BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mack w/3 headlights

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> General Bus Forum - All Bus Topics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:11 pm    Post subject: Mack w/3 headlights Reply with quote

I don't think this subject has come up here before; if it has, it must be quite awhile ago. Back in the late 70s/early 80s, I remember seeing a long OOS Mack (I think it might have been either a C-37 or a C-35; the bus was parked against the wall of the Hudson Bus Garage, and had another bus against it on the opposite side, so I couldn't really identify the model) in the yard of the Hudson Bus Company on Tonnele Avenue in Jersey City.

Passing by in a car, I did a double-take, and saw that this old Mack had THREE headlights. The third was right in the center of the dash, giving it somewhat of a "trolley" appearance. Could this have been some sort of Mack "experimental"? Or, possibly, some sort of "in-house" experiment by whatever company originally owned it?

I saw this unusual coach a few more times afterwards, before it disappeared forever. Just thought I'd mention this here, and see if anyone else has ever heard of anything close. Thank you in advance for any info you might have. John
Q65A

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mack buses of the '40's and '50's had circular "Mack" emblem plates (consisting of a bulldog mounted on a red background field) affixed in the center of their front panels; the BOT C-50DT's and NYCTA C-49DT's were so equipped.
I wonder if someone might have replaced the emblem with an auxiliary headlamp? Perhaps it was a "next bus" lamp similar to those used by NYC BOT on their Twin Coaches and St. Louis trolley coaches.
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Q65A: Thank you for your input; both scenarios sound plausible. If I'm not mistaken, I think Old Looks in New Orleans had a "Next Bus" light (or, maybe it was to signify bus was an express, I am FAR from sure on this one).

Auxilarly headlight? Possibly. I was never able to get any photos of this bus (though, at the time, I had vowed I would make an effort to do so one day), but never got around to doing so. |It will be interesting to see if anyone else has any ideas to share. Thanks again for your ideas....much appreciated....... John
Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excuse me for being so late this evening, but I never miss 'The Universe' on the History channel at 9:00PM on Tuesday nights - fascinating!

Q65A is correct in saying that the mid fifties Mack Bulldog logo that appeared dead center between the signal lights (which were almost headlight size themselves) as demonstrated in the upper photo below, was often mistaken for a third headlight similar to the Tucker automobile of the forties (see middle frame).

The Tucker center headlight was functional in that it turned in the same direction as the steering carriage.

New York Omnibus mentions that some St. Louis Public Service Old Looks might have had a center headlight and he was on the right track.

St. Louis, among the very first operators to receive the Yellow Old Look design in 1940 in the form of 80 TG 3601's (lower frame) custom designed them to as closely resemble their PCC traction cars as possible which included what appeared to be a center headlight under the windshield which, in actuality was just an ornament.

BTW; the anti reflective angled windshield was part of that specification and Yellow liked it so much that they adopted it for 1941.

St. Louis photo courtesy of the Motor Bus Society.

Mr. Linsky - Green Bus Lines, Inc., Jamaica, NY

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gentlemen: Many thanks for your input, opinions, and ideas. Mr. Linsky, thank you for sharing some really beautiful old photos! The first time I ever rode past that "Mystery Mack", I knew right off the bat that is was indeed a lamp of sorts in the center of the dash; the lens was evidence enough!

Awhile after this, again I passed it, and, once again, it was clear that this was a LAMP in the center of the dash, and NOT a Mack emblem. As to whether it was an "auxilary" headlight or a "Next Bus" lamp is something I wouldn't even hazard a guess on. So, for now, the "Great Mack Mystery" continues..... Thank you again, John
shortlineMCI

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And I do believe that center headlight on the blue car in the center photo turns with the steering wheel. Very cool.
Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ken,

You are absolutely right!; the center light was in some way geared to move in the direction of the steering wheels affording a driver a much better view of where he/she was heading (it was referred to as a 'directional third headlight' and was dubbed 'Cyclops'.

The 1962 Cadillac featured cornering lights (one built into each front fender between the bumper and wheel well).

Actuating the turn signal also actuated the corresponding side light which illuminated beautifully - I know, I had a 62 Caddy!

Only in the past year or two, Lexus has incorporated synchronized headlamps that follow the wheels.

Preston Tucker's 1948 era moving headlamp was only one of many advanced ideas for the time - in fact, so advanced that rumor had it that the big three (GM, Ford and Chrysler) made a concerted effort to put him out of business.

While I wouldn't doubt that they were a bit nervous about what impact the Tucker might have in the market place, it was no real effort on their part that did the car in.

Failure of almost every major component led to the demise of the Tucker with only 51 samples ever built.

For more detail on DVD, rent or buy 'Tucker; The Man and His Dream' starring Jeff Bridges released by Paramount Pictures in 1988.

Mr. Linsky - Green Bus Lines, Inc., Jamaica, NY
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> General Bus Forum - All Bus Topics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: