BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

'KOREA GREYHOUND'

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Surface Transit - Everywhere Else
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. Linsky
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 1:45 pm    Post subject: 'KOREA GREYHOUND' Reply with quote

They say that old Greyhound buses never die - they're just reassigned!

It must have been shortly after the Korean conflict that Greyhound saw an opportunity to help the south rejuvenate itself by establishing intercity services in that far away land.

There are no statistics that I can come up with but it is probable that the company sent over a goodly number of still usable coaches to live out their second lives.

Pictured below (top) is a GM PD 4501 (Scenicruiser), and below it are two GM PD 4104's (Highway Travelers).

Many thanks to Northern California Bus Fans Photo Archive for the use of the images.

Mr. Linsky - Green Bus Lines, Inc., Jamaica, NY

timecruncher

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And now we know why there aren't more of these sitting around in junkyards around the country...

timecruncher
roymanning2000

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Korea Greyhound operation started in the late sixties or early seventies. I recall reading about it in Motor Coach Age at the time. Seems like about forty buses were involved originally. I'm not sure how long it lasted. The NorCalBusFans website has several photos of the buses sent over there.

One thing I noticed in the photos of at least some of the 4104's is the shade of blue. It looks like the dark blue as used on the 4107's when they were new, not the somewhat lighter blue that most people associate with Greyhound.

Roy
timecruncher

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The photos depict all buses that had the "modified" bus driver windows (one piece instead of the original flip-vent ones that were so leaky and annoying).

Thing is, the buses pictured all look to have 'clean' bodies with little damage/rust/dings. Can't say that about the junk Greyhound runs today!

timecruncher

Hmm. Drove PD4104's for Croswell up in Williamsburg, OH for several years during the eighties on their line run and on charters. Slow, but satisfying to drive and they were antiques even then. And I love the sound of that 6-71 inline six Detroit winding up!
Mr. Linsky
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That wind up sound going through the gears on the 4104's, 4106's and even the 5108's tell the whole story doesn't it?

I rode in the back seat of a New Jersey Public Service 5108 on route 118 from the Port Authority Terminal in Manhattan to Newark - an experience I'll never forget!

Mr. Linsky - Green Bus Lines, Inc., Jamaica, NY
HwyHaulier

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Linsky wrote:
...I rode in the back seat of a New Jersey Public Service 5108 on route 118 from the Port Authority Terminal in Manhattan to Newark - an experience I'll never forget!...

Mr "L" -

You and me both! The 118 Express Route evidently had the benefit of running the newest of PSNJ equipment. The 5108 coaches seemed
very much like it was good as it could ever get! Always made for a great, fast ride to and from PABT...

........................Vern.................
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Surface Transit - Everywhere Else All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: