BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Todays travels 4/5/08

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Long Island & Westchester Buses
View previous topic :: View next topic  
libusdriver242

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 9:27 pm    Post subject: Todays travels 4/5/08 Reply with quote

Had 354 on the N22 to Jamaica... decent running bus....!!
Transferred to 393 on the N23..... that thing was a loud, cackling bus (EEEKKEKEKEEKEKEKE BOOM), but otherwise fast

Saw:
347 was on the N79
176 was on the N48
306 was on the N??
369 was on the N??
415 was on the N15 to Roosevelt Field
291 was on the N15 to Long Beach
412 was out of service at ROosevelt Field
102 was on the N22 to Hicksville
349 was on the N22 to Hicksville

Some others, but too many to list.... too tired!!
Mr. Linsky
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LIBD,

Before you go nighty nighty just a couple of questions to update me on the old Nassau Bus Line routes;

Does Long Island Bus still run lines from Long Beach and Lynbrook to Far Rockaway? and, if so, what are the N numbers?

Also; who now operates between Long Beach and Point Lookout? (the old Branch Bus run).

Good night.

Mr. Linsky - Green Bus Lines, Inc., Jamaica, NY
The Port of Authority

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Linsky wrote:
LIBD,

Before you go nighty nighty just a couple of questions to update me on the old Nassau Bus Line routes;

Does Long Island Bus still run lines from Long Beach and Lynbrook to Far Rockaway? and, if so, what are the N numbers?

Also; who now operates between Long Beach and Point Lookout? (the old Branch Bus run).

Good night.

Long Island Bus operates route N33 from Far Rockaway to Long Beach, and routes N31 and N32 from Far Rockaway to Lynbrook.

The City of Long Beach operates a shuttle service between Long Beach and Point Lookout using 30-foot Gillig Phantoms.
B53RICH

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I'm not mistaken and if someone could correct me, didn't MSBA at one time operate the N69 which is currently operated by the City of Long Beach to Point Lookout?
There's also another LIB route, the N15 which runs from Long Beach to Roosevelt Field passing through Rockville Centre between.
Here's a link to the current MTA LI bus map:
http://www.mta.info/libus/maplibus.pdf
Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

B53RICH wrote:
If I'm not mistaken and if someone could correct me, didn't MSBA at one time operate the N69 which is currently operated by the City of Long Beach to Point Lookout?
There's also another LIB route, the N15 which runs from Long Beach to Roosevelt Field passing through Rockville Centre between.

B53RICH,

I don't know about an MSBA run between Long Beach and Point Lookout but it's certainly possible especially during the original reorganization in the early seventies.

It's also very possible that they saw no profit in it and gave it over to Long Beach which would have been very practical.

The line that you mention that goes from Long Beach to Roosevelt Field through Rockville Centre was originally a Bee Line (L.I.) franchise.

asdfasdf

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Linsky wrote:
B53RICH wrote:

B53RICH,

I don't know about an MSBA run between Long Beach and Point Lookout but it's certainly possible especially during the original reorganization in the early seventies.

It's also very possible that they saw no profit in it and gave it over to Long Beach which would have been very practical.

The line that you mention that goes from Long Beach to Roosevelt Field through Rockville Centre was originally a Bee Line (L.I.) franchise.

Yes, the N69 was one of the routes taken by MSBA. It was at one time operated by Branch Bus Co. When Nassau County went through one their "we can't afford MSBA" antics, the N69 was to be dropped. The City of Long Beach stepped in and took over the route.

The N15 was a Rockville Centre Bus Corp. (not Bee) route which ran from Long Beach to Hempstead only. It was extended to Roosevelt Field when the N79 was cut-back to Mineola.

Bob K
Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rrbob wrote:
Mr. Linsky wrote:
B53RICH wrote:

B53RICH,

Yes, the N69 was one of the routes taken by MSBA. It was at one time operated by Branch Bus Co. When Nassau County went through one their "we can't afford MSBA" antics, the N69 was to be dropped. The City of Long Beach stepped in and took over the route.

The N15 was a Rockville Centre Bus Corp. (not Bee) route which ran from Long Beach to Hempstead only. It was extended to Roosevelt Field when the N79 was cut-back to Mineola.

Bob K

Bob,

You're right and you're wrong!

Yes, Rockville Centre Bus Corporation did operate the line between Long Beach and Hempstead as a subsidiary of Bee Line!

Many times through the years Bee Line's own equipment was substituted on the route. I remember this very vividly because my parents had a summer home in nearby Atlantic Beach and I used the Long Island RR from Long Beach because parking was easier than at Lawrence or Cedarhurst.

The bus terminal was on the west side of the station and I used to see them coming in and out while waiting for the train.

There were buses from Long Beach, Nassau Bus Lines, Branch and Rockville Centre/Bee Line.

Bee Line stood out in my mind because they were essentially a central and north Nassau operation to Jamaica, and I was unaware of their relationship to Rockville Centre.

B53RICH

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was unaware that the N79 once went further than Mineola. I'm assuming it went to Hempstead. Around what year did this change take place and also who operated the N79 before MSBA? Thanks!
asdfasdf

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

B53RICH wrote:
I was unaware that the N79 once went further than Mineola. I'm assuming it went to Hempstead. Around what year did this change take place and also who operated the N79 before MSBA? Thanks!

I have a copy of a "Nassau County Bus Route Map". Unfortunately, it is undated. There is a list of operators which include Semke Bus and Mid-Island Transit. They went out of business in mid 1970, so the map is at least that old.

It shows the following:
N79 - Hempstead-Plainview-South Huntington (via Washington Ave, Old Country Rd++)
N79A - Hempstead-Plainview (via Clinton Street++)
N79B - Hicksville-Plainview-Old Bethpage Loop

The operator at that time was Mid-Island Transit. I believe Hempstead Bus operated it after Mid-Island. We will NOT discuss the Mack suburban I saw operating for Star Bus on that route.

A September 1974 MSBA timetable shows the N79 as going to Mineola. The N79B is history.

Bob K
B53RICH

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I once saw an old street map which I don't know how accurate it was, showing a bus route making a U-turn at Old Country and Round Swamp Roads, basically today's N78 portion. Was this the N79B Old Bethpage Loop or was there some other discontinued routing, also which streets were used if so? Thanks again!
asdfasdf

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

B53RICH wrote:
I once saw an old street map which I don't know how accurate it was, showing a bus route making a U-turn at Old Country and Round Swamp Roads, basically today's N78 portion. Was this the N79B Old Bethpage Loop or was there some other discontinued routing, also which streets were used if so? Thanks again!

No, per the map:
via B'way, Woodbury Rd, Manetto Hill Rd, Plainview Rd, Haypath Rd, Old Bethpage Rd, Old Country Rd.
Runs Monday thru Saturday.

So basicly it overlapped part of the N79/N79A but then went south of Old Country Road and did a loop.

Bob K
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Long Island & Westchester Buses All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: