BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Information needed o Utility Lines and Bee Line Routes
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Long Island & Westchester Buses
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dieseljim
Deceased

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 7:06 am    Post subject: Information needed o Utility Lines and Bee Line Routes Reply with quote

Does anyone have any information on Utility Lines, buses it operated and routes. I also need route information on Bee Line for my New York Bus Lines Volume 3. Thank you very much.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Mr. Linsky
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dieseljim,

Until the MSBA takeover in 1973, Utility Lines (a subsidiary of Bee Line) operated what is now the 'N19' route from Freeport to Babylon in Suffolk County via Merrick Road and Montauk Highway.

Mr. Linsky - Green Bus Lines, Inc., Jamaica, NY
Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dieseljim,

For the most up to date information on the former Bee Line (L.I.) routes, I suggest perusing the following URL;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_bus_routes_in_Nassau_County,_New_York

d.marra

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Linsky wrote:
Dieseljim,

Until the MSBA takeover in 1973, Utility Lines (a subsidiary of Bee Line) operated what is now the 'N19' route from Freeport to Babylon in Suffolk County via Merrick Road and Montauk Highway.

Prior to the MSBA takeover, Utility Lines operated from Freeport to Patchogue. Utility lines had two other routes, from East Islip, to Central Islip, via Carlton Ave.
When MSBA tookover Utility Lines, the Freeport to Patchouge route was broken into two seperate routes, N-19, Freeport-Babylon, and S-40, Babylon-Patchogue. Both routes were operated by MSBA, until Suffolk Transit assumed operation in 1975.
In June 1973, The East Islip-Central Islip route, was operated by Suffolk Transit, as S3c. When Suffolk began operation of S40, the 3c route was extended from East Islip to South Shore Mall in Bay Shore.

D. Marra aka Mr. Schenck
N4 Jamaica

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please allow a bit of memory to contribute, with chance of error. Living in northern Manhattan in July of 1960, I wanted to visit some friends in Oakdale despite a LIRR strike. I rode the Independent Subway to Hillside Avenue and somewhere caught a Merrick Blvd bus to Freeport. There I changed to Utility, which I recall having the ticket-printing cash register that many bus companies used. I think the fare from Freeport to Oakdale was 35 cents. I had bounced along the horrible pavement of Merrick Blvd, Queens. Utility Bus Lines on Merrick Road was fast enough, but there were slow and narrow sections at places, ten years before Nassau County widened and straightened Merrick Road in Bellmore and Seaford.
-----
I found that my friends were away at the beach that afternoon. No free lunch with them! I headed back for Freeport, Jamaica, and Manhattan, and repeated the jaunt the next day! Only young people choose that punishment. Maybe not paying higher LIRR fare was attractive.
-----
By 1973, I was occasionally riding Stage Coach between Hicksville and Wantagh. Again, a cash register was used for zoned fares.
We lived near a Jerusalem Avenue Bus route that came diagonally through Bellmore, Wantagh, and Seaford to Verity Plaza. When Sunrise Mall opened, the route was shifted to Washington Avenue, the N54.
Joe McMahon
asdfasdf

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

d.marra wrote:
Mr. Linsky wrote:
Dieseljim,

Prior to the MSBA takeover, Utility Lines operated from Freeport to Patchogue. Utility lines had two other routes, from East Islip, to Central Islip, via Carlton Ave.
When MSBA tookover Utility Lines, the Freeport to Patchouge route was broken into two seperate routes, N-19, Freeport-Babylon, and S-40, Babylon-Patchogue. Both routes were operated by MSBA, until Suffolk Transit assumed operation in 1975.
In June 1973, The East Islip-Central Islip route, was operated by Suffolk Transit, as S3c. When Suffolk began operation of S40, the 3c route was extended from East Islip to South Shore Mall in Bay Shore.

D. Marra aka Mr. Schenck

I think we have a problem. If I remember correctly, the N19 (Babylon-Patchogue) ran under MSBA from June 1973 until somewhere in 1975. Then in 1975 Nassau County started having problems giving subsidies to MSBA and MSBA began cutting routes/service. This is when the Bayville-Glen Cove route died. The eastern end of the N19 was also terminated at Babylon and someone (I don't remember who) operated a new 'S40' route from Babylon to Patchogue.

After a couple of years of POOR (or less) service, MSBA was brought back in as a "contractor".

I have the first MSBA timetable for the S40 dated March 2, 1977. In it , it announces:

Babylon-Patchogue Bus Service is Back!
To better serve the transportation needs of area residents,
the Metropolitan Suburban Bus Authority, in cooperation
with Suffolk County, has assumed responsibility for the
operation of the S40 route between Babylon and Patchogue.

MSBA then operated the S40 until early 1981. the last MSBA S40 timetable that I have is January 1981 and the first Suffolk County S40 timetable I have is July 1981.

1981 is when Suffolk County started buying new buses and giving them to local operators, which was the beginning of "Suffolk Transit".

Bob K
Hart Bus

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To "MR. McMAHON!"

I believe the bus from Jamiaca to Freeport was run by Bee Lines. My mom and I would take it on Merrick Road, when returning to Queens from visiting relatives in Lynbrook.

To Bob K.

Since I don't get to the South Shore very much, I think the contractor for Suffolk County is or was Louis Fuocco (sp?) Bus Lines.
asdfasdf

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hart Bus wrote:
To "MR. McMAHON!"

I believe the bus from Jamiaca to Freeport was run by Bee Lines. My mom and I would take it on Merrick Road, when returning to Queens from visiting relatives in Lynbrook.

To Bob K.

Since I don't get to the South Shore very much, I think the contractor for Suffolk County is or was Louis Fuocco (sp?) Bus Lines.

Correct, the Jamaica-Freeport was Bee Line (the current N4). Louis A. Fuoco Bus Line ran the routes east of Patchogue. The current S40 is operated by Suffolk Bus. They MAY have operated the S40 between 1973 and 1975; just an uneducated guess.

Bob K
Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a bit of 'Bee Line' nostalgia for you;

Pictured is a 1932 'ACF' model 901 operating as fleet # 184 for Bee Line, Inc (L.I.) and signed for Grant Park for the Jamaica - Hewlett run.

I believe the photo was taken at the old Jamaica terminal (pre New York Boulevard and 165th. Street sites) and you may notice a North Shore Bus Company ACF in the background.

Bee Line was the dominant operator in Jamaica for only a short time and lost its franchises to North Shore due to poor service and dilapidated equipment.

d.marra

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob K wrote: I think we have a problem. If I remember correctly, the N19 (Babylon-Patchogue) ran under MSBA from June 1973 until somewhere in 1975. Then in 1975 Nassau County started having problems giving subsidies to MSBA and MSBA began cutting routes/service. This is when the Bayville-Glen Cove route died. The eastern end of the N19 was also terminated at Babylon and someone (I don't remember who) operated a new 'S40' route from Babylon to Patchogue.

After a couple of years of POOR (or less) service, MSBA was brought back in as a "contractor".

I have the first MSBA timetable for the S40 dated March 2, 1977. In it , it announces:

Babylon-Patchogue Bus Service is Back!
To better serve the transportation needs of area residents,
the Metropolitan Suburban Bus Authority, in cooperation
with Suffolk County, has assumed responsibility for the
operation of the S40 route between Babylon and Patchogue.

MSBA then operated the S40 until early 1981. the last MSBA S40 timetable that I have is January 1981 and the first Suffolk County S40 timetable I have is July 1981.

That is correct Bob. I have not had a chance to add to what I wrote since my last post. Thanks for filling in the part I missed.
MSBA did run the S40 route 1973 until 1975. Nassau County was paying for the operation into Suffolk, and wanted to add more buses as the schedules were to tight. Suffolk did not want to reimburse Nassau, as the cost was too high and did not want to pay for more buses on the route.
In 1975, at the end of the two year contract, MSBA terminated service on the S-40 and Suffolf contracted with Educational Bus in Copaige to run the service.
Educationals cost was cheaper, and Suffolks S40 riders soon found out why. Educational was operating the route with hand me down well worn buses from Bee Line and anywhere else, and part time drivers. Pasengers complained as buses were not running due to breakdowns, or no drivers.
I know, as I lived in East Islip 1974 through 1977.
Suffolk contracted with MSBA in 77 until a more reliable operator could be found. You know the rest.
As for the Glen Cove Bayville route, that was originally owned/operated by Huntington Coach. One "School bus" a day from Glen Cove, and one afternoon return trip from Bayville to GC. When Mid-Island Transit purchased the Hempstead-Glen Cove route, they also took the Bayville connection, still with only one bus.
When Mid-Island went bankrupt, all their lines were abandoned. Schenck took over the Hempstead Glen Cove route, but the Bayville route remained abandoned. MSBA never operated GC-Bayville.
The Hempstead-Glen Cove route was a "Day in the country" and I jumped on that run soon as it was open.

Daniel Marra aka Mr. Schenck
d.marra

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 10:31 pm    Post subject: Bee Line Reply with quote

Mr Linsky wrote:

Bee Line was the dominant operator in Jamaica for only a short time and lost its franchises to North Shore due to poor service and dilapidated equipment.

Hi Mr Linsky;
You seem to have your statement reversed. North Shore was the former dominant operator in Jamaica, and lost it's franchises to Bee Line and Schenck Transportation. Schenck and Bee Line operated excellant service from Jamaica and Flushing until June 1973 when MSBA of Nassau County tookover the private bus operations.
In an earlier post, you mentioned that "Schenck was absorbed by Bee Line." I can assure you that Never Happened.

Daniel Marra, aka Mr. Schenck
Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

d,marra,

This is going to be a long one!

I would direct your attention to page 7 (entitled; 'Four Zone Plan') of the October-December 2000 issue of Motor Coach Age featuring 'New York City's Green Bus Lines' which deals with the matter of Bee Line (L.I.).

If, by chance, you don't happen to have the issue handy let me quote two paragraphs written by the late esteemed historian Alan Bromberger;

"A four-zone plan for Queens was proposed by Mayor LaGuardia in the spring of 1935, the notion being that the largest operator in each zone would buy out the smaller ones and then get a franchise. Considering how long it had taken to arrive at that plan, its execution went quickly with respect to three of the zones, for which 10-year franchises were awarded in the fall of 1936. The tax rate was 7 percent of gross receipts with no annual minimum payment.

Here's the part that you'll be interested in;

Triboro Coach Corp. was franchised in the Woodside zone after acquiring four smaller operators, and North Shore Bus Corp. in the Flushing zone. Bee Line was the largest and oldest operator in the Jamaica zone but had a history of labor problems and disputes with the city, so Bee Line was left out of the original long term awards."

That fourth zone (Jamaica) was given to North Shore Bus and was maintained by them until they sold out to the city in 1947.

Bee Line's above mentioned disputes with the city at that time were based upon complaints of poor service and outdated equipment!

Bee Line was granted franchises by the city to operate routes within the city from the Nassau County line to Jamaica and could not pick up passengers inbound within the city nor could they discharge passengers outbound within the city.

The tattered 'Bee Line' of 1934 cannot be compared with the well run operation that we were all familiar with post war.

BTW; Green Line was awarded the third zone which encompassed southern Queens.

P.S.; congratulations on precipitating my 900th. post!
asdfasdf

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

d.marra wrote:

That is correct Bob. I have not had a chance to add to what I wrote since my last post. Thanks for filling in the part I missed.
MSBA did run the S40 route 1973 until 1975. Nassau County was paying for the operation into Suffolk, and wanted to add more buses as the schedules were to tight. Suffolk did not want to reimburse Nassau, as the cost was too high and did not want to pay for more buses on the route.
In 1975, at the end of the two year contract, MSBA terminated service on the S-40 and Suffolf contracted with Educational Bus in Copaige to run the service.

As for the Glen Cove Bayville route, that was originally owned/operated by Huntington Coach. One "School bus" a day from Glen Cove, and one afternoon return trip from Bayville to GC. When Mid-Island Transit purchased the Hempstead-Glen Cove route, they also took the Bayville connection, still with only one bus.
When Mid-Island went bankrupt, all their lines were abandoned. Schenck took over the Hempstead Glen Cove route, but the Bayville route remained abandoned. MSBA never operated GC-Bayville.
The Hempstead-Glen Cove route was a "Day in the country" and I jumped on that run soon as it was open.

Daniel Marra aka Mr. Schenck

Dan, I think we're going to wind up with the entire MSBA history before we're done here. You've got your "H"s confused, it was Hendrickson Bus that operated the Glen Cove-Bayville route and it was not abandoned until after the MSBA take over. A quote from Wikipedia on MSBA history says:

....and Hendrickson Bus Corp. (started 1949, its only route from Glen Cove to Oyster Bay has been abandoned, but the name Hendrickson.....

I've been doing some research at the NY State Archives and found some history on Hendrickson that answers several old questions. In 1953 their routes consisted of the following:
Oyster Bay-Farmingdale
OB-Hicksville
OB-Glen Cove
GC-Hempstead
GC-Greenvale

Hendrickson's president back then was Howard Schenck. Name ring a bell?? The PSC was told if they wanted to contact him to write to Jericho Turnpike, Floral Park NY.

As for the temporary operator of the S40, are you sure it wasn't Alert Bus that ran the route? Alert had a number of exBee Line/MSBA buses. EBT never did.

Bob K
Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Schenck,

I apologize for being terse to you in my Bee Line explanation above and that fact I failed to welcome you to BusTalk.info - I very much look forward to your input especially in matters of Long Island.

And here's one of those matters;

I am confused. A couple by the name of Combs owned Long Beach Bus Company, Nassau Bus Lines, Branch Bus Line, and had some affiliation with Rockville Centre Bus Corporation and possibly Bee Line.

However, Wikipedia (which is notorious for erroneous information) states that Nassau Bus Lines became part of Schenck.

The photo below which is a 1938 Mack model 'CW' and is standing on Mott Avenue in Far Rockaway sometime in the forties is believed to be a piece of Bee Line equipment and history does note that Nassau Bus Lines often used buses from other divisions for their routes.

A strong magnification will discern the Bee Line (busy bee) logo under the windshield and on the side of the coach.

Any logical answers?

Of interest in the same photo and seen to the left side of the frame in a parking lot are a couple of 1933 Green Line Macks.

Mr.Linsky - Green Bus Lines, Inc., Jamaica, NY

Last edited by Mr. Linsky on Sun Jul 06, 2008 2:45 am; edited 1 time in total
Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Schenck,

I apologize for being terse to you in my Bee Line explanation above and that fact I failed to welcome you to BusTalk.info - I very much look forward to your input especially in matters of Long Island.

And here's one of those matters;

I am confused. A couple by the name of Combs owned Long Beach Bus Company, Nassau Bus Lines, Branch Bus Line, and had some affiliation with Rockville Centre Bus Corporation and possibly Bee Line.

However, Wikipedia (which is notorious for erroneous information) states that Nassau Bus Lines became part of Schenck.

The photo below which is a 1938 Mack model 'CW' and is standing on Mott Avenue in Far Rockaway sometime in the forties is believed to be a piece of Bee Line equipment and history does note that Nassau Bus Lines often used buses from other divisions for their routes.

A strong magnification will discern the Bee Line (busy bee) logo under the windshield and on the side of the coach.

Any logical answers?

Of interest in the same photo and seen to the left side of the frame in a parking lot are a couple of 1933 Green Line Macks.

Mr.Linsky - Green Bus Lines, Inc., Jamaica, NY

Last edited by Mr. Linsky on Mon Jul 07, 2008 12:06 am; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Long Island & Westchester Buses All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: