BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

BSRA Trackless Trolley Trip - May 2, 2009

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Photographs, Bus Logs and Route Suggestion Ideas
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bill D

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 7:52 pm    Post subject: BSRA Trackless Trolley Trip - May 2, 2009 Reply with quote

The 33 year career of MBTA's Flyer E800 trackless trolleys ended on a high note Saturday, when the Boston Street Railway Association sponsored a final trip aboard coach #4037. A standing room only crowd rode and photographed the coach throughout the Cambridge based trackless system.

The only glitch in the trip came when the group attempted to vist Watertown Yard, where de-energized wires stranded the coach in the middle of Galen St. Fortunately, a service truck was nearby and quickly pushed the coach to a spot where power could be obtained.

The trip afforded plenty of photo opportunities, and many curious passersby stopped to ask what was going on. They were amazed that the vehicle we were photographing was 33 years old, and happy that it would be preserved in a museum setting.

Also visible on the trip was the changing transit scene in Cambridge. Where RTS's and Flyer trackless trolleys ruled for many years, the system was now dominated by New Flyer D40LF's and Neoplan ETB's.

Only a handful of RTS's were spotted, and the most in one place were three which have been converted to work vehicles, and equipped with trolley poles for removing ice and sleet from the trolley wires.

#4037 will soon be headed to the Shoreline Trolley Museum in Connecticut, where it will be displayed and operated on a trackless trolley line now under construction.

More pictures from the trip are available here: http://s157.photobucket.com/albums/t58/Billonthehill2001/BSRA%20Trackless%20Trip%20-%20May%202%202009/

Bill
Cyberider

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing the photos and info, Bill. The Flyer trolley buses didn't seem to be as junky as their Diesel-powered cousins!
sjd0356

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was on the trip as well. It was a great time!
RailBus63

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice shots Bill. I wish I could have attended - I've unfortunately missed both of the BSRA's Flyer trackless fantrips in recent years due to other commitments.
Bill D

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad that everyone enjoyed the pictures. The fact that these coaches lasted as long as they did speaks highly for the employees of the MBTA at North Cambridge. I see a lot of pride in the job that they do.

As a sidenote to this story, a couple of weeks ago at the Shoreline Trolley Museum, Philadelphia trackless #205 operated for the first time under the wires on the line being constructed there. Although the project is only about 25% complete, the trackless trolley was able to operate to the end of the wire and back. Hopefully the addition of MBTA #4037 to the museum's collection will expedite the completion of the project.

Bill
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Photographs, Bus Logs and Route Suggestion Ideas All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: