BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

"Organ" Donor

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Photographs, Bus Logs and Route Suggestion Ideas
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bill D

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 5:32 am    Post subject: "Organ" Donor Reply with quote

Retired CT Transit RTS #B146 was towed from New Britain Transportation to Waterbury this past week for use as a parts donor. This vehicle was selected due to the fact that the engine was recently overhauled. After arriving here, we were able to get the bus running and move it under its' own power around the garage before the engine was removed.

In addition to the power plant, many other components were removed for possible reuse. The bus will be towed back to New Britain next week for storage until it is auctioned for scrap, along with other retired buses.

Although all of the "B" series fleet is out of service, the 35 "A" series RTS's, as well as 5 out of 6 "C" series buses are still active. The goal is to keep them in service until they are replaced by new equipment, which at this point seems to be early in 2011.

Bill

Mr. Linsky
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What can I tell you Bill?

It's just another heart breaker!

I hope the new equipment is delayed till 2021!

Mr. 'L'
RailBus63

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing a seldom-seen side of transit operations, Bill.

As it turns out, my son and I were in downtown Waterbury on Friday afternoon and photographed the RTS fleet there. The buses actually look pretty good for 13 years in service in what appears to be factory paint - certainly better than the tired C-series RTS we saw in Hartford on the New Britain route. I'll post a few photos once I have a chance to go through them.

Jim
ripta42
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why was the bus retired if the engine was recently rebuilt? Structural problems?
Bill D

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Linsky wrote:
What can I tell you Bill?

It's just another heart breaker!

I hope the new equipment is delayed till 2021!

Mr. 'L'

It certainly is heatbreaking to see the demise of one of the RTS fleet. Unfortunately, Connecticut does not invest in mid life rehabs that would extend the life of these buses, but instead sticks to a 12 year replacement policy (which always seems be be delayed in the case of the private operators). The RTS's have been a good bus for us and we wouldn't mind holding on to them until 2021, if that were possible.

On the other hand, we have obtained quite a few useable parts for our fleet from the retired New Britain buses, as well as a few souvenirs to remember them by.

ripta42 wrote:
Why was the bus retired if the engine was recently rebuilt? Structural problems?

The bus had developed a transmission problem, and that combined with the structural deterioration led to its' retirement.

RailBus63 wrote:
As it turns out, my son and I were in downtown Waterbury on Friday afternoon and photographed the RTS fleet there. The buses actually look pretty good for 13 years in service in what appears to be factory paint - certainly better than the tired C-series RTS we saw in Hartford on the New Britain route. I'll post a few photos once I have a chance to go through them.
Jim

I'm glad that you had the opportunity to visit Waterbury, Jim. Other than some touch, up work the paint is original (the original stripes are decals - you can easily spot where paint has been applied in place of them). A few years ago we did some repainting above the windows, which was never done on the New Britain or Dattco buses. One other factor that has kept the exteriors in decent shape is the fact that we do not use an automatic bus washer, but still do them by hand.

I look forward to seeing your pictures.

Bill
RailBus63

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill, does CT Transit print a current Waterbury system map? The online version is from 2005 and they've never sent me one when I've requested maps.
Bill D

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RailBus63 wrote:
Bill, does CT Transit print a current Waterbury system map? The online version is from 2005 and they've never sent me one when I've requested maps.

Jim,

An updated Waterbury system map is currently in development. If you would like a copy of the 2005 map (which has wrong route numbers for the tripper routes), send me a PM and I'll see that you get one.

Bill
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Photographs, Bus Logs and Route Suggestion Ideas All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: