BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

GBL Historical Roster
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> New York City Bus Rosters
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ser167

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Under the Grummans:590 and 591 were actually Flxible Metro A's .These buses were set up with to NYCTA specs for the Grummans that had the W/C seating .
Catfish 44

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 1:31 pm    Post subject: GBL New Look Retirements Reply with quote

Is there info out there as to the dates when Green Lines retired New Looks? Like for instance when were the 71 Flxibles retired? Were all the New Looks (GM and Flxible) scrapped? None were saved?
Mr. Linsky
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Catfish 42,

I can tell you with confidence exactly where virtually every Green Line Bus wound up through the last "Old Looks' (TDH 5106's - # 151 to 160) from 1959.

However, my records forward of that date (from the State Public Service Commission) along with those of historian Alan Bromberger (who wrote the history of the company for Motor Coach Age - Oct/Dec 2000 issue) are mirky at best.

My file shows that most if not all of the original Fishbowls were scrapped, and Mr. Bromberger's roster doesn't tell me whether the buses that he has listed as used came to Green Line or went from Green Line!

For instance; The 1970 Flxible Model 111DD-D5's (various numbers in the 400's) could have gone to Capital District Transportation Authority in 1985 or come from there (the Ohio Museum of Transportation shows no delivery of these buses to Green Line originally - nor does it show delivery to CDTA either - so I really don't know)!

I'm sorry that I can't be of more help to you, but I'll keep digging around to see what I can come up with.

BTW; Welcome to BusTalkIII - always good to see new members coming aboard!

Mr. Linsky - Green Bus Lines, Inc., Jamaica, NY
Catfish 44

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well thank you for the welcome Mr. Linsky. Those 1970 Flxibles in the 400's I don't remember at all. I only remember the low 200's. Perhaps they never made it the Rockaways, anyhow I don't remember them. From reading the roster I understand that in 1985 Green Lines borrowed a number of buses from Triboro (900's from 1964,1967,1968) among others. Am I correct, they borrowed them in 1985? That reminds me of a good question, when did Green Lines retire their last Old Looks? I appreciate your knowledge and look forward to having these convos with you!
Catfish 44

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of the ones borrowed from Triboro I recall 916, which I really liked and was a real oldtimer and no A/C unit, 951, 953, 959,970,973, and 975. All had padded seats as well as 906-1 and 913-1 from JBL.
Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Catfish 44,

You've certainly come to the right place, and you have my utmost attention!

I have written, within these forums, much about the history of Green Bus Lines (1933 to 1960) merely because of my personal attachment to the company and the fact that I worked there myself over several summers in the late fifties and early sixties.

If you will go to 'find all Mr. Linsky's posts' in my profile and thumb through, most, if not all, of your questions will be answered.

I would also recommend scrolling through both the 'New York City' and 'Bus Manufacturer's posts on the board which will give you even more information.

However, I will give you a brief synopsis herein;

Between 1933 and 1960, the only buses that Green Line ever took on used were 30 1937 Mack Model CT's 101 to 130 that were inherited by way of acquisition of the Manhattan and Queens Bus Corporation in 1943.

In fact, virtually all their older buses found their way to both Jamaica Buses and Triboro Coach including most of the Macks 601 to 635, 701 to 735 and 101 to 130, most of the TD 4506's 901 to 925 & 201 to 210, most of the TDH 4507's 926 to 950 (all of the later TDH 4507's 301 to 310 saw their final days at Reading Bus Company in Pennsylvania).

The TDH 4509's 311 to 345 went mostly to other local operators in New York along with the TDH 5104's (351 to 365).

The 15 TDH 4512's were pretty much divided between local operators (a photo below shows # 112 operating for Hoboken Transportation as their #7), and Kent State University in Ohio (specimen also pictured).

The last 10 'Old Looks' - 1959 TDH 5106's # 151 to 160 were divided between operators in Illinois and Pennsylvania (see photo of Red Arrow of Philadelphia below).

This information should get you started.

Photos borrowed for educational purposes only.

Hoboken# 7 ex Green Line # 112 (TDH 4512)

Kent State University ex Green Line (TDH 4512)

Red Arrow Lines ex Green Line # 160 (TDH 5106)

Catfish 44

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I remember the '79 GMD's to be 355-364
Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Catfish,

Let me refresh your memory;

Green Line had 15 1952 TDH 5104's numbered 351 to 365.

They also had 10 1959 TDH 5106's numbered 151 to 160 (bus # 252 above in Red Arrow livery was originally one of Green Line's 5106's).

Good night!
Catfish 44

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr Linsky I'm talking about the 1979 8cyl. Canadian built newlooks. They were numbered 355-364.
Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I apologize!

That was after my time but I should have checked the books anyway.

Thanks for the correction.

Mr. 'L'
Catfish 44

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr L., those 1959 5106's didn't stay more than 10 years with GBL did they? Those numbers were repeated with the 1970 5305s? Would you say that Green Line had any old looks in service in say 1976?
Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Catfish,

All ten of Green Line's 5106's were sold off to operators in Pennsylvania and Illinois in 1967.

The reason for the early retirement was two fold; simply put, they became out of date or passe with the onslaught of New Looks that were proliferating the fleet.

Maintaining the Old Looks meant maintaining parts for them and the company policy was always uniformity in equipment to save space and money.

That's why they were devout Mack customers before the war - they wouldn't even entertain a demonstrator from another manufacturer!

Catfish 44

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Makes perfect sense, thank you Mr. Linsky!
Hart Bus

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Linsky wrote:
Catfish,

All ten of Green Line's 5106's were sold off to operators in Pennsylvania and Illinois in 1967.

The reason for the early retirement was two fold; simply put, they became out of date or passe with the onslaught of New Looks that were proliferating the fleet.

Maintaining the Old Looks meant maintaining parts for them and the company policy was always uniformity in equipment to save space and money.

That's why they were devout Mack customers before the war - they wouldn't even entertain a demonstrator from another manufacturer!

WCA: Does you comment mean that GM New Looks and Flxible New Looks shared many of the same parts? I seem to remember that GBL ran both New Looks at the same time.

ECA
Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ECA,

The answer is yes by the virtue of the fact that both Flxible and GM New Looks shared many parts and, inparticular, drive train items.

This was as a direct result of Flxible winning a Federal Anti Trust suit against General Motors because GM refused to sell them any parts including Diesel engines.

Actually, Green Line only bought twenty new Flxibles between 1971 and 1972 (see photo below) and then had a handful of ex Capital District Transit Authority jobs purchased for them by NY DOT in the mid eighties (when they really didn't much care any more!).

Factory photo by Flxible.

WCA

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> New York City Bus Rosters All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7

Jump to: