BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Historical Buses of NYC: TMC CNG RTS-06

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Q65A

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 2:19 pm    Post subject: Historical Buses of NYC: TMC CNG RTS-06 Reply with quote

From 1987 to 1994, TMC delivered 1,240 RTS-06’s to NYC bus lines: 972 units went to NYCT and 268 units served the PBL’s in Brooklyn and Queens. Many of these buses still are in service at this writing, so under normal circumstances TMC RTS’s would not be described correctly as “historical buses” of NYC. Nevertheless, included in this large fleet are 53 special buses that helped to shape the current NYC bus fleet. The Greater New York metropolitan area is among the most congested regions in the U.S., so it should come as no surprise that NYC-area transit operators are expected to comply with increasingly stringent air pollution control regulations. Diesel-powered buses frequently are targeted as major polluters, thus transit agencies are challenged to explore new technologies that might mitigate exhaust emissions. “Alternative Fuel Vehicles” (“AFV’s”) may be defined as motor vehicles equipped with engines that use fuels other than gasoline or diesel fuel. Triboro Coach Corp. had been an early experimenter with AFV’s in NYC, acquiring 6 GMC RTS-06’s buses powered by specially-modified diesel engines fueled by methanol: TCC M-1 to M-6 were T8J-206’s built in February 1987. These units did not prove to be very reliable, perhaps due to the chemically-aggressive nature of MeOH (chemists’ shorthand name for methanol). TCC later resumed their experiments with AFV’s, picking up 12 MeOH-fueled TMC Model T-80206’s: TCC 2136-2147 were built in March 1994 (which over a decade later became MTAB 7174-7184). More significantly, with the assistance of NYCDOT, the Jackson Heights-based PBL received additional 23 alternative-fueled Model T-80206’s from TMC. Powered by specially-modified diesel engines and fueled by compressed natural gas (CNG)TCC 2050-2054 were delivered in January 1994, while TCC 2056-2073 were built in April 1994. These units were white with red stripes with white-on-red TCC decals. Perhaps still not convinced that MeOH power was dead, during the same timeframe TCC also received additional methanol-powered RTS-06’s: TMC delivered TCC 2136-2147 in March 1994. Brooklyn’s Command Bus Company also received 29 CNG-powered RTS-06’s from TMC during the same timeframe: painted white with yellow and green stripes, CBC 4903-4931 were built in March-April 1994. At that time, CBC was not a beginner when it came to AFV’s: with the assistance of local utility provider Brooklyn Union Gas Co., Command had acquired a pair of CNG-fueled Orion I buses in 1987. The 53-unit TMC CNG RTS-06 fleet used transversely-mounted straight-6 Cummins L10G engines mated with ZF Ecomat 5HP-590 5-speed hydraulic transmissions in V-drive formation. They used transmission retarders and had dash mounted fuel gauges and engine hourmeters. While methanol-fueled buses were virtually indistinguishable externally from their conventional diesel-powered sisters, CNG buses easily were identified by large streamlined “skyline” structures mounted on their rooftops that housed CNG cylinders. Vertical rooftop-mounted exhaust pipes also were fitted, as were dual rear-mounted amber deceleration alert lamps and Luminator electronic front, side and rear destination/route signs. TCC units used conventional horizontal RTS stop/turn/tail lamp assemblies, while CBC units used vertically-oriented oblong stop/turn/tail lamps. Push-type rear doors and rear-door wheelchair lifts also were used. White-painted 5-hole 10-stud cast steel disc wheels were used all around. CNG fueling facilities were installed at the CBC and TCC garages, with the financial assistance of NYCDOT. NYCDOT also constructed CNG facilities at the new QSC garage on Ulmer Street in College Point, Queens, but QSC did not operate CNG-powered RTS-06’s, receiving instead a large fleet of NYCDOT-funded Orion V CNG’s (some of which also were provided to both CBC and TCC). TCC and CBC used their CNG RTS’s in local and express services, and these units rendered acceptable service for many years. Their operating record must have been reasonably good, because in 1998-1999 NYCDOT acquired a large fleet of Orion V CNG's for service at CBC, TCC, and QSC. Research studies conducted subsequently by various government agencies and transit-related organizations later revealed that the maintenance costs of CNG transit buses frequently were greater than those of conventional diesel buses or diesel-electric hybrid buses. On deeper analysis, this is not surprising. CNG-fueled diesel engines require ignition systems similar to those used on gasoline engines (including spark plugs and attendant wires, ignition coils and other ignition-related electrical equipment), maintenance-intensive devices that are not used on traditional diesel engines. CNG buses inherently are taller than their diesel siblings (sometimes restricting their operational territories in areas where low overhead clearances are prevalent). As compared to fueling costs associated with conventional diesel buses, CNG fueling stations represent large capital investments (including retrofitting of electrical apparatus and heating equipment in depots to prevent ignition of potentially-hazardous atmospheres). CNG bus fueling often is accomplished much more slowly than diesel bus fueling. A fire at the TCC depot in 2004 resulted in the suspension of CNG fueling at that facility, and all CNG buses were transferred to CBC or QSC who still maintained CNG operations at their depots. TCC’s TMC CNG RTS’s were sent to Canarsie to work out the remainder of their service lives with CBC along with several TCC Orion V CNG’s; many ex-TCC Orion V CNG’s were sent to QSC. When the MTA Bus takeover arrived in March 2005, the MTAB roster showed the following 50 CNG RTS’s: MTAB 681-707 (ex-CBC) and MTAB 7151-7173 (ex-TCC). These buses lasted a short time in service with MTAB until they were replaced by Orion VII HEV’s in 2006. CBC 4904 (MTAB 682) was restored as part of the MTAB Museum Bus fleet, and is stored at Spring Creek Depot when not on exhibit. As a postscript, the PBL’s were not alone in NYC with CNG bus experiments in the early 1990’s. NYCT acquired a fleet of 31 Orion V CNG’s in 1994-1995 (NYCT 317, 581-610) and installed CNG fueling equipment at Brooklyn’s Jackie Gleason Depot; these units still are in service today. When NYCT opened the new West Farms Depot in the Bronx Division on September 7, 2003, the facility was equipped to support a fleet of 2003-2004 Orion VII CNG buses. Plans also were afoot to install CNG fueling equipment at Manhattanville Depot and possibly other NYCT depots, but these plans later were scrapped. NYCT performed several environmental impact studies to compare the exhaust emissions of CNG buses versus conventional diesel equipped with diesel particulate filters (DPF’s) burning ultra low sulfur diesel (ULSD). Results of these experiments showed that CNG buses emitted much larger amounts of so-called “carbonyl” compounds (i.e. chemical compounds containing the highly-reactive >C=O group that are smog-formers)as compared with ULSD-burning diesel buses. CNG buses also had lower fuel economy. Later NYCT research studies comparing CNG buses with diesel-electric hybrids showed that CNG buses cost more to operate than HEV’s, mainly due to dramatically-reduced brake relining costs of HEV’s (NYCT HEV’s use regenerative as well as foundation braking)plus the generally higher costs of maintaining a more complex CNG-fueling infrastructure at JG and WF depots. No new CNG buses have been acquired by NYCT since the 2004 Orion VII CNG’s (NYCT 7685-7819, in service at WF); the final CNG buses for the ex-PBL’s were 1999 Orion V CNG’s (ex-QSC 396-468, 469-499; now MTAB 9827-9899, 9901-9931; in service at CP). Given that new Orion VII HEV’s were sent to SC in 2006 to augment their aging CNG fleet, it is doubtful that new CNG buses will be acquired by MTAB. Although NYCT has not yet begun replacing the fleets in service at JG and WF, based on the results of NYCT’s own comparative research it would be surprising if additional CNG buses were acquired by NYCT in the future. This situation is in complete contrast to several other large US transit operators (most notably LAMTA in California and Pierce Transit in Tacoma WA) where large fleets of CNG-powered buses currently are in service.
The Port of Authority

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A very well thought-out and insightful essay on the history of CNG buses in New York City. Excellent work.
Mr. Linsky
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob,

What can I say - you've done it again - the best ever!

Pictured below are Triboro G2069 and G2071 as well as Command 4912.

I'm assuming that the 'G' in front of the Triboro fleet numbers stands for 'Gas' but I stand corrected on that.

Thanks for sharing such interesting information.

Mr. Linsky - Green Bus Lines, Inc., Jamaica, NY

Q65A

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the photos, Mr. L!
I particularly like that head-on shot of TCC G2071.
The sleek styling of the RTS handles that rooftop CNG pod quite gracefully, no?
I have seen photos of one of CBC's Orion I CNG's, and its severely rectangular cylinder housing looked as if a small storge building had landed atop the roof of the poor bus.
I personally recall having seen CBC's TMC CNG RTS's running northbound on Madison Avenue about 2 years ago. They really were conspicuous as compared to the Orion V CNG's and diesel RTS's that also worked that same street.
I have to say that MTAB did a very nice job preserving their colorful Museum Bus Fleet. I had the opportunity to sit behind the wheel of CBC 4904 at the 2006 and 2007 MTAB Roadeos. It is a beautifully restored bus that smelled very much like a brand new car. The soft, multi-colored 2x2 forward-facing express bus seats were immaculate.
Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob,

Thanks,

I had always wondered what those odd looking Varsity buses were, and now I know!

Pictured below are two Orion 01.509 CNG's parked at Green Line's Arverne Garage in February of 2004 (ugly looking, aren't they?).

Just as a contrast, I've also posted below an Orion 5 with a much better looking roof installation (this picture was taken at 23rd. and Madison in May of 2005).

Both photos taken by Michael Pompili and are from the BusTalk Gallery.

Q65A

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clearly the engineers who designed those early Orion 1 CNG's were not much preoccupied with aesthetics or aerodynamics.
I suppose that a transit bus does not need to be particularly aero-styled, since it spends most of its service life creeping along in the right lane @<30 MPH, but a few radii here and there on the CNG housing would have been appreciated.
I like the paint job on that CBC Orion V CNG; those blacked-out windows look very sharp.
GBL Rebel

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The engine in the methanol buses were 6V-92. This applied to both the GMC and TMC RTS from what I was told. The methanol program was stopped around 2000. The TMC's were refitted with Series 50 engines. I know of 3 GMC's being converted to diesel 6V-92TA. These became GBL 653-654 and JBI 3700.

From something said to me by a mechanic from Caterpillar, any methanol engine did not have a long life span. The methanol was so nasty, any simple engine overhaul meant throw out the whole engine and start new.
Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GBL R,

I've heard about the ill affects Methanol has on engines which would only serve to shorten the lives of any in transit bus operation.

Apparently, acidic action eats away at internal parts and makes it impossible to attempt any rebuild.

I guess you might say that Methanol engines are disposable!

Q65A

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GBL Rebel wrote:
The engine in the methanol buses were 6V-92. This applied to both the GMC and TMC RTS from what I was told. The methanol program was stopped around 2000. The TMC's were refitted with Series 50 engines. I know of 3 GMC's being converted to diesel 6V-92TA. These became GBL 653-654 and JBI 3700.

From something said to me by a mechanic from Caterpillar, any methanol engine did not have a long life span. The methanol was so nasty, any simple engine overhaul meant throw out the whole engine and start new.
Thanks much for that info, Nick!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> New York City Buses All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: