BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

'THE 5307A'S OF ALASKA - PART ONE'

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Transit Bus Manufacturers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. Linsky
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 12:42 am    Post subject: 'THE 5307A'S OF ALASKA - PART ONE' Reply with quote

Pictured below is fleet number 830 - a 1975 GM Model T8H-5307A (ser.# 2549) operating for Royal Hyway Tours, Inc. of Alaska, and delivered originally to Golden Gate Bridge Highway and Transportation District of San Francisco, California in January of that year.

Royal Hyway operates tour buses during the summer months in a number of Alaskan seaports including Juneau, Skagway and Ketchikan which were the three stops we made on our cruise.

Interestingly, their buses (most of which are from GGB) are stored in Seattle and transported by barge to Alaska in the beginning of May each year (the towns that they service have no roads to them and are available only by sea or air).

The driver of # 830 was a young fellow by the name of Jason who was very friendly and offered to gather more information for us about the fleet as soon as he can.

The photos were taken at the dock in Ketchikan with our ship - the ms Zuiderdam - in the background.

The buses run beautifully and are kept very clean which is amazing when you consider that they are almost forty years old - a tribute to their GM guts!

There are a number of ex Alaska Gray Line MCI 9's in the fleet as well but Jason says he prefers his New Look even though it has no power steering.

Of note in photo number 6 are the cushy high back seats and the use of 'Old Look' ceiling fixtures.

Enjoy.

Mr. Linsky - Green Bus Lines, Inc. Jamaica, NY

v

HwyHaulier

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr "L" -

So, the point being, there is good reason to see an operator's coaches get to the shops for regular, scheduled upkeep and repair? <G>

I can think of a lot of candidates, now in the business, who need to receive that particular news...

.....................Vern................
Cyberider

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting info, Mr. Linsky. Bet you couldn't wait to get off the boat when you saw the New Look down there waiting to whisk you away! Interesting ceiling treatment with the bullseye lights down the center. The Alaska operators must know a good thing when they see it and are going to hang on to them for as long as possible. Laughing
Free-transfer

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anybody know where the shifter is?

I don't see it on the floor or dash. Could it be on the window side or electronic?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
ripta42
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HwyHaulier wrote:
So, the point being, there is good reason to see an operator's coaches get to the shops for regular, scheduled upkeep and repair?

That's easy when the bus is out of service half of the year!
Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cyberider wrote:
Interesting info, Mr. Linsky. Bet you couldn't wait to get off the boat when you saw the New Look down there waiting to whisk you away! Interesting ceiling treatment with the bullseye lights down the center. The Alaska operators must know a good thing when they see it and are going to hang on to them for as long as possible. Laughing

Dave,

I'll bet you're right about that! as we pulled into Juneau, which was the first stop after Vancouver, I'm out on our terrace to watch the docking and I give out a scream to my wife; "LOOK AT ALL THE NEW LOOKS! I DON'T BELIEVE IT" to which my wife says "what's a New Look" - well, she sure knows now!

I have many more photos coming up shortly.

Mr. 'L'
Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll give you some brighter shots of the dashboard - I didn't really look for a shifter.

And, while I'm at it, how about a nice cool snow drift (actually a 250 foot high glacier receding at a rate of 300 feet per year!).

The ice floating on the water is remnant of calving from only moments before the photo was taken.

Enjoy.

Mr. 'L'

v
timecruncher

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As for the shifter, I am pretty sure you could spec shifter location on the right or on the left of the driver's seat. These buses should have V730 trannies in them, no big deal to have a left-side shift lever. Actually, it makes sense. TANK's 1980 5307's had them on the right and you stumbled over it every time you got out of the driver's seat!

Nice find, Linsky! Thanks for sharing the photos!

timecruncher
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Transit Bus Manufacturers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: