BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Are You A Bus Driver?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Member Introductions and Announcements
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Are You A Bus Driver?
Yes
24%
 24%  [ 6 ]
No
40%
 40%  [ 10 ]
New York City Transit
8%
 8%  [ 2 ]
MTA Bus
4%
 4%  [ 1 ]
Other Transit Company
8%
 8%  [ 2 ]
Other type of Job
16%
 16%  [ 4 ]
No I go to School
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 25

Pipe

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 12:28 am    Post subject: Are You A Bus Driver? Reply with quote

Let's see what type of job you have. So we got to know a little about you. Are you a Bus Driver? What Bus Company do you work for? Do you go to School tell us about your School. Or just tell us about the type of work you do. "Pipe"
Pipe

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Am retired from the New York City Transit Authority I was a Bus Driver and Dispatcher. "Pipe"
Cyberider

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Pipe. I've worked in the steel industry all my life as an estimator. Would like to retire but I suppose the health insurance issue will keep me in the harness until SS/Medicare.
blazer

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was a Bus Operator for six years with MaBSTOA. I've been a Dispatcher now for two years.
Hawk Operator 10
Deceased

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pipe,

Just to clarify, I am not a bus driver, I am a "Bus Operator."

Hawk Operator
Pipe

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hawk Operator 10 wrote:
Pipe,

Just to clarify, I am not a bus driver, I am a "Bus Operator."

Hawk Operator
Hawk you are a Bus Operator. But NOT all DRIVERS are Operators. It takes time to become a Bus Operator. You what am trying to say. "Pipe"
Mr. Linsky
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 4:38 pm    Post subject: Was I a Bus Driver? Reply with quote

Was I a Bus Driver?

Actually no! I was an 'MCO' (Motor Coach Operator) - I like MCO much better than B/O which reminds me of the old Lifebuoy Soap ad that refered to 'body odor'!

I drove summer relief during my college years for Green Bus Lines in 1959, 1960 and 1961 (actually, an accumulation of one year of driving at four months per season).

Weather permitting, we ran Woodhaven/Crossbay specials to Riis Park in Rockaway.

In inclement weather we did meal and vacations reliefs throughout the system.

We normally drove 1947 and 1949 GM TDH4507's (I guess they wouldn't trust us with the brand new 'new looks' very often).

I had a great time, met a lot of interesting people, learned a whole new language called 'busdriverese', and have memories that will last a lifetime!

If I had it to do over again, I sure would!

Mr. Linsky
"The Green Hornet"
Green Bus Lines, Inc., Jamaica, New York
N4 Jamaica

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, merely a bus rider since the 1940's. Joe
Mr. Linsky
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

N4 Jamaica wrote:
No, merely a bus rider since the 1940's. Joe

N4 Jamaica,

Don't minimize the value of bus riders - without them we wouldn't have had jobs!

Mr. Linsky
"The Green Hornet"
shortlineMCI

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes..Bus Driver here. I was always facinated by the huge cruisers and one day just got the idea to get up and get my CDL and go for it. Training was supposed to last 1 month for Shortline, but after 2 weeks, I got sent back to my depot for route training.

Sorry to go against the grain here, but I consider myself to be a bus driver. This political correctness is silliness, usually comes from fear, or wanting to gloss over the real words. IE: The NYC garbagemen have a new silly name called sanitation engineers
Hawk Operator 10
Deceased

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shortlineMCI wrote:

Sorry to go against the grain here, but I consider myself to be a bus driver. This political correctness is silliness, usually comes from fear, or wanting to gloss over the real words.

It is not political correctness, but my actual job title. Unlike most "drivers" , who have some leniency, my work requires precision and expertise from the moment I get behind the wheel. At MTAB there is little room for error, as error can cause multiple injuries and deaths. Passengers place faith in our skills every time they board or are on the street. I am required to remain calm, cool, and collected at all times regardless of situation.

Fear or gloss over? Bus Operators are trained professional drivers, fear is not a factor, as fear causes accidents. Gloss over what? The men and women I work with earned the titile of Bus Operator, not common "driver," with their dedication and expertise. You may consider yourself a "bus driver", that is your choice, but please do not think that a "professional bus operator" is a common "silly driver."
shortlineMCI

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey there Hawk...

That's exactly my point hawk. "Bus Operator" is a fairly new name for the same job the drivers have been doing for how many decades. Case in point..a friend of mine whos who's father is long retired has been driving the old route number 15 bus in the Bronx thinks the name Bus operator is a name given to make the person feel more important. He still to this day a man in his late 80's says he's a retired bus driver. How many times did you hear the term bus operator on the honeymooners?

One thing I'll never do is minimize the duties of a bus driver. A bus driver holds so much responsibility in his or her hands.

One thing for sure is that a company cannot have a monkey sitting behind the wheel of a (in my case anyhow) 19 ton, half million dollar piece of equipment carrying 57 lives at any one time.

In other words what I'm trying to say, is, by the end of the day, we all have the same responsibilities, and the lord knows it's huge no matter what you want to call it. I'm just very straight forward in my words.

Have a good one! K
Shorty

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I'm in the taxi business and have been for 25 years now, but I do ride the bus frequently and have become a bus fan.
rideonrulez

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in Scheduling & Planning but have a CDL in case I get pulled to the road which I would be fine with doing since I love driving a bus! They won't let me drive on a regular basis here though Crying or Very sad
Washie.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 5:42 am    Post subject: Bus Driver Reply with quote

Hi washie here,I started as a bus conductor and then became a driver.
I started work with W. Alexander & Sons Midland in Cumbernauld Depot
in 1971. The company has changed hands quite a few times over the years,and is now owned by First Group and I'am still in the same depot.

Washie.

Crazyhorse
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Member Introductions and Announcements All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: