BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Strange Destination reading

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Waynejay

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 12:06 am    Post subject: Strange Destination reading Reply with quote

This photo of MaBSTOA's T6H-5309A #4863 is actually in the photo gallery on this site. This bus started it's career at KB where it stayed until about 1980/81ish when it went to WF. The Bx1 was a KB route, but no routes terminated at Tremont - Sedgewick, The Bx40 simply passed this intersection going to/from nearby River Park Towers. The Bx1 never operated along Tremont Ave. I'm thinking the sign shop created this reading for fun?

Mr. Linsky
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Waynejay,

Is it possible that 4863 was involved in a movie shoot?

It would have been a lot of trouble for the sign shop just to hand letter something like this as a joke.

Additionally, the license plate looks a bit phony!

And, unless this photo was taken when the bus was brand new, someone sure did a great rehab!

Mr. Linsky - Green Bus Lines, Inc., Jamaica, NY
Waynejay

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Linsky,

You make a good point. I never thought of that and it makes sense. I think the license plate is right for that time. The photo is dated, April 1982. Here's a pic of 4863 nearly one year later (assigned to 146th Street depot) missing the front license plate

This photo is what #4800-4919 looked like when new.

Dan

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The license plate (11325-E) is a real plate. The blue on orange combo was issued by NYSDMV from 1973 through 1986.
Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bus # 4859 is obviously the real thing merely because it carries the same public notice placed in the same window as the earlier model MABSTOA new look behind it on the other street.

While the license plate may be correct, I am puzzled by the reverse color NY plate on the little station wagon behind it (unless it hasen't been properly registered for a couple of years).

Don't let license plates fool you though because the prop departments at most major movie studios can turn them out like you wouldn't believe (except that they are done in plastic!).

However, they are not permitted to use either real plates or existing registration letters and numbers and are usually provided with a list of permissible combinations by the state they are interested in.

If the 'Official' plates used by NYCTA at the time 4859 was photographed ended in 'E', you can bet that the plate was the real thing.

Dan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The green 4859 has the old-stlye pre-1973 orange on blue plate, and as you say the red station wagon behind it has the 1973-1986 blue on orange plate. The photo was probably taken in 1973 during the transition year from old plate to new plates.

The blue & white 4859 plate is a real 1973-1986 plate as we both agree. The jeep-type vehicle behind it has US government plates. The destination sign looks almost real, but not quite. Maybe for a movie shoot or a commercial.
Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan,

The little red car behind 4859 appears to be either a very early Toyota or Datsun from Japan although I'm not an expert in this area.

However, I don't believe it carries a government plate which would be white background with black letters.

It still looks like a New York issue to me.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> New York City Buses All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: