BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

'AN UNUSUAL PHOTO'

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. Linsky
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 4:37 pm    Post subject: 'AN UNUSUAL PHOTO' Reply with quote

Here's an unusual photo taken sometime in 1939 or 1940 at Fifth Avenue and Forty Second Street in Manhattan showing a Kansas City Police officer (left) assisting one of New York's finest on traffic control.

I don't have any answer as to why except that he may have been augmenting NYPD during the World's Fair.

Of note, and the focus of the picture that I am seeing, is the open deck Fifth Avenue Coach operating northbound on the avenue which was then two way (note the odd 'No Left Turn' sign facing downtown traffic and which was originally a One Way fixture.

The bus, built on a Yellow Model 'Z' chassis sometime about 1930, continued to see summer service through World War II and then was retired with all others of its class in 1946.

Also of note in the image is one of the most well stocked public libraries in the world (right side of frame), and the then almost new Empire State Building in the background (the Earth's tallest at the time).

Photo courtesy of New York City Archives.

Mr. Linsky - Green Bus Lines, Inc., Jamaica, NY

Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As long as you enjoyed that photo, let me show you another one taken in about 1937 but focusing on 42nd. Street looking west as it crosses Fifth Avenue.

Notice the ornate 'Fifth Avenue' traffic signal in the lower left hand corner of the frame as well as the wonderful trolley cars that I presume belonged to the Third Avenue Railway System (TARS).

Also of major note off in the background is the Sixth Avenue 'L' that was demolished not long after this picture was taken.

How dangerous it must have been for passengers getting on and off the trolleys in the midst of traffic whizzing by!

Aren't the cars and especially the taxis interesting though?

Enjoy.

Mr. Linsky - Green Bus Lines, Inc., Jamaica, NY

HwyHaulier

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Linsky wrote:
...the wonderful trolley cars that I presume belonged to the Third Avenue Railway System (TARS)...

Mr. 'L' -

Presumption correct! Notice these were open side cars, though one couldn't directly board or alight from the seats. A somewhat
more elegant approach to fresh breezes thru the Summer months? (To this day, contemporary shopmen still whine about fitful
electro- mechanical A/C devices!)

I'll suppose TARS wasn't completely heartless, and used closed side, heated cars in the cold months...

Aging, period views of cars on the Brooklyn Elevated lines are amusing, too...

.................Vern...............
Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vern,

For my 'landmark' 1700th. post, I'll say this;

I don't know too much about traction cars but would it have been possible that these TARS were convertible in the sense that windowed sides were installed for winter operation? - it would make sense in my mind at least.

I think Fifth Avenue Coach did some experimenting with their open topped Z's and tried winter roofs - it wouldn't have been difficult for them because they built the original bodies.

Regards.

Mr. 'L'
HwyHaulier

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr 'L' -

We may be seeing examples of the "convertible" types. Some turn of the century cars used the feature...

I don't have much info on the old TARS, though it seems to me the line did operate the types. For the
cold months, windowed side panels installed, as you noted...

..................Vern..................
B53RICH

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember similar looking traffic signals as that one on Fifth Avenue back in the 1960's.
Hart Bus

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WCA:

There is a book, probably available on Amazon, about the history of TARS. Although I have never seen a copy I would assume it would answer some of your questions.

I am a member of the Shoreline Trolley Museum which has two TARS in our collection. #316 is a single truck car. Riding it is like being on a teeter-totter. The other car is #629, which is operated as an open air car since we don't operate in winter. What makes 629 unique is that the brake is also the deadnan's control. You keep the pedal all the way to the floor to run the car and let it lift up to stop the car.

For some more information go to www.bera.org then go into the "collection secton" and punch in those two numbers.

ECA
Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple of follow up photos along Forty Second Street showing more clearly the Sixth Avenue L station.

Notice the ornate iron work on the L stairway as well as the glimpse of part of the TARS name on the passing trolley in the lower image.

It must have been a great time in New York, and I agree with Cyberider when he says we were born in the wrong era!

All photos courtesy of New York Archives.

Enjoy.

Mr. 'L'

ripta42
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HwyHaulier wrote:
We may be seeing examples of the "convertible" types. Some turn of the century cars used the feature...

I don't have much info on the old TARS, though it seems to me the line did operate the types. For the
cold months, windowed side panels installed, as you noted...

All of the open bench cars in the TARS fleet also had open platforms, and most had been taken out of service decades before this photo was taken.

TARS had a large number of convertibles in its fleet. The car in the photo is likely one of the 851-1125 series, built by Brill in 1909. It's on the 42nd Street Crosstown route (today's M42) as evidenced by the "X" on the route sign and the car type; modern home-built closed cars in the 551-625 series held down service on the Broadway line (today's M104).

Speaking of open cars, TARS also had a small fleet of "splice" cars - half-open, half-closed double truck cars made by sticking a single truck open cable car and a single truck closed cable car together and adding trolley poles.

Last edited by ripta42 on Thu Oct 29, 2009 7:42 am; edited 1 time in total
ripta42
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hart Bus wrote:
I am a member of the Shoreline Trolley Museum which has two TARS in our collection.

TWO?!

You forgot 220, 830, 884, and sweeper 59. Also, TTC sweeper S36, originally built for Eastern Mass St Ry in 1920, was owned by TARS from 1925-1948.

TARS cars at Branford
HwyHaulier

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ripta42 -

ripta42 wrote:
...Speaking of open cars, TARS also had a small fleet of "splice" cars - half-open, half-closed double truck cars made by sticking a single truck open cable car and a single truck closed cable car together and adding trolley poles...

Many Thanks! I knew TARS had been on the streets, quite a few years back. Beyond that, for me it is largely one of those voids,
where I haven't filled in the blank spaces...

The "splice" cars? On the Other Coast, custom at some properties where they were thought as California Cars. San Francisco,
Market Street Railway, IIRC, had some drawings and so on for a design done as part of a new streamliner (read moral equivalent
of PCC). It never happened...

...................Vern...............
Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

O. K., now that we're on the subject of traction cars, can anyone identify the trolley seen passing the Staten Island Coach number 142 in the image below.

Could it have been a surface division of the Staten Island Railroad (SIR)?

The livery under the windshield (if that's what they called them) seems unique and may be easily identifiable.

Thanks.

Mr. 'L'

HwyHaulier

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Linsky wrote:
...Could it have been a surface division of the Staten Island Railroad (SIR)?...

Mr "L" -

Most likely, an emphatic: NO!

S I RR was simply an alter ego of the B & O RR. The S I RR control helped worked the magic that B & O served New York direct,
tho it lacked the actual track, north of Philly, to its interchange in Northern NJ with the S I RR...

The old timers knew how to do slick deals, too! <G>

...............Vern...........
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> New York City Buses All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: