BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

NY 5th Avenue Coach Company 1885-1960 by Ogden - A review

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hart Bus

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 1:28 pm    Post subject: NY 5th Avenue Coach Company 1885-1960 by Ogden - A review Reply with quote

Just got this book via Amazon on Monday and I hate to say that its a big dissapointment. The book tells the history up until 1960. Only a brief mention that there was a takeover by the MTA. No mention of STS or the events leading up to the strike in 1962 or the subsequent formation of MABSTOA and the takeover.

Most of the pictures are of Yellow Coachs models 720 & 735. There are some pictures of earlier equipment. There are only a few shots of the Old Looks , Macks and only one of a Fishbowl. No mention or shot of the Old Looks that had the "boxes" on the front to hold the Flourescent bulbs behind the signs. I also remember that some of the Old Looks were painted in a blue and gold livery for some reason. Again, no mention.

Most of the shots are of buses signed for the #15 route and the author goes into the history of the route, who drove the first bus, etc. While my favorite route was the #15 since I always rode it, a little more depth on other routes and less on the 15 would have been welcomed.

There are no rosters of buses or garages.

However to answer the question I posed in another thread about the Jackson Heights garage, theere is a passing reference to it being located at 76th and Northern and that the MTA (not Mabstoa) sold it in the late 60's.

Overalll I would say that the book was a big letdown, not living up to my expectations. An effort that fell far short of what it should have been.

Remember this is only my opinion. I don't know the author, nor have any financcial interest in Inconographix or Amazon.com.
Cyberider

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the review, Hart Bus. I was considering this book but maybe I don't really need it considering the number of books I already have.
Mr. Linsky
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ECA,

Sounds to me like Guy Martin's 'New York City Transit Buses - 1945 to 1975 Photo Archive' does a much better job with FACCO despite a mistake here and there!

He covers it totally from day one!

Regards.

WCA

Hart Bus

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WCA: After reading your post I looked back at Guy Martin's book and found your comments to be correct.

Not only did he do a better job, but upon quick review Ogden copied word for word from Page 11, second paragraph of Martin's book, starting "All Fifth Avenue Coach routes bore numbers (only)......." Part of the next paragraph is also plagarized!.

Both books are published by Iconografix. and Iconografix Archives is shown in the bibliography.
RailBus63

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The definitive history of Fifth Avenue Coach is still the July 1971 issue of Motor Coach Age.
Hart Bus

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RailBus63 wrote:
The definitive history of Fifth Avenue Coach is still the July 1971 issue of Motor Coach Age.

Thanks for the heads up...I'll be at the Rutgers show and if the past is any indication, there is a group selling back issues of MCA. I'll be looking for it.
Mr. Linsky
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hart Bus wrote:
RailBus63 wrote:

Thanks for the heads up...I'll be at the Rutgers show and if the past is any indication, there is a group selling back issues of MCA. I'll be looking for it.

If anyone finds one, please make me a copy.

Thanks.

Mr. 'L'
Q65A

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree completely with Hart Bus.
I received my copy of the new FACCO book, and I was quite disappointed.
This book is more a photo essay than a photo history.
There actually was little history, and the photos were repetitive.
If you like Yellow Models 720 and 735, there certainly are plenty of photos of those double deckers in action, but the rest of FACCO's fleet was not covered in any detail.
I was expecting a detailed roster, but there was none.
Mr. Linsky is absolutely correct: Guy Martin's book was infinitely better (as was Jim Greller's NYCTS Bus & Trolley Coach Fleet).
I'll definitely will be looking for the JUly '71 issue of MCA on eBay and elesewhere.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> New York City Buses All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: