BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

With Midtown Plaza Closed, Trailways Needs Interim new Home

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Upstate New York Surface Transit
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dieseljim
Deceased

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 1:08 pm    Post subject: With Midtown Plaza Closed, Trailways Needs Interim new Home Reply with quote

Now that Rochester,NY's Midtown Plaza is now completely closed, the Trailways (and Greyhound) terminal located there for the past 46 years is going to need a new interim home. The old Greyhound Terminal at 320 Andrews Street has been ruled out, since that building has been vacant for so long that it is pretty far gone and would need to be torn down. Another idea would be to move into the Amtrak Station on Central Avenue. The problem I see with that, is with 24 buses a day in and out of the current locations and some buses laying over for several hours between run, I do not see how that could possibly work, especially if you try to get half a dozen or more 45 foot buses into and out of the place at the same time, given the layout of the roadway and parking situation. While I would like to see a true intermodal terminal like what Syracuse has, the current Amtrak site simply does not have enough room. So, I suggest the possibility of knocking down the old main post office across the street in part or in toto and put the temporary bus terminal there. That way intermodal connections could still be made with ease. Either way, if the City of Rochester really wants a true intermodal terminal with Amtrak and the buses altogether in one place, some current structures are going to have to go no matter how one slices it. That there is a new bus terminal being built just off of Main Street with no thought of bringing Amtrak into the mix is an example of the assbackward and half assed planning done by the City of Rochester, which is no wonder those folks who can, get the hell out while they still can. It is the morons at City Hall that are turning the city into a drug and crime ridden cesspool.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Upstate New York Surface Transit All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: