BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

[OH] Queen City Metro 690 & 695

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Surface Transit - Eastern United States
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ripta42
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:18 am    Post subject: [OH] Queen City Metro 690 & 695 Reply with quote

Are these two buses still on the property?
timecruncher

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very doubtful -- all of the ex-MBSTOA buses were retired a couple of years ago, and with the delivery of the first low-floor New Flyers the last of the Neoplan AN440s were retired.

The CTHA meeting is tonight -- if I get up there, I'll ask around. Most of my Metro contacts have retired (if I were still driving, I'd be #2 or #3 on system seniority today), but should know...

timecruncher
ripta42
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CTHA's Metro roster says 690 was used for a light rail promotion in 2000 and 695 was saved as a handicapped training bus in Silverton. I suspect the info is a bit out of date, though.
timecruncher

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems I heard something about that. I'll check my sources up at mother Metro and see what I can find out.

Meh - Streetcar/Light Rail is a dead issue in Cincinnati right now. SORTA/Metro is preparing to make a 12% across-the-board reduction in service along with a fare increase, due to reduction in state funding and both lower fare and tax revenues in Cincinnati.

We're doing the same in Louisville. About 10% cut in service with no fare increase. We may well have to do the same again in June. Not nice for transit, but we can't just print money like our president and his irresponsible Congress!

timecruncher
timecruncher

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best as I can learn, 690 and 695 (formerly 290 and 295, both ex-MBSTOA Grumman 870 models) are no longer in the active fleet at Metro in Cincinnati.

690 is in the storage lot reserved for fleet that is being disposed of, along with a handful of leftover and very rusty Neoplan AN440s and a bunch of Gillig Phantoms which I drove when I was still up there. 695's location is unknown. It may have already been disposed of.

As a driver, I was never terribly enamored of the Flxibles, even though the rebuilt ex-New York buses were mostly good-running vehicles. I always considered the Flx to be a cheap imitation of a good bus. Don't even ask me my opnion of the cursed AM-General!

I dearly loved the Neoplans - good handling, good running, but wow, did they rust out fast. The Gillig Phantoms were durable, reliable, uncomfortable, noisy and certainly not a driver's bus.

timecruncher
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Surface Transit - Eastern United States All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: