BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

'A FIRE TRUCK THAT ONLY KIDS COULD APPRECIATE'

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> General Transportation - All Other Modes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. Linsky
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 11:42 pm    Post subject: 'A FIRE TRUCK THAT ONLY KIDS COULD APPRECIATE' Reply with quote

When I was a youngster (and I was a youngster at one time) my fascination with buses was second only to my fascination with fire trucks.

And with good reason because the Kew Gardens/Forest Hills section of Queens, New York where I grew up was fortunate enough to have protecting it one of the best fire trucks ever conceived and built and that, of course, was a 1936 Ahrens-Fox Model HT open cab with its eye catching front mounted piston pump (shown in upper frame at an active house fire in Kew Gardens circa 1950).

The most interesting element seen on what was Engine 305 was the large chromium plated ball which was actually a surge tank that was used to equalize water pressure on the pump side while the same task was performed on the hose side by the cylindrical shaped tank just ahead of the ball.

In layman's terms, these devices were able to produce upwards of 1,000 gallons of water per minute at the nozzle! (with enough pressure to reach the top of a ten story building).

The 1939/1940 World's Fair Corporation also purchased three Ahrens-Fox centrifugal pumpers (see sample in lower frame) built on Schacht chassis, which were delivered on April 20, 1938. These units were designated SC models, had closed cabs, Hercules engines, Hale pumps rated at 500 gpm at 120 psi, carried serial numbers 9043 through 9045, and were much smaller than the pumpers being purchased by New York at the time, having a wheelbase of 168.5 inches and an overall length of 21 feet 9 inches. Their cost was $5700 each.

The SC's and two additional HT's were turned over to the city upon the closing of the Fair.

Of the several preserved Ahrens-Fox's, the one said to be in the most pristine condition and which was never in need of restoration is displayed at the Hall of Flame fire-fighting museum in Phoenix, Arizona.

Upper photo courtesy of Jay Rogers.
Lower photo courtesy of World's Fair Corporation Archive.

Mr. Linsky - Green Bus Lines, Inc., Jamaica, NY

Cdntruckphotog

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That second picture, Mr.L, seems somewhat deceiving.
There is snow on the ground but no icicles from any of the connections.
There appears to be no snow stuck to the tires; nothing kicked up under the wheel wells. Is NYC snow different from that which blankets Toronto?
The chap pointing the hose appears bare handed too.
Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

C.T.P.,

The photo, which was undoubtedly staged, must have been taken on a warm day immediately following a snow storm.

They had plenty of time for their publicity shots because the Fair was only open during the summer months.

Thanks for the comments.

Mr. 'L'
Hart Bus

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WCA: Was the top engine part of the FDNY? If so, what engine company? The spare tire obscures that info.

A coindence, to say the least, that this fire engine story was posted on the same day that two FDNY trucks collided with each other in Bushwick Brooklyn, causing the Ladder Truck to tip over and the brand new (3 day old) engine truck to crash into a row of cars. About 8-10 of NY's Bravest were injured. Thankfully none of the injuries are life threating.
Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ECA,

Always sorry to hear about firemen who may have been injured on their way to saving lives! - hope they're all O.K.

The Ahrens-Fox pictured above at a house fire in Kew Gardens was Engine Company 305 and shared quarters with Hook and Ladder Company 151 (an FWD tractor) on Queens Boulevard at about 72nd. Road in Forest Hills.

Pictured below is a perfectly preserved A-F belonging to the Rockville Centre Fire Department which is used only in parades and what might amount to fire truck fests on Long Island.

Images of FDNY Ahrens-Fox Engine Company 260 and a preserved specimen at the Hall of Flame in Phoenix also shown below.

I'll tell you one thing; driving these A-F's must have been a whole lot of fun!

Regards.

WCA

Hart Bus

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WCA:

I remember the firehouse you are talking about but I think it is a little east of 72nd, more like 75th Avenue, but I haven't passed through Forest Hills/Kew Gardens in a while

One of the volunteer companies here in the Town of Huntington, (I think its Halesite) has preserved a F-A engine that is displayed and paraded in all the Firemen's Fair over the summer. I'll be on the lookout next year.

ECA
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> General Transportation - All Other Modes All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: