BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

'MORE RANDOM SHOTS FROM ALASKA'

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Photographs, Bus Logs and Route Suggestion Ideas
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. Linsky
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 12:11 am    Post subject: 'MORE RANDOM SHOTS FROM ALASKA' Reply with quote

Pictured below are random shots taken at Juneau, Skagway and Ketchikan Alaska between May 9th. and May 16th. 2009.

All of the 'New Looks' are T8H 5307A's operating for Royal Hyway Tours of Anchorage (now owned by Holland America Line) and are ex Golden Gate Bridge.

Notice in the top frame that the Michigan Markers have been updated and that a very small #7 appears before fleet number 807 (I asked the driver what the seven meant and he didn't know, but an educated guess would tell me that it's a division or depot number).

All of the MCI's are Gray Line of Alaska which I believe is now also owned by Holland America (it's too bad that Holland America is privately held because if it weren't, I'd sure buy stock in it - they now own virtually all transportation in Alaska!).

The final photo is of our ship - the m/s Zuiderdam.

Here's a few details on the 'dam' ship (that's what they call the entire fleet because their names all end in Dam!).

Built in Italy in 2002, the Zuiderdam is 935 feet long, 106 feet wide, can reach a speed of 23 knots, carries 1913 guests and 778 crew and serves twelve thousand meals a day.

For you engineers; Power is derived from 5 Diesel generators (3 @ 16,000 hp and 2 @ 12,000 hp, one gas turbine @ 18,000 hp all equalling 84,000 hp.

Propulsion is derived from 2 ABB Azipods at 17.5 MW each totalling 46,000 hp.

The ship never requires tugs as it has the ability to move sideways as well as 360 degrees on its axis.

I asked one of the staff if there were tours of the engine rooms and bridge and was told that since 9/11 they are prohibited.

BTW; our stateroom was just about four verandahs left of the frame on the lowest open deck.

Enjoy!

Mr. Linsky - Green Bus Lines, Inc., Jamaica, NY

Cyberider

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great photos, Mr. Linsky! What was more exciting, the glaciers or the bus ride? Laughing
Mr. Linsky
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave,

I'm not used to riding because I've been driving most of my life but I will tell you that these old 5307's are as smooth as silk, sound just the way they did when they were new and I was in awe.

But as good as the New Looks were they are dwarfed by the majesty of the glaciers!

Just to give you an idea of size; there is a stock aerial shot (which I can't find at the moment) of our 82,000 ton ship sitting in front of the Margerie Glacia (picured below) and the ice sheet, which is 250 high and at least a couple of few miles wide makes the ship look like a toy boat in a bathtub!

It's interesting because this particular glacier, which is one of the most spectacular, has receded over 65 miles in the last 200 years and actually created Glacier Bay itself!

But, I must say that they were both wonderful experiences.

Photo courtesy of the U.S. Geological Survey.

Mr. 'L'

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Photographs, Bus Logs and Route Suggestion Ideas All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: