BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Air France Jet Disappears over Atlantic in T-storms
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> General Transportation - All Other Modes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. Linsky
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vern,

This is probably the worst one in my memory - and the picture below has stood out in my mind all these years.

American Airlines Flight 191 to Los Angeles ended just seconds after the DC-10 started its takeoff roll in Chicago on May 25th. 1979.

As the plane lifted off the runway, the engine mounted on its left wing ripped away and knocked out crucial hydraulic lines that connected the cockpit to the wings, rendering the plane uncontrollable. The left wing lost much of its lift, and the DC-10 came down, rolled over and crashed into a trailer park near O'Hare International Airport, killing all 271 people on board and a few on the ground. An amateur photographer near the airport captured chilling photos of the plane as it turned on its side.

Can you picture what must have been going through the minds of the pilots at the moment the photo was taken?

I never liked the DC10 because the tail engine was so loud and it vibrated like a buzz saw, and landings was so hard that you thought you were going right through the runway!

Information source; Wikipedia

Mr. Linsky - Green Bus Lines, Inc., Jamaica, NY

Flight 191 in an unrecoverable bank moments before the crash. Its No. 1 engine had been severed on the runway
Dieseljim
Deceased

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:22 am    Post subject: Air France Flight 447 Reply with quote

Last report I heard was the plane transmitted messages hinting at a problem with the rudder.
Mr. Linsky wrote:
I'm just wondering if the rudder didn't fall off this Airbus just like the one did in the wake of a 747 over Rockaway just after 9/11.

I get very nervous when I fly on an Airbus - let me tell you!

Mr. 'L'
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Dieseljim
Deceased

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 7:18 am    Post subject: The B-727 Reply with quote

Don't forget the 727 that took a dive into Lake Michigan approaching Chicago. Early accidents with this aircraft all involved the landing phase of the flight. Most left a fair number of survivors behind, with the Lake Michigan swan dive being the exception.
HwyHaulier wrote:
Mr 'L' -

Thanks! I was asleep at the switch when I read the factoids, of sorts, about the Boeing and Airbus airframes. A more meaningful figure is (umm)
incidents per one hundred million miles flown.

As far as the mentality of, automate all of it, and nothing can go wrong. Sounds eerily Teutonic. Hardly a surprise when one considers the "who"
of the Airbus consortium.

Boeing has long experience, and learned the hard way, a rather Biblical kind of caveat: "A time to fly by seat of the pants, and a time not to fly by
seat of the pants."
Absent hours at the controls, the early experience with the B-727 quickly established it could be a nasty aircraft. (Years back,
I worked in South Chicago. None of us there have forgotten the day the B-727 passed, and we remarked it seemed low. Calamitous landing
in a school yard, short of Midway!)

...................Vern...............
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Dieseljim
Deceased

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 7:23 am    Post subject: American 191 Reply with quote

That picture looks like the right wing engine is about to break away from the aircraft as it is rolling over on its back before the fatal dive into the ground.
Mr. Linsky wrote:
Vern,

This is probably the worst one in my memory - and the picture below has stood out in my mind all these years.

American Airlines Flight 191 to Los Angeles ended just seconds after the DC-10 started its takeoff roll in Chicago on May 25th. 1979.

As the plane lifted off the runway, the engine mounted on its left wing ripped away and knocked out crucial hydraulic lines that connected the cockpit to the wings, rendering the plane uncontrollable. The left wing lost much of its lift, and the DC-10 came down, rolled over and crashed into a trailer park near O'Hare International Airport, killing all 271 people on board and a few on the ground. An amateur photographer near the airport captured chilling photos of the plane as it turned on its side.

Can you picture what must have been going through the minds of the pilots at the moment the photo was taken?

I never liked the DC10 because the tail engine was so loud and it vibrated like a buzz saw, and landings was so hard that you thought you were going right through the runway!

Information source; Wikipedia

Mr. Linsky - Green Bus Lines, Inc., Jamaica, NY

Flight 191 in an unrecoverable bank moments before the crash. Its No. 1 engine had been severed on the runway
Dieseljim
Deceased

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 7:29 am    Post subject: Latest on Air France (Air Chance) 447 Reply with quote

Latest on the tragedy of Air France 447 has it that the bodies of a pilot and flight attendent have been pulled from the water. If that is the case, then the searchers are getting closer to finding out what had happened. It has become apparent that the plane did indeed break up in mid air. If there is a structural flaw in the entire Airbus line of airlines besides the rudder, it could be like the deHavilland Comet episode all over again.
HwyHaulier

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 7:50 am    Post subject: Re: The B-727 Reply with quote

Dieseljim wrote:
. Most left a fair number of survivors behind, with the Lake Michigan swan dive being the exception...

Jim -

IIRC, the result of the landing short of Midway (as I recalled here on Jun 14), was ----ummmm---- "administratively final"...

Needless tragedy, as any number of the pilots weren't all that attuned to the different and fast "sink rate" of the aircraft...

....................Vern...............
Dieseljim
Deceased

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:42 pm    Post subject: Boeing 727 Reply with quote

At that time, many of the pilots who began flying the 727 had just come off the piston engined equipment that they had been flying for most of their careers up to that point.In United's case some pilots came from Viscounts as well. Not only did they encounter an aircraft that behaved differently from what they were used to but was tail heavy and had a higher sink rate, which, unless arrested in time could result in a very messy landing in more ways than one. Any jet transport with engines mounted in the rear is bound to be on the tail heavy side, thus a higher sink rate than on other jets, such as the 707 or DC8s.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> General Transportation - All Other Modes All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: