BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Gillig under new ownership - could we soon see an artic?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Transit Bus Manufacturers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DE60LF

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 12:46 pm    Post subject: Gillig under new ownership - could we soon see an artic? Reply with quote

I was wondering, with Gillig now under new ownership, could we eventually see an articulated model? In the U.S., the artic market is dominated by New Flyer and NABI. NovaBus will soon enter the U.S. market, however, it is yet to be seen how will the LFS (including the LFS artic) sell in the U.S. this second time around.

We all know that Gillig's primary business model was to sell mostly to smaller TAs that don't need articulated buses. However, with Gillig now under new ownership, could we see this strategy change? If Gillig offered an articulated version of the Advantage/BRT, it would give New Flyer true competition.

NABI's artics are mostly a niche offering, as they are the only current manufacturer of CNG artics. Gillig doesn't make any CNG buses, and if Gillig were to make articulated buses, they would probably only be offered in clean diesel and diesel-electric hybrid. I asked New Flyer why they won't make a CNG artic, and they told me that the market is too small, with money better spent on improving the DE60LF(R). While the NABI 60-BRT CNG is gaining popularity, there really isn't much room for more than one manufacturer of CNG artics. Prior to the introduction of the NABI 60-BRT, Neoplan offered CNG artics until they closed down. The market for clean diesel and diesel-electric hybrid artics is still much larger, and I think that there is definately room for a second (or even third) manufacturer here.

So, what are your views on whether Gillig will produce and artic or not?
DE60LF

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, does anyone have an opinion? I know that 'Bus Nostalgia' thread is a distraction from the threads in this forum, however, I still would like an opinion. PLEASE!
RailBus63

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could see Gillig offering an articulated bus by licensing an existing overseas design. The only North American bus company that arguably designed a successful artic on its own was New Flyer. MAN, Ikarus/NABI, Van Hool, Volvo and Neoplan all were affiliated with foreign bus companies that had been building articulated buses elsewhere. NovaBus undoubtedly tapped parent Volvo's expertise and Orion is apparently doing the same with Mercedes. Given the large numbers of North American bus builders now offering artics, I'm not sure Gillig would be making a wise investment jumping into that segment of the market.
Mr. Transit

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I heard from some of my contacts in the transit bus industry, is that the new ownership will keep the status quo for the time being. What they should and need to do is open another manufacturing facilty, to catch up with their backlog of bus orders.
DE60LF

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Transit wrote:
What I heard from some of my contacts in the transit bus industry, is that the new ownership will keep the status quo for the time being. What they should and need to do is open another manufacturing facilty, to catch up with their backlog of bus orders.

Unfortunately, it is too late for Gillig to buy Neoplan's factory in Lamar, as it already has gotten a buyer. However, perhaps Gillig can build another factory on the East Coast for convienence of some of the customers there. Gillig buses are very popular in Florida.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Transit Bus Manufacturers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: