BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

One reason the MTA might be in trouble..

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> General Bus Forum - All Bus Topics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shortlineMCI

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 8:35 pm    Post subject: One reason the MTA might be in trouble.. Reply with quote

Well, in addition to my argument that management should be cut in half and the remaining half take a pay cut (like gov Patterson just did!!) How about the millions upon millions of Dollars of MCIs they bought that are STILL! being delivered TODAY as I write this. AT 400 HUNDRED THOUSAND DOLLARS A BUS THIS ADDS UP REALLY REALLY FAST Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

THEY SHOULD HAVE KEPT THE CLASSICS AND RTS' UNTIL THEY GOT THEIR ACT TOGETHER! INSTEAD OF DESTROYING PERFECTLY GOOD EQUIPMENT Now there's an idea!!! Idea Idea No fiscal responsibility so far as I can see and for their mess WE have to pay for their crap!. HOW!?!?!!?? putting toll plazas on the East river crossings.

HOW MANY 100,S OF MILLIONS IS THAT GONNA COST ME TO INSTALL THESE TOLLS? What a wreck. What a total wreck. Complete and utter irresponsibility.

off my soapbox now. I'm going to bed! LOL!
shortlineMCI

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I'm happy to report the legislators rejected the east river crossing tolls.

BUT! I still insist they should have held on to the Classics, and GMC RTS'. They still had at least ten years left and saved tens of millions of dollars.

Fiscal responsibility. Yea right.
Dieseljim
Deceased

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:42 am    Post subject: MTA Trouble Reply with quote

They should have held on to those "fishbowls" that were still serviceable and reliable as well as the Classics and RTS's. BTW, Doesn't NYC Transit Dept. of Buses still operate a large battalion of RTS's?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
ripta42
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're referring to the Blitz rebuilds NYCTA retired 14 years ago, recall that the axle of one of them came up through the floor while it was on a Staten Island express run. If you mean the NYBS GMDD units, it's possible they could have run a few more years, but they were already in the process of replacement with MCIs before the takeover (they would have been replaced by Orions even sooner, but passengers wouldn't allow it), and they would have violated NYCTA's policy of being 100% handicapped accessible.
RailBus63

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The last GMC New Look buses to operate on the New York City Transit Authority were originally built in 1970 and 1972 and rebuilt in the mid-1980's. The last of this fleet was retired in 1995 when they were 23 to 25 years old. They served the city well and it is unrealistic to expect that they should have lasted much longer. I know some people look at transit agencies in Canada that still operate Fishbowl buses, but keep in mind that almost all of the remaining GM buses up there were built in the early to mid 1980's and are just now reaching the age that the last New York City buses were at when they were retired.
Dieseljim
Deceased

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 5:27 pm    Post subject: Another Reason The NY MTA May be in Big Trouble Reply with quote

Here is yet another reason the MTA in Greater Metropolitan New York could be in big trouble: The growing resentment of upstaters over sending their tax dollars to subsidize New York City and a growing anger everywhere west of Albany over the budget dictated by the "three men in a room" that could result in massive plant closings in the Buffalo area. I am sure more and more of my fellow upstaters are asking," Why should we keep subsidizing New York City when our own economy is in the toilet as it is?" Yet it seems to me that transit properties at this end of the state, though much smaller, are better run and managed than New York's MTA. If there is a way to get enough upstaters to withhold their tax dollars from Albany, that could put the MTA on a starvation diet. That MTA has been mismanaged and is top heavy in the administrative department is why Upstaters should refuse to continue to send money down this rathole. That means withholding money from Albany. They cannot very well arrest several million people. Perhaps the MTA should go after the Jerseyites who commute into the city and drive alone in their cars with stiff tolls on the bridges. Why should Buffalo and Rochester subsidize New York City and its MTA?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
HwyHaulier

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 7:08 am    Post subject: Re: Another Reason The NY MTA May be in Big Trouble Reply with quote

Dieseljim wrote:
...Here is yet another reason the MTA in Greater Metropolitan New York could be in big trouble: The growing resentment of upstaters over sending their tax dollars to subsidize New York City and a growing anger everywhere west of Albany over the budget dictated by the "three men in a room" that could result in massive plant closings in the Buffalo area...

Dieseljim -

Oh, I know every word and stanza of the song! To get along, having newly arrived in Buffalo in 1963, it was politic to learn it. Something of
a Niagara Frontier Catechism!

We could explain, too, the unintended consequences of the St. Lawrence Seaway. How it completely wrecked the grain business at Buffalo.
Ah, the more things change...

The Buffalo area has long taken so much abuse from Albany. It is a place where, if one bought a house long, long ago, its sale value never
came close to matching year over year inflation! So, an owner had the joys of paying quite high heating bills all winter, and paying a lot of
less than kind taxes. Then go to sell the old place, and take another beating...

Something of a masochistic, "...we are doing it all for the Five Boros..." set of circumstances...

.....................Vern....................
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> General Bus Forum - All Bus Topics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: