BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Question: What New Buses Will Come Next?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Q65A

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 3:30 pm    Post subject: Question: What New Buses Will Come Next? Reply with quote

It seems not very long ago that the NYC-area bus websites were buzzing with news about all the exotic new bus demonstrators that were plying Gotham's streets (i.e. M-B Citaro, Prevost X3-45, Van Hool TD925, Design Line Hybrid, Nova LFS Artic, and perhaps others now forgotten).
While Orion VII HEV NG's are coming in steadily (and now no longer are regarded as very unusual news items) I must wonder what new buses will arrive next, and on what timetable.
Similarly, I also must wonder if some of the best of the "old soldier" RTS's and Orion V diesels will be pressed into continued service until the economy improves.
What do you think about this subject?
RailBus63

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best bet seems to be an order for articulated buses for the 'Select Bus' BRT services. They will also have to eventually buy some new 40-foot city buses for ongoing fleet replacement, which should be an interesting battle between Orion and Nova.

As for new express buses - I suspect these routes will not fare well in whatever service reductions do occur, even with a likely bailout, so the MTA may be able to retire some older MCI's without having to worry about replacements right away.

That's my 2 cents worth.

Jim D.
nycbusfan

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think they would retire any MCI's. The older ones would most likely get sent to MTA Bus to bump the Orion V CNG's out of express service.
Q65A

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RailBus63 wrote:
The best bet seems to be an order for articulated buses for the 'Select Bus' BRT services. They will also have to eventually buy some new 40-foot city buses for ongoing fleet replacement, which should be an interesting battle between Orion and Nova.

Excellent point, Jim!
I had forgotten about that new Nova plant up in Plattsburgh NY; now there are 2 NY State bus manufacturers "in play".
If the Nova LFS artic performs well, it just might be a contender (although it is a low-floor design like the NF D60LF).
I also wonder if the Nova LFS (perhaps in HEV form) will start appearing in NYC?
Q65A

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nycbusfan wrote:
I don't think they would retire any MCI's. The older ones would most likely get sent to MTA Bus to bump the Orion V CNG's out of express service.
I definitely agree with you, particularly if express bus fares go up in response to implementation of MTA's latest austerity budget plans. When in Midtown, I often see CP-based Orions laying over on W. 35th St. between express runs. As a fan, I definitely like Orion V CNG's but they really are local transit buses better suited to low-speed stop and go services: it's hard to justify express bus passengers paying premium fares to ride ADB's.
Mr. Linsky
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob,

I just saw a photo only in the last few days, whether here or on another channel, of a load of LACMTA RTS's parked in rows probably at one of their facilities.

What made the image so interesting was the fact that they had had both their bicycle racks and license plates removed leading me to believe that they were being readied for sale, junk or mothballing.

I'm hoping for the latter not so much for nostalgic reasons but as back-up just in case there are shortages of new equipment due to the present dire economic situation especially here in California.

I'm certain that with a little TLC those RTS's could go on indefinately! (and it would be nice to see them now and again).

Mr. Linsky - Green Bus Lines, Inc., Jamaica, NY
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> New York City Buses All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: