BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

'EX L.I.R.R.'

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> General Transportation - All Other Modes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. Linsky
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 4:24 pm    Post subject: 'EX L.I.R.R.' Reply with quote

Some old Long Island Railroad coaches never died! they just became guest houses!

Seen below is what was known as a 'Ping Pong' car circa 1917 and was designated as an MP54-C Multiple Unit.

These 54 foot long all steel coaches became the backbone of Long Island's passenger car fleet for nearly fifty years.

Some definition of model designations;

'M' designated the unit to be a 'motor' or powered control cab and the 'P meant 'passenger', with the '54' denoting the length of the car measured bulkhead to bulkhead.

While the electrics were MP's, the non-powered trailers which accounted for about fifty percent of the fleet carried a 'T' designation. Some of the earlier original purchase M and T units had clerestory roofs and not the famous arched roofs (as pictured).

Information by Dave Keller

Mr. Linsky - Green Bus Lines, Inc., Jamaica, NY

ripta42
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neato! That's perhaps even more creative a use than the one that became a rest area on the Long Island Expressway.
Hart Bus

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ripta42 wrote:
Neato! That's perhaps even more creative a use than the one that became a rest area on the Long Island Expressway.

I think that there is still an LIRR red car at the corner of Routes 347 and 112 in Port Jefferson serving as a visitior center. When I next visit the Grandson's I'll take them for a ride to check it out Very Happy
Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ECA,

There are a couple of remaining L.I.R.R. passenger cars showcased around the island;

The upper photo shows coach # 1398 at route 112 in Port Jefferson.

The lower photo coach acts as a Visitor's Center in Deer Park.

BTW; car # 1398 (upper) is a combination motor, passenger and baggage while the lower image is only a trailer.

Enjoy.

Photo credit; Mike Arnold

WCA

Dieseljim
Deceased

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 6:22 pm    Post subject: Ex LIRR Reply with quote

Now those are excellent ways to recyle old railroad equipment. Giving them new uses reduces waste. Too bad more old rail equipment is not recycled this way.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

D.D.,

Out here in Los Angeles we have no less than two Union Pacific Pullman cars (circa 1950's) that have been converted to diners.

The upper photo shows Carneys on the famous Sunset Strip (Sunset Boulevard) in West Hollywood.

The lower image is that of Carneys just over the hill on Ventura Boulevard in Studio City (note the Santa Fe caboose coupled to the coach).

Until I saw these pictures, I never realized that they used two cars for each installation.

They are landmarks and do very well even in this economy!

Enjoy.

Mr. Linsky - Green Bus Lines, Inc., Jamaica, NY

Hart Bus

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WCA: Gotta remember to visit the lower one when the Mrs and I invade your state next year. We usually stay at a Marriot on Ventura Blvd near the 405 in Sheman Oaks. From there it would be a right turn onto VB and just keep going.

Wonder what the RR car looking sheds are behind the car and caboose.

ECA
Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ECA,

From Ventura at the 405, Carneys is about three miles or so East on the North side of the street between Coldwater and Laurel Canyons.

We've eaten there a few times and its a lot of fun - there's also lots of rairoad memorabilia to see!

The rear sections are another full car at Ventura and a half of a car at Sunset and are used mostly for utilities and kitchens.

Attached are a couple of mouth watering shots as well as engineering studies for the Sunset installation.

Enjoy!

Photo crdits; Carneys

WCA

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> General Transportation - All Other Modes All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: