BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Information on Yonkers Transit and Club Transportation

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Long Island & Westchester Buses
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dieseljim
Deceased

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 1:19 pm    Post subject: Information on Yonkers Transit and Club Transportation Reply with quote

Does anyone know if Wilkipedia would have any information on either Club Transportation or Yonkers Transit. I am very interested in finding out as much about these two companies along with the other Westchester County carriers that went into forming the Bee Line System.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
N4 Jamaica

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim,
Please see this thread for some information:
http://bustalk.info/forum/viewtopic.php?t=328&highlight=yonkers

Joe McMahon, whose memory is mainly of the streetcar routes of Yonkers (1 thru 9) and Mt Vernon (A and B), that is, the routes of 1948 or so.
Dieseljim
Deceased

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 11:21 am    Post subject: Club Transportation,et. al Reply with quote

Thanks, N4 Jamaica, I think that did the trick for finishing Volume 3 of my Bus Lines Serving NY State book set. I am now at work assembling at the very least, partial rosters of these companies.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
upperharlemline4ever

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just have a simple question. Was Yonkers Railroad Company/Yonkers Transit a subsidiary of Surface Transportation Co? Their buses had a totally different livery (very light green/green) unlike STS subsidiary, Westchester Street Transportation Company. It was interesting Westchester Street buses actually had the STS circular logo on them. Also was Westerchester Surface Ways (used same bus livery as Westchester Street/Surface Transit) a STS subsidiary or was that an independent company? This is something that was never very clear. I was a youngster when these bus lines ran and had no way then of checking that out. Now all records seem to have been lost. I have contacted Liberty Lines and they can't or won't provide any information.
Mr. Linsky
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I made an error in the original post.

Gentlemen,

If you want to learn more about Westchester (NY) bus transportation through the years I would suggest visiting;

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/GMOldLookBus/

You'll find experts there including myself (although I'm not well versed on Westchester) that can answer every question you can come up with.

It's an amazing group that I'm proud to be a member of.

Mr. Linsky - Green Bus Lines, Inc., Jamaica, NY
Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way;

I'm pretty proud to be a member here at BusTalk too.

You're all a great bunch of guys with a very professional approach to what we do!

(don't let it go to your heads though!).

Mr. 'L'
c1cmc

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi ..I would lkike to converse about the bus lines of the past in Yonkers NY
Anyone interested I woiuld love to renew what I know about them with you

My uncle drove for 2 bus lines in Yonkers during my youth . I rode on his bus many times

One bus line was Club Transportation .. the other Mid County Buslines (Nodine Hill) and Park Avenue

He also drove for Club when Yonkers Raceway was open

I remember Yonkers Transit ( The light green busses) I rode on them often.

They had a lot of routes in Yonkers

Along with those were Bernocchia Brothers which had Hastings and North Yonkers as routes as well as trips to Playland during the summer months
Bernaochia Brothers became LIBERTY. Not sure but I think Bernochia went bankrupt but somehow managed to become Liberty.

I also had an uncle who drove for The Bronxvlle Bus route

Be glad to talk with anyone about the bus lines in Yonkers.
Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

c1cmc,

Thank you so much for reopening a thread that has been dormant for the past six years!

Also, let me take this opportunity to welcome you to BusTalk and say that we certainly look forward to your valued contributions especially about Vintage Westchester County.

If you scroll this forum to 'Long Island and Westchester Buses' you will find a wealth of information on vintage Westchester County including photos and rosters of virtually all of the now defunct companies and still in the process of expanding.

Your memories and efforts here would be very much appreciated.

Many regards,

Mr. Linsky - Green Bus Lines, Inc., Jamaica, New York
N4 Jamaica

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, c1cmc!
Thank you. You have already led me to the name of the operator of the Nodine Hill route. An article in the November 22, 1974, issue of the Herald Statesman states that the NYS DOT had found that the owner of MID-CITY COACH, Henry Malanowski, had abandoned the service. Club Transportation was asked to fill in temporarily. However, Malanowski said he had not abandoned his claim to the route, merely he could not pay the drivers! The article states that Malanowski had held the Nodine Hill franchise for 22 years, apparently about 1952-1974.
-
--
Although I was raised in northern Manhattan, in the 1940's my folks brought me to Yonkers often, Mom to shop at Getty Square, Dad to chat with Cliff Nelligan at Blackburn's Pharmacy and to ride streetcars. This year, I find myself driving through Yonkers weekly.
Best wishes.
Joe McMahon
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Long Island & Westchester Buses All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: