BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Observation with series vs. parallel hybrid buses

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> General Bus Forum - All Bus Topics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DE60LF

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:07 pm    Post subject: Observation with series vs. parallel hybrid buses Reply with quote

I have noticed interesting observations with series vs. parallel hybrid buses.

My observations have noticed that series hybrid buses always use smaller engines than their diesel counterparts. The Orion VII with the BAE HybriDrive series hybrid drivetrain uses a Cummins ISB engine. New Flyer has also recently introduced a version of the DE40LFR with an ISE-ThunderVolt series hybrid drivetrain, and it also uses a Cummins ISB engine. The GE40LF (also with ISE-ThunderVolt drivetrain) gasoline-electric hybrid uses a Ford Triton V10 gasoline engine.

Now with parallel hybrids, I have noticed that more of them use larger engines than those with series hybrid drivetrains. Both New Flyer and Nova Bus use Cummins ISL engines in their GM-Allison parallel hybrid buses. Gillig uses a Cummins ISB engine, however. Not sure about NABI though.

So, I was wondering, do smaller engines work better with series hybrid drivetrains, and larger engines work better with parallel hybrid drivetrains? I have heard that the New Flyer DE40LFR (with GM-Allison parallel hybrid drivetrain) has a faster accleration than the Gillig Advantage/BRT hybrid, however, I don't have any numbers on fuel economy.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> General Bus Forum - All Bus Topics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: