BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Funding sources for the NYC MTA- Look Elsewhere, NOT Upstate

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> MTA News, Current Events & Happenings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dieseljim
Deceased

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 9:14 am    Post subject: Funding sources for the NYC MTA- Look Elsewhere, NOT Upstate Reply with quote

It seems to me that the MTA expects upstate New York, especially Western New York to continue to subsidize its badly mismanaged operations and pay for its budget deficits. Well the economy through much of Western New York is depressed and Rochester area had 7000 more jobs vanish. Why should upstate New York continue to allow New York City to keep sucking the life out of Western New York, by means of the MTA and who knows what else. Look to Long Island and commuters from New Jersey for funding sources, NOT Western New York, which already has inadequate transit in many areas as it is. It is high time to make New York City a separate District akin to Washington and let it stand on its own instead of continuing to suck the life out of the rest of the state as it has been doing for years. Give it time and half of Western New York will not only be unemployed but on the Welfare rolls well thanks to our continuing to subsidize the MTA and New York City's mobbed up government. MTA should look elsewhere for its funds, Western New York is at the end of the line as for subsidizing New York City and its MTA.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
JA

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Albany has got to be the third worse state government in the country.

Upstaters are not pumping money into the MTA. The MTA's direct appropriation is approximately $500M for an $11B budget. The issue is that the MTA does not manage anything. They operate until they are broke and then want to institute massive cuts. Absent a change in philosophy, the MTA is simply going to collapse.
HwyHaulier

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JA -

Sorry, I'm having troubles with the explanation of the tax flow. I lived in Buffalo, for several years, longer back than I care to recall. Anyway,
if one was to fit in, it was useful to understand the constant complaints, "The Five Boros are draining this town dry!"

The slicksters actually controlling the taxes always quite inventive in explanations of: "You only think you see Buffalo being drained dry! Surely,
my friends, the Niagara Frontier isn't underwriting the excesses of Downstate!"
Or, so the slick would have had us believe...

.....................Vern...............
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> MTA News, Current Events & Happenings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: