BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Why doesn't Gillig offer CNG buses?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Transit Bus Manufacturers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DE60LF

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 5:50 pm    Post subject: Why doesn't Gillig offer CNG buses? Reply with quote

Yes, we all know that Gillig doesn't offer CNG buses. However, I would like to know the reason why Gillig never offered a CNG bus. I know they experimented once with LNG, however, that didn't last very long.

Does anyone know the real reason why Gillig never offered a CNG bus?

I know that the peak of popularity for CNG buses (as indicated by ABQ RIDE's Neoplans and Thomases delivered 1996 and 2001, respectively) was in the mid/late-1990s and early 2000s, however, ever since diesel-electric hybrid buses came to the scene, popularity of CNG buses has declined significantly. Only in southern California is pretty much where CNG buses are still dominant. I would probably say that NABI is the market leader for CNG buses today.

Due to the declining popularity of CNG buses, it probably won't make any sense for Gillig to develop a CNG bus today, however, how come Gillig didn't enter that market during the peak years for CNG buses (mid/late-1990s and early 2000s)?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Transit Bus Manufacturers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: