BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A Possible New Law?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> General Transportation - All Other Modes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Don of All Buses

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 9:32 pm    Post subject: A Possible New Law? Reply with quote

Ok, here goes. I don't quite remember when NYC made the no bikes on sidewalks law, but... since there are a lot of bicycles on the road driving with traffic and cyclist thinking that they are driving small narrow cars, why doesn't the DMV/NYC Government just pass a law that says cyclist have to regester their bicycles and slap a license tag on the back? I mean, cyclists have to obay the same traffic laws as vehicles on 4 wheels! I ran a light one time and got pulled over and ticketed! I wouldn't mind driving a bicycle with regestration and a tag! If my bike got stolen it would be a little easer for police to ID it.
Mr. Linsky
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Don,

I know of no provision within the New York State Vehicle and Traffic Law that regulates the use of non-motorized vehicles.

However, your idea of registering bikes for both identification and the enforcement of local ordinaces that may exist or that may be written is a good one.

I believe that the New York City Police Department had a program some years ago in which they would electrically etch registration numbers on bikes and record them at no charge.

Mr. Linsky - Green Bus Lines, Inc., Jamaica, NY
THE HAT

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NYS Vehicle and Traffic Law does provide laws governing bicycles, including use of reflectors required use of hand signals. When I find the section in my copy of the VTL I will post it.
Mr. Linsky
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Hat,

My apologies - you may be correct when you say that there is a section of the NYSVTL that references bicycle operation.

What I should have said was that I 'knew' of no provision because I was talking of a time almost a half century ago when I know for sure that there was no provision yet!

I am quite familiar with the VTL and, regardless of the fact that I haven't seen a copy in years, I can still recite to you some of the sections that I, as an 18B attorney, used to deal with for my assigned clients in Brooklyn;

They were; 1111d1 (traffic signal light), 1180d (speeding), 306b (inspection), 375a (equipment) and 319 (uninsured).

Unless they have rewritten the entire code since (which is doubtful), those provisions are still accurate.

Thanks for your input.

THE HAT

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, the fault is mine, I didn't follow the entire thread. I should have completly looked before I posted.
Dieseljim
Deceased

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 10:38 am    Post subject: Bicycle Registration Reply with quote

We used to have that done at the Police Department here in Perry. I don't know if they still do now or not, but I think it is a most excellent idea.
Mr. Linsky wrote:
The Don,

I know of no provision within the New York State Vehicle and Traffic Law that regulates the use of non-motorized vehicles.

However, your idea of registering bikes for both identification and the enforcement of local ordinaces that may exist or that may be written is a good one.

I believe that the New York City Police Department had a program some years ago in which they would electrically etch registration numbers on bikes and record them at no charge.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> General Transportation - All Other Modes All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: