BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

History of transit in Danbury CT

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Surface Transit - Eastern United States
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rick

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 2:55 pm    Post subject: History of transit in Danbury CT Reply with quote

see this link to a history of transit in Danbury.
http://www.hvceo.org/transport/HART12%20HARTHISTORY.php
Mr. Linsky
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick,

Firstly, let me welcome you to BusTalk.info and I know I speak for every one when I say that we look forward to your valued input.

I have looked at the Danbury link and have found an interesting Yellow Coach model that, thanks to you, I will do a short essay on in the 'Manufacturer's' forum under 'Bus Nostalgia'

I know Danbury quite well because that's where we used to change equipment on the NYNH&H from electric to first steam and then Diesel on our trips from New York to Pittsfield (Mass) years ago.

Thanks again.

Mr. Linsky - Green Bus Lines, Inc., Jamaica, NY
Bill D

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for posting this history, Rick. A job well done!

Reading the history brought back memories for me, as I worked for Candlewood Valley Bus in the late 70's and early 80's (for the Ridgefied and Redding school operations). I occasionally rode the city buses, and I recall that the Mercedes were in pretty rough shape at that time. The 5308's were more reliable, but even they had their problems, and school buses would be used to cover the routes. Bill Clinkard was a man of his word, and if the DOT failed to live up to their end of the "handshake" agreement, he would have never let them forget.

The Danbury area has grown significantly since that time, and it has been pleasing to see the transit system grow with it. As a realatively young system, I believe that it has been easier for HART to institute different types of services to met the region's trasportation needs.

Reading this history also prompted me to make arrangements to visit the HART facility this week, as I would be in the area. I went to gather some information on the new Gilligs, to pass on to my supervisor for our upcoming replacement of the Waterbury fleet, as well as to have a look at the facility (which HART seems to have outgrown already). It was an interesting time to visit, as there was a variety of equipment present, including Orions, Gilligs, Nova RTS's and New Flyers, as well as many smaller vehicles. The maintenance supervisor gave me a tour of the facility, as well as the new Gilligs. I also had the opportunity to drive Gillig #503 around the lot. I do like these buses, as they seem to be thoughtfully designed.

HART has done well to meet the changing needs of the region, and it looks as if that trend will continue in the future. Some pictures fom my visit can be foud here: http://forum.bustalk.info/viewtopic.php?t=1404&sid=55a3fe1cc5c4a2850455b06378483a5f.

Bill

Last edited by Bill D on Thu Jan 01, 2009 11:27 am; edited 1 time in total
Rick

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback. This was an interesting project for us.

Rick
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Surface Transit - Eastern United States All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: