BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

'THE BULLDOG MACK & ITS FACCO CONNECTION'

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> General Transportation - All Other Modes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. Linsky
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 6:31 pm    Post subject: 'THE BULLDOG MACK & ITS FACCO CONNECTION' Reply with quote

The following photographs have been languishing in my camera for a couple of months and the Mack Model 'AC' chain drive delivery truck that they reflect is the subject of this post.

My wife and I were invited to a lovely cocktail party here in L.A. at the Petersen Automotive Museum one evening in July and, while no pictures were permitted inside the facility (why, I don't know!), I was able to catch a couple of shots of the mentioned truck sitting out at the edge of the parking garage.

The AC Mack model which was built from about 1915 to sometime in the early twenties put the company on firm footing to become a leader in truck building that continues to this day.

In fact, the 'Bull Dog' appearance of the front end led to the adoption of the Bull Dog as the company mascot and logo in 1922.

Interestingly, preliminary designs for this work horse came from Dion-Bouton - a French motor coach manufacturer that Fifth Avenue Coach was testing as its first motorized bus in 1907.

The rough and ready chain drive AC Mack probably did more to advance the industrial revolution in the United States than all other makes combined.

You can read much more about it in 'BULLDOG The world's most famous truck' by John B. Montville - 200 pages of great pictures and stories.

Mr. Linsky - Green Bus Lines, Inc., Jamaica, NY

Hart Bus

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WCA: Very interesting pictures. Of course if you didn't get enough to eat at the cocktail party you could've walked north several blocks to Canter's and then slept outside CBS studios for tickets to "The Price is Wrong".

ECA
Mr. Linsky
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ECA,

You jest, but I have seen lines of people (mostly polyester clothed tourists) that circled the block around CBS as early as 6:00AM hoping to get into see some show that evening.

Canter's, which used to be a favorite for us, is now off limits because their deli counter men collect cash between making sandwiches and that's a no no as far as I'm concerned (and, as far as I know, they are the only deli left in the world that doesn't have a separate cashier for that purpose).

Regards.

WCA
Hart Bus

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Linsky wrote:
ECA,

You jest, but I have seen lines of people (mostly polyester clothed tourists) that circled the block around CBS as early as 6:00AM hoping to get into see some show that evening.

Canter's, which used to be a favorite for us, is now off limits because their deli counter men collect cash between making sandwiches and that's a no no as far as I'm concerned (and, as far as I know, they are the only deli left in the world that doesn't have a separate cashier for that purpose).

Regards.

WCA

Mr. L: Of course I am joking, just to show you I knew the area. I did stay twice at the "Farmer's Dauighter's" Motel directly across Fairfax Ave, from CBS studios. Many of the hopefully audience members would stay there due to the proximity to the studios. They had a Wall of Fame for those guests who won a lot of prizes on the show (with no cash to pay the taxes on the prizes). I was in the lobby one late afternoon and a woman came in all excited. "I kissed Bob Barker" she exclaimed. This gal was in her fifities and was acting like she had realized a life long dream. I thought the she's in trouble if that is all she wanted out of life.

As far a Canter's is concerned, it is a dump which is living off past glories. I thought the food was lousy, the decor needs updating and its not a very classy place to eat. I also thought that any of the chain fast food places ( McDonald's , etc) were a hell of a lot cleaner.

Alan Aron
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> General Transportation - All Other Modes All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: