BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

'ANOTHER QUEENS BLVD. SHOT'

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. Linsky
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 12:13 am    Post subject: 'ANOTHER QUEENS BLVD. SHOT' Reply with quote

Pictured below is fleet number 351 - a 1952 GM Model TDH 5104 and one of fifteen (351 to 365) delivered to Green Bus Lines, Inc. of Jamaica, New York in September of that year.

Dubbed as 'Gondola Cars' by Green Line's drivers, these specially built 96 inch wide buses were the first forty footers for the company and the last of GM's line to have springed suspension.

Because New York State law prohibited 102 inch widths at the time, most of the 162 5104's built by GM went to New York metropolitan area operators.

In 1966, the 5104's were sold with half going to A B & W Transit of Virginia and the balance to independent New Jersey operators.

# 351 is seen almost brand new in Sunnyside on the Queens Boulevard Q60 line heading for South Jamaica.

Many thanks to the anonymous donor who emailed this photo to me.

Mr. Linsky - Green Bus Lines, Inc., Jamaica, NY

Hart Bus

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great shot of my old neighborhood. I think it was taken from the s/e corner of QB and 48th Street at the edge of the Strauss ( now R&S Strauss) parking lot.

Bet the picture was taken in the late 50's based on the styles the people are wearing.
Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ECA,

I'm glad you can tell what street it was taken at becuase I can't! they all look alike to me!

The photo of GBL 351 was taken sometime between 1952 and 1954, and more probably closer to 1952.

My reasons are as follows;

The bus appears to be very new - no dings or dents and a spotless bumper.

The boss (Mr. 'C') always insisted upon the newest equipment being assigned to the Q60 because he lived along the route and liked to see his latest rolling stock from his livingroom window!

In 1954, the 5104's would have been replaced on the boulevard by the new 4512's (which they were).

And the clincher is simply this; in 1952, 1953 and 1954 New York State did not issue front license plates but did so thereafter!

Pictured below is number 355 from the same set taken when absolutely brand new in late 1952 (notice how red the wheels still are) in Howard Beach also sans a front license plate.

This photo was also emailed to me by the same anonymous doner to whom I am most grateful.

WCA

Hart Bus

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The location of 351 was an easy one. As it is said
Quote:
The devil is in the details
. In this picture look at the subway superstructure. You see that there is metal jutting out and continuing to the edge of the photo. That is the beginning of the trestle that goes from 48th all the way east on Roosevelt Avenue out to Flushing.
Free-transfer

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can almost taste the burgers (just behind the bus) at the White Tower restaurant on Queens Blvd and 48th street. (yuk)

And.........since we are on "name that location"....

GBL 355 was photographed in Ozone Park.
It's next to the triangle bounded by 97th street, Pitkin avenue and Centerville street. The bus is facing southbound on 97th, just before it turns onto Centerville, about a block before it turns left onto Albert rd.

The gas station is long, long gone.....
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

F.T.,

Sorry about the location on 355 - it was marked Howard Beach and it sure looked like the Howard Beach I used to go to.

Now, you talk about the White Castle on Queens Boulevard; I can count on more than the fingers of one hand the number of times I stopped there for a bagful of those very tasty burgers.

However, the last time I did so (about forty years ago), I got so sick that I never went back there or to any other fast food place again!

BTW; I think 351 is a few blocks further up from the White Castle (unless they moved it).

Mr. Linsky - Green Bus Lines, Inc., Jamaica, NY
Free-transfer

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. L,

Nope, not the White Castle, but the White Tower...a competitor of the Castle. The White Castle was by 43rd street and Queens Blvd. The White Tower was at 48th street.

I lived on both sides of the boulevard and traveled the area by foot. I guess we were considered "urban explorers" before the phrase was coined.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> New York City Buses All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: