buses. which is what this run is, 25 + miles in each direction and then running through midtown Manhattan. Perhaps I'm wrong, but I don't see these buses (the Orions) taking this kind of abuse. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
RailBus63

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Classic was a transit bus that could be modified as necessary for suburban or express duty. Orion V buses have been similarly modified - Golden Gate Transit in California is a good example.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Long Island & Westchester Buses All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: