BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

the mta select bus service is breaking the law

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mercurygrandmarquis1

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:16 pm    Post subject: the mta select bus service is breaking the law Reply with quote

the flashing blue led lights on select bus service buses is illegal. Blue lights are resrved for volunteer fire fighters and law enforcement (to the rear only). Blue is just a courtesy light in new york but using them for buses will confuse drivers and reduce response times in an emergency if you dont believe m heres the state law for emergency lights.
http://www.nysgtsc.state.ny.us/emer-vt.htm
Does anyone agree weith me?
transitman

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:27 pm    Post subject: transitman Reply with quote

What blue lights Question
nycbusfan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: transitman Reply with quote

transitman wrote:
What blue lights Question

The ones next to the destination sign on the Select Bus Service buses. Here is a photo of one of these buses.
Mr. Linsky
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mgm1,

I'm inclined to agree with you on what confusion might be generated by lights of colors that are unfamiliar to drivers or that are usually reserved for emergency vehilces.

However, I don't think that 'blue' lights on NYC buses are a significant factor because to my knowledge no NYC emergency vehicles use them.

Additionally, outside of the city they are only used by volunteer firemen on their own personal vehicles while on the way to either the firehouse or directly to the scene of a fire!

So, it's really not such a big issue.

The New York State Vehicle and Traffic Law contains some interesting but little known regulations of which two still stand out in my mind.

Do you know what vehicles have the absolute right of way over any others including fire trucks, ambulances and police cars? - the answer is U.S. Mail Trucks!

The other states that no driver of a vehicle may transmit or receive two way radio signals while the vehicle is in motion.

This law was written back in the thirties and would still be very applicable in the use of a cell phone merely because a cell phone is nothing more than a glorified two way radio!

So all these new laws on cell phones are redundant, and the original law could have been enforced from day one!

Mr. Linsky - Green Bus Lines, Inc., Jamaica, NY
S-60 To Smith Haven Mall

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coming from a volunteer firefighting famliy, i can't say i see anything wrong with them, i know if they were flashing like the lights on fire trucks and police cars, then i think it would qulify as breaking the law. but i'm sure the MTA made sure it was legal.

and normally volunteer firefighters go to the fire house, very little do the drive to a fire in their own car.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> New York City Buses All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: