BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Capital Airlines Viscounts and Eastern's Electras
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> General Transportation - All Other Modes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HwyHaulier

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

timecruncher -

IIRC, ACF built equipment more the territory of West/ Midwest lines? Wasn't there a good bit of it on MoPac Eagle trains?

Pullman-Standard equipment? Haven't I read Bombardier now owns the Chicago area site? Presumably, they also have some of the old trade secrets?
The problem with the older P-S build was always the sheet steel. If upkeep wasn't careful and regular, it quickly dissolved into, "...ashes to ashes,
rust to rust..." states...

Meanwhile, the Budd cars built for the ages...

..................Vern................
Cdntruckphotog

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 3:44 pm    Post subject: VIA Corridor Service coach Reply with quote

VIA 4112
ex AMTK 3852
nee SOU 952 (1949)

HwyHaulier

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cdntruckphotog -

Hmmm... Lovely! Simply lovely! You just would make me scramble to find an old Equipment Register here! From appearances, it looks like
a fifty-six (56) seat "long hauler" with the large lavs and dressing rooms at each end.

A large national, US operator, which shall remain nameless, maybe they still haven't caught on to the nice amenities of the design...

I had a good, but completely quirky trip, between BAL and Orlando, and return, some years back. The consists ran the "Blue Light Special",
"Going Out Of Business" sale, bought on the cheap, Budd cars. Geez! Those coaches were not in the long haul leagues! Little more than
high seat count (84?) day coaches on Florida runs! Perverse logic run amok!

It wouldn't surprise me if the old SRS coaches continue to show up on ready lists fifty years forward!

......................Vern.................
Mr. Linsky
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great photo and it does resemble a Pullman.

About all I can offer is the attached images of a Double Deck Long Island Rail Road car.

A little history;

Fleet number 200 below was among LIRR's first "Double Deckers", and the first all aluminum passenger car ever to be built. (it was not a Bi-level - there was only one floor and you either walked up or down to the seats as is demonstrated in the interior shot.

200 was built in 1932 and is currently owed by the Railroad Museum of LI, awaiting restoration, as shown in the second picture.

Rumor has that these original DD's were air conditioned but I cannot substantiate that fact.

Photo number one comes from the famous Ron Ziel collection, and is one of many available in his book 'Steel Rails to the Sunrise'.

Mr. Linsky - Green Bus Lines, Inc., Jamaica, NY

HwyHaulier

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Linsky wrote:
Rumor has that these original DD's were air conditioned but I cannot substantiate that fact.

Mr. Linsky -

Oh, I'll give that a conditional "maybe" on the claim. B & O RR had a few A/C diners at about the stated date. Early photos, if of both sides
of the car, would possibly provide enough cues to settle such a claim...

You like the ex SRS coach do you? It reflects the style of the quite comfortable, long haul coaches on many lines. As a rule of thumb, the cars
set up with forty-four (44) to fifty-six (56) seats, and large lav/ dressing room areas at each end. Paradise lost? To think, the lines had
equipment built to cater to rider comfort!

....................Vern..............
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> General Transportation - All Other Modes All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: