BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Muni's trackless wonders

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> General Bus Forum - All Bus Topics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
timecruncher

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:05 pm    Post subject: Muni's trackless wonders Reply with quote

SF Muni got a bunch of Skodas as well, and if possible, they're even uglier than the Dayton units. Longer, of course, but very appropriate for a hilly city like 'Frisco, these things are everywhere.

Even so, the New Flyer units they were supposed to replace are still rattling around during rush hours!

How's this for electric overload -- Market Street looking [mostly] south, with dual TC overhead in both directions, an active streetcar line, and several diesel routes.

I'll close with this shot from one of Muni's divisions that is 100% trackless. Don't recall the name of the depot, but they run 40-footers and 60-foot artic trolleys out of this place.

Personally, I've driven a Marmon and a 40-foot New Flyer, and I pretty much understand the method by which the poles follow you around, power switches, selectric switches and such.

But I cannot quite imagine how on earth you keep track of the pusher back end of an articulated trolley coach and manage to keep the poles following you along the route.

Yeah, I know, modern TC overhead switches are controlled by turn signals and such, but s**t! Look at this mess at the division!

timecruncher
Power on left, power off right, right?
RailBus63

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Muni's trackless wonders Reply with quote

timecruncher wrote:
Even so, the New Flyer units they were supposed to replace are still rattling around during rush hours!

When I visited San Francisco in July 2007, those New Flyer articulated trolley coaches were running seven days a week! I think their pull-out motto is 'If it has poles, go ahead and take it'.
Dieseljim
Deceased

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 7:33 am    Post subject: Muni Trackless Trolleys-The Marmon Heringtons Reply with quote

What about the Marmon Heringtons and the New Flyers that looked like AM General diesels? ARe any of those still arounds?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
RailBus63

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:07 am    Post subject: Re: Muni Trackless Trolleys-The Marmon Heringtons Reply with quote

Dieseljim wrote:
What about the Marmon Heringtons and the New Flyers that looked like AM General diesels? ARe any of those still arounds?

The Marmons are long gone - they were replaced in the mid-1970's by the Flyers.

There are still a handful of Flyers on the Muni roster but they are no longer used in regular service.
Waynejay

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Muni Trackless Trolleys-The Marmon Heringtons Reply with quote

RailBus63 wrote:

There are still a handful of Flyers on the Muni roster but they are no longer used in regular service.

Were they recently pulled from regular service? I ask because when I visited San Francisco last November, I saw plenty of the Flyer E60s.

I got these two shots on a Saturday (11/1/08 ).

ripta42
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He meant the Flyer E800s.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> General Bus Forum - All Bus Topics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: