BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Todays sightings

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Long Island & Westchester Buses
View previous topic :: View next topic  
libusdriver242

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 9:43 pm    Post subject: Todays sightings Reply with quote

went to Mineola today......saw plenty of buses

145- N22/24 (couldnt tell)
134 N40 to Freeport
143 Jamaica
332- N22 Hicksville
411 N23 manorhaven
462- N22 to Jamaica
397-N24 to Hicksville/jamaica (saw it twice)
322- ??
300- Could'nt read the sign
183-couldnt tell
126- N24.......??
142 N79 to walt whitman mall
202 N40 Freeport
406-?? (but i hate that bus.... piece of ______

also, on 322 they put a cover for the sign from the 200 series orions, and put it on 322, so you couldnt see was was there .... (only "OT IN SERVI)

Although i know this is a bus forum, Also went on the train today. Rode in cab car 5016 (friends with the engineer.... great guy) and talked to my favorite conductors.
On the way home, sat with the same conductors except was goin the opposite way (EAST), and sat in cab car 5007. Same crew, just different equipment.... blew the horn.... had a blast.....
Mr. Linsky
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

libusdriver242,

First of all, welcome to BusTalk, and your railroading comments are just as welcome (at least to me - I'm an old Long Islander).

I assume that the 'cab car' that you speak of is part of a 'push/pull' Diesel configuration where in a particular direction the engine pushes the train with the motorman or engineer operating it from the front of the first passenger car.

The Long Island as well as most commuter railroads nationwide use this system due to the difficulties in the rearranging of equipment at terminuses.

However, there are some very present dangers in the use of the 'cab car' method as I have outlinned below in a 'Letter to the Editor' of the Los Angeles Times back in 2003 which concerned a then recent train wreck in Burbank (Ca.).

Quote;'The particular train involved in the accident was in 'Push' mode meaning that the locomotive was at the rear of the procession with the motorman or engineer operating it remotely from the front of the first passenger car.

I believe that the derailment of the cars along with the many injuries suffered by both passengers and crew could have been minimized or avoided altogether had the locomotive been in front (where it belonged!).

Diesel locomotives far outweigh railroad passenger cars and have formidable frontal protection (which passenger cars do not) enabling them to 'plow through' most collisions with vehicles at crossing gates!

It is also interesting to note that in 'push' mode if the lead passenger car is derailed kinetic energy generated by the engine in the rear will cause the entire train to derail accordian style which is exactly what happened in the Burbank accident!

Perhaps the railroad industry should take a closer look at this practice." Unquote

There have been congressional inquiries into this matter but thus far the railroads have strenuously opposed any change in their method of operation!

Mr. Linsky - Green Bus Lines, Inc., Jamaica, NY
Mr. Linsky
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As coincidence may have it, today begins the trial here in Los Angeles of a gentlemen who is alleged to have caused one of the worst train wrecks in southern California history which occured in 2005.

In the indictment, the District Attorney charges that the defendant deliberately left his vehicle on a railroad track resulting in the derailment of one train which then sideswiped another traveling in the opposite direction killing eleven and injuring hundreds more (the death penalty is on the table in this case!).

The irony here is the fact that the derailed train was in 'Push' mode at the time of the 'unpurpose' (I call it an unpurose because this was no accident!).

It's too bad that my letter of 2003 to the Los Angeles Times (a copy of which appears earlier in this forum) wasn't taken more seriously because it might have helped to avoid the 2005 tragedy!

Mr. Linsky - Green Bus Lines, Inc., Jamaica, NY
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Long Island & Westchester Buses All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: